Patent: Active cooling adapter for the RF mount

Aug 9, 2016
An adapter is fine, but Canon should have designed this from the ground up for video.

wrong! they designed it as a STILLS camera, you are shopping in the photography section, not the cinima section. that's what it still is, a photo camera, go get yourself a proper C300 and pay the premium and stop encrouching your wants on the STILLS people.
I DONT CARE to have a fan on my STILLS camera, it will be heavier, and less weather sealed. I'm sick and tired of these wannabe video people demanding to have everything in a 10000+ video camera from a stills camera.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
wrong! they designed it as a STILLS camera, you are shopping in the photography section, not the cinima section. that's what it still is, a photo camera, go get yourself a proper C300 and pay the premium and stop encrouching your wants on the STILLS people.
I DONT CARE to have a fan on my STILLS camera, it will be heavier, and less weather sealed. I'm sick and tired of these wannabe video people demanding to have everything in a 10000+ video camera from a stills camera.

I'm guessing you missed the last line..... "If only such a camera existed in Canon's range for people that want to do cinima...."

;-)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

"Sarchasm" (with the "h") is the gap between the person being sarcastic, and the person who fails to see the sarcasm.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Sorry but I disagree (I can't tell if your opinion is real or sarcasm). They should have done this, they should have done that. We scream too much "they should have done this". Personally, I want a small body with heating as they designed it. Someone else might have other needs. There is no way to satisfy the entire planet's need. They must decide, as a company, for a solution that they think the best. To me, additional cost, like this adapter, is the best solution. Whoever needs it, buys it. Photographers don't need it, they don't have to buy it. 8K'ers need it, let them buy it. I don't need that much 8K but I need small body for gimbal, I don't buy it. Is that too harsh as a point of view? At the end of the day, they must make compromises somewhere.
That was sarcasm, all right; 100%

Upvote 0

Nelu

CR Pro
I read today that Masaya Maeda (head of EOS) was "stepping down for health reasons". That's the Japanese way of announcing he was being replaced. And why not for the poor job he has done at the imaging division ? Substandard sensors, losing the video race, losing the mirrorless race, losing large clients like AP, losing one time enthusiasts like myself, alienating customers with misleading specs, launching faulty products like what we are seeing now.. Canon is badly in need of fresh minds.
Actually what happened is Masaya Maeda performed seppuku because of all Canon recent failures. Now he has mild health issues.
His act was actually triggered by the imminent announcement of the Sony A7s III, a camera that exceeded all expectations;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
...... imminent announcement of the Sony A7s III, a camera that exceeded all expectations.

Hmm, what were they after a five year development cycle? It seems to me, and I am no headline hussy, that there is no groundbreaking stuff in there to see, maybe the actual output? Why should we wait for that when nobody did before they spit roasted the R5....

Upvote 0

Nelu

CR Pro
Hmm, what were they after a five year development cycle? It seems to me, and I am no headline hussy, that there is no groundbreaking stuff in there to see, maybe the actual output? Why should we wait for that when nobody did before they spit roasted the R5....
OK, I added a wink. Is it better now?

Upvote 0
Really not trying to hype anything but I am getting worried about the R6. I wasn’t bothered about it overheating after 20 to 30min as I mostly shoot stills and within the video work I do I never shoot longer than 2-3min per take but the newest Northrup video got me nervous and really questioning this camera. They claim it has an amazing auto focus, he says he is a big fan of it but after shooting STILLS for 1h (bird photography) in the sun, they switched over to take a video of the birds and the camera showed the overheating symbol straight away limiting the video to 2min! This is after shooting stills...I think there is a real issue here and yes I know its Tony Northrup etc. but still.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
so all this talk about superior RF glass goes out the window cause we cant use it now
There is no RF cine glass :), but there is a lot of EF cine glass and this adapter would mostly be interesting to someone with a full cine rig. Canon does communicate with expert users before they make product decisions.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Really not trying to hype anything but I am getting worried about the R6. I wasn’t bothered about it overheating after 20 to 30min as I mostly shoot stills and within the video work I do I never shoot longer than 2-3min per take but the newest Northrup video got me nervous and really questioning this camera. They claim it has an amazing auto focus, he says he is a big fan of it but after shooting STILLS for 1h (bird photography) in the sun, they switched over to take a video of the birds and the camera showed the overheating symbol straight away limiting the video to 2min! This is after shooting stills...I think there is a real issue here and yes I know its Tony Northrup etc. but still.
Breath....and out.....

Alternatively.

Upvote 0