Patent: Active cooling adapter for the RF mount

Jan 29, 2011
did these experts tell them the R5 is a dumpster fire (literally?)
Did you find a single reliable source of measurable and repeatable data for that opinion yet or are you just jumping own the hyperbole bandwagon? Indeed did you find any actual data, temps, times, etc or are you still just going on the Instagram messages of somebody you like?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
Did you find a single reliable source of measurable and repeatable data for that opinion yet or are you just jumping own the hyperbole bandwagon? Indeed did you find any actual data, temps, times, etc or are you still just going on the Instagram messages of somebody you like?

Gerald Undone.

He took 30 photos which completely disabled the video (hq)

I don't need to hear more

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Gerald Undone.

Yes you keep saying you like him. I haven't seen his actual full use laid out have you? How long did he have the camera on before that? Did he have the screen on? Did he have it on full brightness? Was it closed or open? We don't even know what the ambient temperature was or if it was in direct sun or shade, we don't know how he had been using the camera previously, etc etc etc.

This isn't data, it is opinion formed from stupidity feeding of ridiculousness...

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
Gerald Undone.

I did read Gerald's experience and it wasn't good. There are some canon users who will love this thing no matter what it's faults are, especially if they only want it for photography. For me this tool seems like it will present more challenges that it is worth.

I was hoping to get an R6 as well, but after seeing cinema5d experience on the R6, it's a nope... How you going to release a camera in 2020 at a premium to it competition, that can't even shoot 4k30p without overheating.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
Yes you keep saying you like him. I haven't seen his actual full use laid out have you? How long did he have the camera on before that? Did he have the screen on? Did he have it on full brightness? Was it closed or open? We don't even know what the ambient temperature was or if it was in direct sun or shade, we don't know how he had been using the camera previously, etc etc etc.

This isn't data, it is opinion formed from stupidity feeding of ridiculousness...

Non of these things matter to me.

As far I see it canon made two critical errors with this camera.

1. Not putting in a proper heat sink / fan

2. Not using a proper codec. I tried editing some of the 4k hq and 4k 120fps footage that's out there and my 10k PC setup -with 32gb of video ram- couldn't handle them (in premiere or resolve.). I suspect the h265 is the culprit. Why wouldn't canon use braw or prores?

Pretty disappointing, I wanted to love this camera and actually pre ordered it.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Non of these things matter to me.

As far I see it canon made two critical errors with this camera.

1. Not putting in a proper heat sink / fan

2. Not using a proper codec. I tried editing some of the 4k hq and 4k 120fps footage that's out there and my 10k PC setup -with 32gb of video ram- couldn't handle them (in premiere or resolve.). I suspect the h265 is the culprit. Why wouldn't canon use braw or prores?

Pretty disappointing, I wanted to love this camera and actually pre ordered it.
At least you admit facts and information don't matter to you....

If you want/need heat sink and/or a fan buy an XC15 or a C line model better suited to your needs/shooting style, that is why we have choices.

Who cares what the out of camera CODEC is? That is what proxies are for, or get a Mac...

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
Go
At least you admit facts and information don't matter to you....

If you want/need heat sink and/or a fan buy an XC15 or a C line model better suited to your needs/shooting style, that is why we have choices.

Who cares what the out of camera CODEC is? That is what proxies are for, or get a Mac...

Good luck with your hot plate.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
R5/R6: It's like having a Lambo that can only drive for 10miles and needing a tow truck to get you the rest of the way.

According to youtube reviewers and emotional opinions with too little fact. SNORE. It almost feels like there is a paid army of perpetually offended agenda driven Canon bashers around. If you don't like it don't buy it, but most of us will reserve judgement until regular customers get the cameras in hand.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Good luck with your hot plate.

You misunderstand my comments. I am not saying the new cameras don't have issues that will impact some real user case uses so as to render the cameras not viable alternatives, what I am saying is the people who have used them and pushed the overheating so far have not given us the full background of their use to help us in anyway determine if they are the right choice for us as individuals or not.

If you turn it on first thing take 30 photos and can't use video at all then I'd agree it is a bust, but other users are not reporting case use anything approaching that, my natural response is 'why not?', what are the specifics of the overheating, nobody who is pushing the overheating is giving any reliable timing or temperature data, why not?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
R5/R6: It's like having a Lambo that can only drive for 10miles and needing a tow truck to get you the rest of the way.
No, it's like having a Lambo/Bugatti/Ferrari/Koenigsegg that after driving at top speed for 1/4 an hour you have to stop and refuel. A Veyron Sport will empty it's 27 gallon tank in 12 minutes at top speed.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Another example of sarchasm (though in this case I agree the wink is needed). Sarchasm: the gulf between the person being sarcastic and the person who fails to realize he's being sarcastic.

Some people (myself included) have a difficult time detecting sarcasm, even when we are speaking with someone face to face. It's much harder when reading online posts.

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
According to youtube reviewers and emotional opinions with too little fact. SNORE. It almost feels like there is a paid army of perpetually offended agenda driven Canon bashers around. If you don't like it don't buy it, but most of us will reserve judgement until regular customers get the cameras in hand.
If you look at my comment history regarding R5 and R6, you will see this is not the case. This was a huge disappointment for me! I've been saving since Oct 2019 to completely overhaul my gear, which is currently APS-C camera and lenses. I have $5700 thus far put aside for what was to be an R6 and an RP, with some lenses. But the R6 overheating issue is a no go for me. I shoot multiple types of scenarios, weddings, interviews, product shots and YouTuber content. One of them being makeup artist who do tutorials, they can't pause while they are working on a face because a camera is overheating.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If you look at my comment history regarding R5 and R6, you will see this is not the case. This was a huge disappointment for me! I've been saving since Oct 2019 to completely overhaul my gear, which is currently APS-C camera and lenses. I have $5700 thus far put aside for what was to be an R6 and an RP, with some lenses. But the R6 overheating issue is a no go for me. I shoot multiple types of scenarios, weddings, interviews, product shots and YouTuber content. One of them being makeup artist who do tutorials, they can't pause while they are working on a face because a camera is overheating.
Do you have any actual reliable data for R6 overheating? Something like temp, time on, settings used for time on, video time available at these temps? etc etc. I haven't seen a single scrap of data, repeatable or not, outlining actual camera limitations, nothing, nada, not a single fact...

if you want to get your hopes up, then down, or base purchasing decisions one way or the other on the information we have so far you are crazy. Relax, wait for reliable people to come out with facts, then decide.

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
Do you have any actual reliable data for R6 overheating? Something like temp, time on, settings used for time on, video time available at these temps? etc etc. I haven't seen a single scrap of data, repeatable or not, outlining actual camera limitations, nothing, nada, not a single fact...

if you want to get your hopes up, then down, or base purchasing decisions one way or the other on the information we have so far you are crazy. Relax, wait for reliable people to come out with facts, then decide.
Dude Canon addressed this, there is a chart for both the R5 and R6. To go along with all the first hand reviews.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Dude Canon addressed this, there is a chart for both the R5 and R6. To go along with all the first hand reviews.
Yes and if you are basing your decision on Canon data then good for you, nobody else is. If that data suggests the camera is not the camera for you then your decision is made, move on to the next thing, leave the Chicken Little dramatists to their vapors and meltdowns, nothing else to see here...

Upvote 0