Patent: Active cooling adapter for the RF mount

2. Not using a proper codec. I tried editing some of the 4k hq and 4k 120fps footage that's out there and my 10k PC setup -with 32gb of video ram- couldn't handle them (in premiere or resolve.). I suspect the h265 is the culprit. Why wouldn't canon use braw or prores?

I'd hate to think how big the filesizes would be if they used prores instead of the very efficient h265. You'd get a few seconds of 8K on a card instead of minutes.

You probably just need a video card with hardware h265 decoding.

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
Yes and if you are basing your decision on Canon data then good for you, nobody else is. If that data suggests the camera is not the camera for you then your decision is made, move on to the next thing, leave the Chicken Little dramatists to their vapors and meltdowns, nothing else to see here...
I dont think downing peoples disappointment is the way to go either.

Publicity is a two way street. When a company delivers a product they are open to people's reception both good and bad.

With that said I am now looking at the Nikon Z6 with Atomos + 1TB SSD which funny enough is about the same price of an R6 body only. With that I get 1TB of storage and various unique features of the atomos.

The only thing that could possibly swing me to the R6 is if it goes down to $2000-2100 range and test show that it doesn't overheat with an external atomos recorder.

So $2000 for R6 + cost of atomos to avoid overheating. I am waiting for someone to do this test. But to pay $2500 and then have to buy an atomos just to get what I need from the R6 seems like too much of a premium when taking into account what the competition has to offer.

Everything is relative, I am not a Canon guy or Sony guy or Nikon guy, I simply a guy looking for the tools do my job.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
I'd hate to think how big the filesizes would be if they used prores instead of the very efficient h265. You'd get a few seconds of 8K on a card instead of minutes.

Simply not true look how well the Blackmagic cameras handle 10bit prores files, they are very manageable.

I have 4k in video cards in my computer that can't play this back.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
If you look at my comment history regarding R5 and R6, you will see this is not the case. This was a huge disappointment for me! I've been saving since Oct 2019 to completely overhaul my gear, which is currently APS-C camera and lenses. I have $5700 thus far put aside for what was to be an R6 and an RP, with some lenses. But the R6 overheating issue is a no go for me. I shoot multiple types of scenarios, weddings, interviews, product shots and YouTuber content. One of them being makeup artist who do tutorials, they can't pause while they are working on a face because a camera is overheating.

Fair enough, my apologies then, I interpret a lot of these comments as just bashing away at the new offerings but it is clear you are disappointed in what you wanted the product to be just as I am excited in what it seems to be. A lot of the criticism and noise surrounding these releases seems to be that people think the R5 and R6 are video work horses. Maybe this is exactly why Canon allegedly held back features before- because people are not prepared to be told a product has usage limitations.

Your use cases are clear cases of needing longer filming time, but do you really need the high frame rates or HQ modes or are they nice to have only? What resolution and frame rate do you have now? Even if you do need high frame rate 4K with unlimited times, it is going to use a lot of expensive memory and computer power, and a video camera designed for that specific application is going to suit you better, I should think.

There is a reason that competitors are charging 4 thousand dollars for lower resolution bodies that are not as weather sealed and are designed for video with stills more as an afterthought. Good IBIS, large MP sensors and high bit rates, weather sealing, etc. will all be detrimental to heat generation while lower MP sensors can be read out faster and with less heat and rolling shutter and so lend themselves to extended video work. It just seems like people wanted unrealistic performance out of the new Canon bodies for a very low price, or are wanting the wrong tools for the job. To me it seems obvious these Canon bodies are intended to be the mirrorless follow up to the 6D2 and 5D4 photography cameras that had some video capability- same prices and general features as before too. They were designed for shorter video work at the higher data rates and the designers placed emphasis on being stills biased hybrid cameras, not video cameras.

In the end, why be frustrated about a thing you haven't even bought, hasn't even made it to regular customers yet, etc; specially if you are not already into a lot of expensive EF glass you plan to keep? You could pick any product on the market, and there are many. All of these brands offer amazing tools at multiple price points and one is sure to match your needs. I just don't see getting upset beyond picking the best thing available that suits your usage needs and that you can afford and then doing your best with it.

For what it is worth, people said the 5D4 was a flop for video and yet I've shot some very nice lens stabilized 4K on mine with the massive crop factor and large codec not causing too many problems. I've shot some gorgeous 4K on my Sony NXCAM too. Each is better at some things and worse at some. Same with GoPros and drones. Every piece of gear has an intended use, makes some compromises while excelling in key areas. All just tools with capabilities and an application.

Upvote 0

Colorado

Canon R5
Dec 16, 2013
No, it's like having a Lambo/Bugatti/Ferrari/Koenigsegg that after driving at top speed for 1/4 an hour you have to stop and refuel. A Veyron Sport will empty it's 27 gallon tank in 12 minutes at top speed.
If we are going with (poor) camera-to-car analogies it is a Lambo that sets track records for lap times, 0-60 times, and quarter mile times. It can also off-road the Moab trail but not as well as a dedicated Jeep Wrangler.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If we are going with (poor) camera-to-car analogies it is a Lambo that sets track records for lap times, 0-60 times, and quarter mile times. It can also off-road the Moab trail but not as well as a dedicated Jeep Wrangler.
The R5 can do 8k, 20fps stills, eye track to a stunning degree, etc etc. but it doesn't compete with a dedicated video camera that cost minimum twice the money.

So yes, all these tools have their jobs, people that want a hammer to screw nails are dumb asses...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018

Video cards usually only do 10bit 420 and 444
You'd be likely better off with a 16-32core processor with lots of ram.

@TomR - if you spend 10k ok a PC and it cannot do 4K h265, it is either old or you got a really bad deal - if you post the specs we can point you towards a solution..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
If you look at my comment history regarding R5 and R6, you will see this is not the case. This was a huge disappointment for me! I've been saving since Oct 2019 to completely overhaul my gear, which is currently APS-C camera and lenses. I have $5700 thus far put aside for what was to be an R6 and an RP, with some lenses. But the R6 overheating issue is a no go for me. I shoot multiple types of scenarios, weddings, interviews, product shots and YouTuber content. One of them being makeup artist who do tutorials, they can't pause while they are working on a face because a camera is overheating.
No camera will ever be everything you want it to be, and bodies get old very quickly. 99% of the cameras are good enough for 99% of the tasks.
For example: for the described use cases, 1080 is likely fine for the long shoots (especially interview); shoot native 4K for the "special shoots". 10bit 422 files will be -by far- better than anything APS-C can give you.
Z6 is fine too, so is A7iii, ... but neither are good video cameras!
If you need a great 4K+ video camera, there is apparently coming something from Canon, likely a C100 version but we are likely talking higher price points (as video usually is).
If you are just starting out: get lights/lenses - the body is the least important component.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
What a brilliant idea! To put a fan in front of the microphone! This tool has to be for photographers!
Yup. 34DB noise level reported. Twice as loud as whisper. However. think of sticking your face against an EVF while having a powerful cooling fan spinning some millimetres away from your nose. And while you are running and gunning.
And if you are a long hair type.... think of hairs stuck in their... spinning on.... ouchhh ! :)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
People here forget something: This adapter can not simply be build and used on the R5. It can ONLY work if the Mount on the R5 would be connected with a heatpipe to the sensor, which is likely not the case. Otherwise it would have close to no effect ;)
If it would work, I would be absolutely fine with this solution though :)
Build the adaptor from a nice heat conducting alloy. I.e. magnesium with fins to increase heat exchanger surface. Lens mount is bolted to magnesium alloy camera body. So is a good heat conductor. This is very easy to engineer. The question is: would Canon even bother at this stage? I recon they will offer a reduced bandwidth codecs that will also lower the write speed and heat emission level

Upvote 0
As a wedding videographer that exclusively shoots at noon in the Sahara and weddings on erupting volcanoes who's clients rightfully expect a single five hour take of their entire wedding and reception this camera is a joke and an insult by canon. How dare they have the audacity to release exactly what they said they would and not trivially replace cutting edge cinema cameras that cost $30,000 minimum and require a crew to run with a $4000 handheld mirrorless. This is a sign that Canon despises their customers and is on the verge of going out of business. Good Riddance!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
Video cards usually only do 10bit 420 and 444
You'd be likely better off with a 16-32core processor with lots of ram.

@TomR - if you spend 10k ok a PC and it cannot do 4K h265, it is either old or you got a really bad deal - if you post the specs we can point you towards a solution..

Yeah I'm not the only one who can't process this footage with a 10k+ setup

Upvote 0
Its an aweful pity they didnt put some kind of heatsink directly on the bottom of the camera so you could buy a version of the battery grip that would act as an expanded cooler for the camera. That way youd have the option of having the handy sized camera for most things and if you needed it for serious video work that required repeated takes and longer record times, you could slap on the "battery grip cooler" to keep it running nicely, or for a good spell longer at the least.

Also, while I agree that there are video cameras in their lineup for serious video work, I think the 5k barrier to entry for this camera was protection enough for their line of cine cameras that they didnt need to be specifically awkward about things for the R5/R6.

After all, if they can sell r5's more easily than c100's then I'd imagine that theyd be happy enough to keep that cash dollar coming

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Yeah I'm not the only one who can't process this footage with a 10k+ setup

He didn't take the time to show how long it would take to convert to ProRes(RAW) and then work with that. Though the R5 should really have something like that out the box or at least let you ship it back to Canon for a paid update. Though in a few years when this camera is mid cycle I expect you'll be able to edit this stuff even on a phone.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
He didn't take the time to show how long it would take to convert to ProRes(RAW) and then work with that. Though the R5 should really have something like that out the box or at least let you ship it back to Canon for a paid update. Though in a few years when this camera is mid cycle I expect you'll be able to edit this stuff even on a phone.

Yeah would have been nice to have prores or braw with this camera

Upvote 0
stupid solution:
looks like a patch job. if you know and accept there is heating issue... this is a good time to fix it. delay the release, fix the issue.
further more what do we do with RF lens. also, would you put an adaptor with vents in between lens and body... wouldn't dust gets circulated inside
... stupid.
Canon listen to spec sheet warriors and produced a camera for them i.e. good on papers. what about us, long term users.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0