Patent: Canon 100-400mm f/5.6-7.1

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
probably not. If they do, IMO it will be gimped and not have IBIS+IS, not because of crippling as I'm sure some will say just because of the communication differences between the EF and RF mounts.

I think I read on some site called canonnews about some patents to mitigate that :)

Upvote 0
I think I read on some site called canonnews about some patents to mitigate that :)
I only saw one patent that described a way to lessen the communication burden, but all the other patents described a really homogeneous solution that had everything talking to each other.

I'm just not sure how all the improvements and little things that Canon did for IBIS+IS in all the other patents would work with a slower protocol in practice.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
idk why not, there are glowing reports of nearly all Canon lenses performing as well if not better on the R. Things can only get better, right?
It depends what you mean by better. For static shots, I am sure the R5 will be excellent. But, for birds in flight, the only mirrorless up to DSLR standards is the Sony A9. I would love the R5 to be the next one. There are some very nice shots of flying birds from the R, but they are more difficult to get.

(ps slclick - I read CR in "Dark style" and your signature appears as black upon near black).

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
It depends what you mean by better. For static shots, I am sure the R5 will be excellent. But, for birds in flight, the only mirrorless up to DSLR standards is the Sony A9. I would love the R5 to be the next one. There are some very nice shots of flying birds from the R, but they are more difficult to get.

(ps slclick - I read CR in "Dark style" and your signature appears as black upon near black).

Very true. I will say the evidence is mounting that Canon mirrorless may be there or on the verge of there. For starters, I am starting to see reports of the 1DX III in liveview doing well and capturing good images of BIF. Then, I bought the M6 II to replace my M3. I recently tested it on some seagulls (I know....I know), but it actually did very well even with the EFM 55-200 lens.

Here's to hoping that we are on the verge.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013

Thanks but your response is more about the bodies than the glass isn't it? I was just stating a general view on adapting, regardless of shooting style or single shot vs servo.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Maybe we need to wait for the R1 body, which will surely market its lower and lower EFV latency with every revision, much like the old 1D body and its startup time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks but your response is more about the bodies than the glass isn't it? I was just stating a general view on adapting, regardless of shooting style or single shot vs servo.
Just taking a holistic approach. I am a very attached to the 100-400mm II, but maybe the combination of an RF 100-500mm L with an R body will respond better? Who of knows? I don't.

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
If you thought there could be something more brighter (f-stop) (because of the new and bigger mount!) tele-zoom lenses... we are getting now 7.1f and starting at 5.6f lenses....w t f!!!

I hoped about a 100-400 5.6f or a 200-500/600 5.6f!! not those crappy tele-zooms ....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If you thought there could be something more brighter (f-stop) (because of the new and bigger mount!) tele-zoom lenses... we are getting now 7.1f and starting at 5.6f lenses....w t f!!!

I hoped about a 100-400 5.6f or a 200-500/600 5.6f!! not those crappy tele-zooms ....
A new and bigger mount doesn't make for a brighter lens, it's the other end that determines brightness. In any case, the new mount isn't bigger, it's the same size as the old EF.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013

Unreleased items aren't crappy, they are non existent.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
Canon’s current emphasis on a batch of compact lenses is a direct consequence of consumer demand. Consumers have been clamoring for cheaper, smaller lenses and Canon is delivering. Just as they delivered fast, optically excellent lenses in the 85 f1.2 and the 28-70 f2. So one might be upset about the slow lenses but they are also listening to your prayers for faster lenses. They are ignoring you on your whining about price though.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Canon’s current emphasis on a batch of compact lenses is a direct consequence of consumer demand. Consumers have been clamoring for cheaper, smaller lenses and Canon is delivering. Just as they delivered fast, optically excellent lenses in the 85 f1.2 and the 28-70 f2. So one might be upset about the slow lenses but they are also listening to your prayers for faster lenses. They are ignoring you on your whining about price though.

Here's my take (for whatever it's worth)...Canon is giving consumers a choice with these 7.1 lenses that people are going ape-sh!! over. Unlike the forum-dwellers that look at mirrorless replacing DSLRs (and the sooner the better) Canon understands that DSLRs are still here and will be for a while (still over 50% sales in 2019). And it will take a few years to have an RF lens lineup that begins to cover the most popular choices. If someone wants a faster big zoom - well, they already have that choice with their EF offerings. These 7.1 lenses are not meant to be an RF replacement, but rather a choice for those wanting a smaller, lighter and cheaper alternative. Making the exact same big zoom in both EF and RF means that most consumers will choose only one - and those with the EF versions will probably just stick with those and use an adapter. But some of those folks that have the EF, might also buy the RF 7.1 version if it is significantly lighter. More choices, more sales.

Upvote 0