Patent: Canon appears to be continuing development of EF mount optical formulas

Mar 1, 2015
A Canon 20 f1.4 would obviously be a huge and expensive lens. I would prefer a cheaper,, and smaller 20 f2. But, likely not see either in EF mount. That would still be fast enough for astro photography especially since bumping up the ISO works very well on cameras these days. So why does Canon make these very fast and very good RF lenses which are very expensive. Do they make more money on them or is it simply for prestige or one-ups-manship? If I had no equipment, starting from scratch, I would go to Nikon mirrorless because of their 20 f1.8...which is neither compact or cheap. I am not a troll, pretty well satisfied with my current Canon equipment although no plan should my 6D need replacement.

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2016
I would immediately buy an EF 12-24 F4-5.6 if it were as sharp as their latest 16-35mm and had a front filter thread.

This is would be a dream for landscape and nature to be able to shoot at UWA with ND+CPOL filters screwed on.

Cherry on the cake, add IS too! Instant buy in these conditions.

The 11-24 F4 is a great lens but the lack of screw on filter at a reasonable size make it challenging for hiking/landscape.

Upvote 0
Maybe EF will stay alive because not everyone wants mirrorless cameras, I for one will stay with my 1 Series cameras.
Yes I'm pretty much in the same camp. I like a good optical viewfinder...and I have the option of live view already. The Canon Mirrorless AF system doesn't feel or operate the same way as the DSLR system that I'm very acquainted too. I've already got a lot of top tier EF lenses and they are giving me the results that I enjoy. In my professional capacity, I look upon cameras and lenses as tools to get a job done....each item has it's "reason for being" in my gear list or camera bag. I can't see any specific function that an Eos R could offer me over my current gear. If I compare a 5D mkIII or 5D mk4 to the Eos R....I'm not seeing anything of real world photographic value.

This new 12-24mm lens looks interesting. I hope it's sharp, light and can take front thread filters. It could be a landscapers "defacto go to" lens. It would be awesome if this lens was as corrected as the ef 14L or Sigma 12-24 (mkI). I would consider selling my TS-e 17L for such a lens.

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2016
The filter adapter for the EOS R is one reason I bought that camera. I have both the 11-24 and the TS-E 17.
I like the idea of the filter adapter but it only allows the use of a single filter. With my waterfall shots I frequently use both CPL and ND filters. So I am holding out for a higher resolution R body. In the meantime I finally broke down and got the NiSi filter system. Good quality but still looking for a good way to pack the filters for hikes.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I like the idea of the filter adapter but it only allows the use of a single filter. With my waterfall shots I frequently use both CPL and ND filters. So I am holding out for a higher resolution R body. In the meantime I finally broke down and got the NiSi filter system. Good quality but still looking for a good way to pack the filters for hikes.
Agreed, and that’s also why kept the WonderPana 145mm for the TS-E 17. For the 11-24, I could put a gelatin filter in the holder and use the CPL in the adapter, haven’t tried that.

I’d like it if Canon made a screw-in holder for the R adapter (there’s a 52mm holder for the supertele drop-in), so I can use fixed NDs rather than the VND.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Do you think there will be a 5Dmk5 or 5DSR mk II ?
Because I would be happy to have new EF lenses but if their is no new DSLR coming, why would they produce new lenses ?

I know we are a lot with EF lenses and a lot of us will not switch to Mirrorless soon. But will Canon listen to us ?
New DSLR's will come, but sales of enthusiast models is dropping. This is sending a message to both Canon and Nikon that buyers are holding off to see what a enthusiast model of a mirrorless will be like. Pressure is on Canon to get those models out, they need the sales.

Canon has virtually all of their lens design teams working on lenses for mirrorless. The patents we see are the result of work being done 3 years ago and submitted for a patent 18 months ago. They are basically a snapshot of the past and not today's thinking.

However, new EF lenses will be produced. There are a huge number of EF bodies in use and many will want new lenses for them. The problem right now for Canon is to get as many RF lenses as possible to the market. They sell for higher prices and there is strong demand.

Upvote 0