Patent: Canon EF 24-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
I really liked the idea of a new 24-85. But it will depend on the price, IQ and the size/weight.

The 24-105L is too big and heavy in my eyes and the 28-135 is not wide enough (and big, too). My old 24-85 is a nice small and capable lense and a *real* alltime-workhorse. Of course it's not fast or even weathersealed, but it's sharp from f5.6 on to at least f11 and the USM is fast and nearly silent. I shortly thought of replacing it with the 24-70L4, but the L was too big anyway.

It's one of the few lenses I would never get rid of. I just wonder why the new one will be 3.5-5.6 as the old one is 3.5-4.5. But that's most likely because of the longer IS-calculation.

Example: [email protected] (straight out of a 5D) http://tf.weimarnetz.de/downloads/24_85.jpg

Upvote 0

TrabimanUK

In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
Sep 19, 2013
Bristol, England
dufflover said:
They need some sort of cheap FF kit lens. They just need to remember to make it cheap.
You fixed/variable aperture snobs can go on whinging though; this never is/was about saying it's a "good" lens though good to see Canon's recent releases even down the consumer end (like the EF-S STMs) have great IQ.

This is purely for the people who are convinced to buy one because it comes with a lens that doesn't add a bucketload of cost. Better getting them a body with future possibilities of sales than not getting the body sale at all because the price shot up too much with the L-zoom.

I agree. I would add that being the 5Dc is a nice cheap entry level FF body for those wanting to dip their toe in the FF water, they then get hit with a lot of L-series expensive glass (even second hand lenses). Having a cheap FF zoom alternative to learn about FF would be realy useful and allow people to aspire to the world of L-series.

I doubt this lens would be for the hardened user who already has a supply of L-series, but would be a good introduction or "even walk around and not get robbed" lens.

Upvote 0
dufflover said:
They need some sort of cheap FF kit lens. They just need to remember to make it cheap.
You fixed/variable aperture snobs can go on whinging though; this never is/was about saying it's a "good" lens though good to see Canon's recent releases even down the consumer end (like the EF-S STMs) have great IQ.
This is purely for the people who are convinced to buy one because it comes with a lens that doesn't add a bucketload of cost. Better getting them a body with future possibilities of sales than not getting the body sale at all because the price shot up too much with the L-zoom.
It is time to replace the mediocre 28-135mm. It makes no sense to buy 6D to use zoom low quality. Being this 24-85mm only F5.6 at tele side, needs to be lightweight and cost less than $ 500 in kit with 6D. There is also a gap to be filled with a lens 28-200mm IS.

Upvote 0

WoodyWindy

On the road again!
Jul 20, 2010
vscd said:
I really liked the idea of a new 24-85. But it will depend on the price, IQ and the size/weight.

The 24-105L is too big and heavy in my eyes and the 28-135 is not wide enough (and big, too). My old 24-85 is a nice small and capable lense and a *real* alltime-workhorse. Of course it's not fast or even weathersealed, but it's sharp from f5.6 on to at least f11 and the USM is fast and nearly silent. I shortly thought of replacing it with the 24-70L4, but the L was too big anyway.

It's one of the few lenses I would never get rid of. I just wonder why the new one will be 3.5-5.6 as the old one is 3.5-4.5. But that's most likely because of the longer IS-calculation.

Example: [email protected] (straight out of a 5D) http://tf.weimarnetz.de/downloads/24_85.jpg

I still have my old 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 as well. I don't use it since I got my 15-85, but I would love to see a resurrection with modern optical quality and IS in the case I were to move to full frame.

Upvote 0
WoodyWindy said:
vscd said:

I still have my old 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 as well. I don't use it since I got my 15-85, but I would love to see a resurrection with modern optical quality and IS in the case I were to move to full frame.

Yes that would be good; the 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 is a deliciously compact lens, but the image quality is sadly lacking.

Upvote 0

Mitch.Conner

It was all a lie.
Nov 7, 2013
Was there a previous patent published for the 24-70L f/4 IS?

The filing date of this was not long before the announcement and release of that lens. Is the embodiment described (number 3) that of the current 24-70L f/4 IS, or is there a difference?

Also, does anybody know if Japenese patent law has a provision similar to our 102(g) rule?

Upvote 0
Canon had a 24-85 kit lens that it sold with the ill fated IX-APS series. It was a good - or a terrible - lens depending upon which physical lens you got and the variety was an insult to quality control techniques.
Then came the 28-105 with the A2/A2E series and later the 28-135IS. Ignoring the "L" lenses, Canon has
tried this range again and again (don't forget the terrible 28-90 throw-aways that came with film Rebels).
Maybe this time they'll get the lens right - but I'll bet the price will be wrong.

Upvote 0
dickgrafixstop said:
Maybe this time they'll get the lens right - but I'll bet the price will be wrong.

Good iq and good price at least for some time after the lens' release are mutually exclusive - it's a market system after all. If you want a good price you have to look with a product that has some flaws that you can live with but others cannot - like the 6d af system or the 17-40L's (corner) sharpness wide open.

Upvote 0