Patent: Canon presents some interesting fast zoom lens optical formulas

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Early rumours are most likely just wish-lists toned down a little in line with logical expectations.

But when gear is "in the wild" being tested, the "substantially correct rumours" are more likely IMO to be intentional leaks, with the purpose of arousing interest and pre-orders for an about-to-be-released model. So Canon not only already know about them, they probably created them.
Would not be surprised if the marketing departments intentionally leak out rumour info, it would just help build the marketing hype to drive hapless consumers into gear-lust frenzy, much like their drip-feed pre-release product updates, and pre-release product reviews. They drag it out, it gets the speculation buzzing on the forums (which is all free product promotion) which drives up (or artificially creates) demand (sometimes where there is none), and the pre-orders come flooding in. In what can be described as an act of company loyalty and brand faith. people gladly hand over their money for products they've never seen before, that have never been tested by an independent reviewer. I suppose people in the US have the luxury of going on a spending and unboxing orgy, experiencing buyer's remorse, then sending it all back. Can't do that in too many countries. Got to love the allure of effective marketing, it's the type of emotional manipulation that politicians dream of being able to do lol! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
I'm sure they have reports back from forums. For example, they will read that we would love to have variable fps for the electronic shutter for the R5. So, they won't implement it with a firmware update and will have it as a feature of the R5 II that we we will have to pay for. Similarly, they won't remove its unnecessary 30 minute limit. Now you might think I am jesting, but many a true word in jest.
I can see that happening, strategic market segmentation, you want it, you pay for it in the 'new and improved' model lol! :(

I'm sure the R5 overheating saga that saturated the forums, YouTube reviews and blogs must have reached Canon via these means. I can't imagine it would have been solely from tech support calls, as it would be so easy for Canon tech support to cite some official company line with disclaimer and just brush it off. Guessing they get their negative feedback online somewhere!! Perhaps people need to complain more online??? :unsure:

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I am not sure that I agree with that.
Once a product is in the wild leaks are pretty much inevitable.
I would have thought that the pros testing pre-production gear in the wild, would have to sign NDAs in order to get access to the gear. It would be very foolish for them to leak info if that is the case. An onlooker might recognise something as being a new model, but would find it pretty hard to work out the specifications. "Leaks" about specification, once gear is in the wild, IMO originate from the manufacturers, and are part of the strategy to drive up demand. It stimulates pre-orders, and helps manufacturers gauge demand and set production targets.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The whole rest of the world that they are testing in is filled with people who have not signed NDAs.
True, but I haven't seen sensor types, MP counts, frame rates, or any other such specifications printed on cameras. And such cameras would not have a badge or more likely have the badge of an existing camera with a similar appearance (e.g. slap the R3 batch on an R1 being field tested).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The whole rest of the world that they are testing in is filled with people who have not signed NDAs.
Of course not, but the rest of the world don't have the cameras in their hands, and can't know the specifications. The only people with that knowledge are the pros doing the testing, and the people in and outside of Canon who are involved in preparing marketing material. And all of them will have signed NDAs. Think of it like this - once the cameras are in pre-production and being tested, why *wouldn't* Canon be happy to "leak" information and drive up pre-orders?

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
If you recall the mystery about how many MP the R5 was, pro photogs were spotted using it out in the field but they wouldn't say how many MP it was.
I get what you're saying, at some of the expos they had new cameras in glass cabinets (look but don't touch), but they allowed participants to take photos, so people got an idea of the controls and layout, but no technical specs. I would assume they're not fussed about that part getting out.

Upvote 0