Patent: Canon RF 135mm f/1.4L DS USM optical formula

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Let's storm the Tokyo HQ, I'll wear the mankini with bison horns.
I can't decide if I really want to see that or if I really, really, really DON'T want to see that. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Maybe Canon has decided the old 35 is not the new 35. We do cling to older ideas and formulas much more than other crafts.(Sunny 16 much?)
I personally am more comfortable at 40mm.

Where's my freaking RF pancake Canon?
The International Haus of Photographers is lobbying against it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
But..but....but...do you mean they don't actually read our comments back at Canon? Because there's 3 or 4 people who want an RF7 or a non L 50.

Let's storm the Tokyo HQ, I'll wear the mankini with bison horns.
Don't forget to memorialize your shenanigans by taking lots of video and post to every social media site known to man. Also, don't worry about being tracked. Japan doesn't ping, triangulate, or store those locations. The geniuses in DC might get it right next time.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
I'll stick with my EF 135mm f/2.8 soft focus lens which cost me USD 240 (NZD 370) including shipping and sales tax on eBay.
It's super light and an amazing lens for the money (and the soft focus feature is fun to play with)
Enjoy! But soft focus is something very different than DS which cannot be replicated via software.

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
I would love a 135mm f/1.8 or f/2 for 1200-1500 $/€ but I´m afraid it will turn out to be a f/1.4 for 3500-4500 $/€ and therefore totally out of reach... and so big and heavy that I wouldn´t want it even if I could afford it.
This... completely!
I would repair my 135 2.0 again if needed... it’s awesome! Costs me only 700€ (Used)back in the days... today you can get it for 500€ (Used)

This is the wrong way for what I don’t like Canon currently... the missing of Great and not overpriced Updates...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
But..but....but...do you mean they don't actually read our comments back at Canon? Because there's 3 or 4 people who want an RF7 or a non L 50.

Let's storm the Tokyo HQ, I'll wear the mankini with bison horns.
Send us a picture, quick!
My wife would like to see you!
PS: bison horns can be dispensed with...:sneaky:
PS: should we wait for January 6th.?

Upvote 0
I have a feeling Canon will come out with a 135mm f1.4 to try and 1 up the 135mm f1.8 GM which is not only one of the sharpest lenses on any system but also has AF performance that makes it usable for sport and wildlife too. Be interesting to see what approach Canon takes.

As a side note many of us suspect Canon’s RF 35mm L prime will be an f1.2, if this happens I wonder what the price will be as Sigma have the 35mm f1.2 Art DG DN available for E and L mount which while is largely irrelevant to RF shooters but if its significantly more expensive I wonder how RF shooters would feel about that?

if Sigma were to offer its 35mm 1.2 (the lens I miss most) in RF, it would be an opportune niche in which to start. I have no doubt Canon's coming 35mm entrant will be fantastic, but the Sigma will almost certainly be a better value, if not better generally.

Sigma's recent new products have tended to be thinner aperture value lenses, which are less interesting to me, but are actually the missing RF pieces. They appear to be concentrating on lenses that match there little camera, which doesn’t seem all that clever in a chip-constrained production environment.

They should be doubling down on the bonkers-class wide aperture glass.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Still waiting for the RF 85mm f1.4L IS USM
Why? Size, weight and or cost, presumably. Else, the RF 85/1.2 on a body with IBIS (R3/R5//R6) is the way to go.

I have and like the EF 85/1.4L IS. If I start using it more than I do currently, I’ll replace it with the 85/1.2 with no qualms. Having said that, I think I’d prefer the 135/1.4, or possibly even an RF 135/2.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
A 135mm f/1.4 sounds delightful (DS or no DS), but that will be an expensive piece of glass. For reference compare an EF 200 f/2.8 with a 200 f/2 (think 10x the price). Definitely need a 135mm f/2 for the rest of us.
The Sigma EF f/1.8 is awesome. One of the best Sigma lenses. And at 82mm filter thread, a nice companion with the RF 15 - 35mm f/2.8.

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
if Sigma were to offer its 35mm 1.2 (the lens I miss most) in RF, it would be an opportune niche in which to start. I have no doubt Canon's coming 35mm entrant will be fantastic, but the Sigma will almost certainly be a better value, if not better generally.

Sigma's recent new products have tended to be thinner aperture value lenses, which are less interesting to me, but are actually the missing RF pieces. They appear to be concentrating on lenses that match there little camera, which doesn’t seem all that clever in a chip-constrained production environment.

They should be doubling down on the bonkers-class wide aperture glass.
Sigma have their Art series which is where their best efforts into IQ go.. Perfect examples of this are their
85mm f1.4 DG DN
105mm f2.8 Macro DG DN
In terms of doubling down they have both f1.2 and f1.4 35mm primes for mirrorless and I’m sure we’ll see more this year. Perhaps the 50mm f1.4 and 135mm f1.8 will get redesigns next.

Their I-series is for those who want smaller and lighter lenses but still very good IQ.

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
And since Sony is the principal shareholder they do indeed have to keep Sony happy.
Keeping Sony happy largely involves selling more lenses. Sony would more than welcome Tamron being able to sell RF mount lenses. Very recently Nikon came out with a 28-75mm f2.8 which is very strongly suspected to be a rebadged Tamron G1 that was released on emount. If that is true more revenue for both Tamron and Sony.

• Love
Upvote 0