Patent: Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L and other fast primes

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Northlight has uncovered a USPTO patent for various fast prime optical formulas, included in the patent is the design for an RF 135mm f/1.8L. A lens we definitely think will be released sometime in 2020.
Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L USM embodiment:

Focal length: 133.0mm
F number: 1.80
Half angle of view: 9.2°
Image height: 21.6mm
Overall length of lens: 150mm
Backfocus: 18mm

This patent also includes designs for an RF 85mm f/1.2L USM (which is already announced) along with an RF 100mm f/1.4 fast prime. We think the 135mm f/1.8 is more likely to come than a RF 100mm f/1.4.

Continue reading...

I'm hoping the price is reasonable on this one. Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I see little reason to buy into the R system if the vast majority of the RF lenses are going to be out of my price range.

I understand that you can use EF lenses quite well, but then you're not really getting the most out of the new RF mount.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'm hoping the price is reasonable on this one. Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I see little reason to buy into the R system if the vast majority of the RF lenses are going to be out of my price range. [..]

The Sony 135/1.8 is about €2000, the Sigma 135/1.8 is about €1400, the Canon 135/2.0 has swung between €1100 and €850 lately. With those numbers in mind, does the idea of 'reasonable' come close to being 'in your price range'?
Personally, I think a €2400 intro price, dropping down to €2100 after a few months and combined with one of the perpetual rebates thrown in would be both 'reasonable' and 'way out of my price range'.

I hope a Canon 135/1.8 will be cheaper than the Sony version, but I fear it won't be judging from the RF50 and RF85 prices.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm hoping the price is reasonable on this one. Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I see little reason to buy into the R system if the vast majority of the RF lenses are going to be out of my price range.

I understand that you can use EF lenses quite well, but then you're not really getting the most out of the new RF mount.

No guarantee of course, but it seems like canon is approaching things from the opposite side of the spectrum compared to Sony and Nikon. I believe (and they do confirm this in their interviews), that their reasoning is for those going budget (RP body and such) one can easily and cheaply adapt EF lenses. I currently have the 100 L macro and the 50 stm that I adapt to the R, and I obtained both of those for €400 (€80 for the stm). In fact a whole list of non-L lenses can be had cheap second hand. Basically any one on a budget can simply permanently leave the adapter on the RP and simply sport an all EF line up.

For people who need more, but not sports (landscape, Portait and studio work) you have the R and those premium RF lens. After this year I would expect that f4, and f1.8 will follow. I for one am patiently waiting for a RF 50 f1.8 or f1.4 (preferably high quality but less than 1k, due to my experience with the 55 sonar, but hope for others that an RF 50 stm equivalent also shows up). In fact I expert/hope that canon matches or presents better priced lenses which one considers normal in design (not the unique f2 zooms and f1.2 primes etc).

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..] After this year I would expect that f4, and f1.8 will follow. I for one am patiently waiting for a RF 50 f1.8 or f1.4 (preferably high quality but less than 1k, due to my experience with the 55 sonar, but hope for others that an RF 50 stm equivalent also shows up). In fact I expert/hope that canon matches or presents better priced lenses which one considers normal in design (not the unique f2 zooms and f1.2 primes etc).

I really, really, really hope for 50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.8 primes in or before 2020. I'm using the 85/1.8 on the RP a lot and while it's sharp the CA in some situations drives me nuts. I accept that reflective hairclips in sunlight are a worst case scenario, but a flat hand at the edge of DoF has a lot of CA on the edges of all the fingers.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I really, really, really hope for 50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.8 primes in or before 2020. I'm using the 85/1.8 on the RP a lot and while it's sharp the CA in some situations drives me nuts. I accept that reflective hairclips in sunlight are a worst case scenario, but a flat hand at the edge of DoF has a lot of CA on the edges of all the fingers.
If it’s an ‘affordable’ 50/1.4 or 85/1.8, don’t hold your breath on longitudinal CA. Granted that the aperture is f/1.2, but the RF 50/1.2 isn’t really all that ‘affordable’ and has ample LoCA as Bryan/TDP’s test jewelry shows.

Spherical-Aberration.jpg

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
I can be completely confident in saying: no.

Canon's goal for mirrorless full-frame is 'margin'.
Reasonable? Margin? I would hope Canon, and anyone in the world would have margin in mind at some point in their lives. That’s business.

Reasonable as compared to what? Sony & Nikon? Leica? Or just compared to your budget?

As far as I’ve seen, Canon’s lens pricing relative to the competition and factoring in quality and uniqueness is actually VERY reasonable. Browse through a BH catalog and compare list pricing and tell me Canon isn’t “reasonable”.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
As far as I’ve seen, Canon’s lens pricing relative to the competition and factoring in quality and uniqueness is actually VERY reasonable. Browse through a BH catalog and compare list pricing and tell me Canon isn’t “reasonable”.

I totally agree with you. Canon lenses are almost always cheaper than equivalent lenses from Nikon and Sony. It remains to be seen if that will remain the case with mirrorless lenses, but for now a lot of the lenses that people are complaining about the prices of don't HAVE any equivalent from other manufacturers.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I totally agree with you. Canon lenses are almost always cheaper than equivalent lenses from Nikon and Sony. It remains to be seen if that will remain the case with mirrorless lenses, but for now a lot of the lenses that people are complaining about the prices of don't HAVE any equivalent from other manufacturers.
Exactly. And if you are the sole supplier, it’s easier to charge as much as the market will bear and then some.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
Exactly. And if you are the sole supplier, it’s easier to charge as much as the market will bear and then some.
And let’s not forget the RF lenses have way more technology and engineering involved than Sony or Nikon. Programmable ring, multiple adapter options, better pin and communication options, better size, better optics, unmatachable apertures, etc. I would expect them to be more expensive than their EF counterparts as well. But so far, intro retail prices on RF haven’t really been inflated compared to EF, all things being equal. I would say they’re a better value when you put them head to head and consider inflation and age.

IMO Canons lens technology, choices, and quality far surpass Nikon & Sony but are consistently cheaper to their equivalents.

Upvote 0
If it’s an ‘affordable’ 50/1.4 or 85/1.8, don’t hold your breath on longitudinal CA. Granted that the aperture is f/1.2, but the RF 50/1.2 isn’t really all that ‘affordable’ and has ample LoCA as Bryan/TDP’s test jewelry shows.

Spherical-Aberration.jpg

Sorry for jewelry for LoCA is BS (no offense). One can see things like that with the naked eye since a gem acts itself like a lens (uncorrected). For a proper LoCA test one needs to not have additional “optical elements” in the frame.

Most accounts of the 50 f1.2 points to well controlled LoCA.

Anyway... the 55 sonar is a spectacular lens and came out at €1k and it showed some CA. I am sure that you can find examples of all lenses exhibiting LoCA with jewelry.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Reasonable price works both ways... consumer and manufacturer. ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0