Patent: Canon RF 50-80mm f/1.1, because crazy is good

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’ve been told that some “crazy” lenses were coming to the RF mount, and here’s a patent uncovered by Northlight that fits the bill.
Canon appears to be working on a fast portrait zoom for the RF mount, with the fastest of the bunch being an RF 50-80mm f/1.1. The number of lens elements in the lens design is remarkable.
Canon RF 50-80mm f/1.1:

Focal length: 51.50mm 64.17mm 82.52mm
F-number: 1.13 1.13 1.13
Half angle of view: 22.79° – 18.63° – 14.69°
Total lens length 220.20mm 225.05mm 224.20mm
BF 6.51mm 6.53mm 8.64mm

Also included in this patent are optical formulas for a RF 50-80mm f/1.2, RF 50-80mm f/1.4, RF 50-80mm f/1.6 and a RF 50-80mm f/1.8.
We expect some new lens designs to be announced in the first half of 2020. Keep in mind, just because there’s a patent, doesn’t mean we’ll actually see this as a product.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I’m not sure this one will ever see the light of day.
Depends on what camera it appears with - this looks so much like a 'because we can' product intended to plant a marketing foot in a particular area. I believe the term 'aspirational' is still beloved by some marketing types ;-)

What Canon does to try and occupy some of the 'high ground' in this rapidly changing market will be interesting to see over the next few years.

But hey, the 90D is on its way to keep some of the masses happy (as if)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
"Also included in this patent are optical formulas for a RF 50-80mm f/1.2, RF 50-80mm f/1.4, RF 50-80mm f/1.6 and a RF 50-80mm f/1.8."

I don't understand the idea of making similar lenses. Just make one 50-80mm f1.2. Marketing I guess...$$$
It's patent application - you show multiple examples demonstrating whatever is the novel feature(s) of the particular patent. Always bear this in mind when looking at any patent info here or elsewhere. It shows things the company is looking at, not a product roadmap.

Remember that a patent application does not equal a new product.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

6degrees

RF 85mm F1.2
Sep 6, 2018
A RF zoom covering 20mm (F1.4) makes more sense than this at this point, giving the fact RF 85mm F1.2 L is probably the best on the planet for medium telephoto lenses (portraits) and RF 35mm F1.2 L (street shooting) will be release soon.

Again, a EOS R pro body, better or equivalent to a7riv, should be the highest priority.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
"Also included in this patent are optical formulas for a RF 50-80mm f/1.2, RF 50-80mm f/1.4, RF 50-80mm f/1.6 and a RF 50-80mm f/1.8."

I don't understand the idea of making similar lenses. Just make one 50-80mm f1.2. Marketing I guess...$$$

Repeat after me:

Patent applications are about possible designs, not products

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Well, every lens has its market, but not every market is large enough to justify the manufacturing cost. Could be that Canon has some optical design ideas which they want to protect in the event that markets change, or manufacturing costs change so that they're positioned to create something that doesn't exist elsewhere.

I bet they work on all sorts of weird designs and end up patenting things which have elements which could eventually be of value. I'm actually curious about what ideas hit the cutting room floor.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Knowing Canon, we'll see no such thing as CRAZY design. Canon product line is boring, I mean: conservative. Never in 30 years of being a Canon shooter, I've seen a Canon product that was in any way radical or futuristic.
Is that so? besides those said earlier who else has
MP-E 65mm f2.8 Macro?
EF 8-15mm f4L Fisheye?
Speedlite 470EX-AI?
These don't count as innovative, radical or futuristic?

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
For all the times I've carped about the spectacular lenses coming out of Canon without correspondingly spectacular RF bodies, this one seems to fit the EOS R quite well. You don't need more than 3 fps in servo, nor more than 30 mp to exploit this sort of monster as a best-ever portrait lens. This is one that makes sense even in the absence of a new pro body.

Upvote 0
Is that so? besides those said earlier who else has
MP-E 65mm f2.8 Macro?
EF 8-15mm f4L Fisheye?
Speedlite 470EX-AI?
These don't count as innovative, radical or futuristic?
Indeed, my 'work' lenses include the TS-E17, MP-E65, ef8-15

This is why I have an answer when some people ask why I 'still' use Canon cameras ;-)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0