Patent: Canon RF 50-80mm f/1.1, because crazy is good

Jul 21, 2010
Never in 30 years of being a Canon shooter, I've seen a Canon product that was in any way radical or futuristic.
30 years and you haven’t seen any transformative products from Canon. I have to say, I personally find your achievement amazing. You’ve been taking photographs for 30 years, and all that time you’ve been doing so while being completely blind. Truly impressive!

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
"Also included in this patent are optical formulas for a RF 50-80mm f/1.2, RF 50-80mm f/1.4, RF 50-80mm f/1.6 and a RF 50-80mm f/1.8."

I don't understand the idea of making similar lenses. Just make one 50-80mm f1.2. Marketing I guess...$$$
Patents are different from making a device. They are for a design formula in the case of lenses, and usually can be applied to additional focal lengths and zoom ratios.

The claimed advantage of the formula in the patent is to be able to make smaller zoom lenses while having a large aperture.

The patent also is one of the first I've noticed with surface data for both sides of each lens element, that must imply some new robotic manufacturing equipment that can do very complex lens surfaces. Some of these designs have data for over 40 lens surfaces.

The design also specifies 8 different apertures from f1.8 to f1.13, so assumptions that it would be huge may not be correct.

Read thru the patent. Like Neuro, I doubt that we will ever see such a lens design.

lens patent.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
Sincerely, nope. The only thing close enough is the 28-70 F2 wich im thinking in purchase it for weddings, but is really heavy. and may be the 70mm can be a little short sometimes.
A decade ago, during the 5DII era, it's common for people to run-and-gun with the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, which weighs 3.0lbs and 7.8" long. The lens you're thinking about weighs the same but about 3" shorter, which effectively makes it weigh less (at the hand) than the 70-200 lens.

What is your definition of "heavy"?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
Sincerely, nope. The only thing close enough is the 28-70 F2 wich im thinking in purchase it for weddings, but is really heavy. and may be the 70mm can be a little short sometimes.

sounds like time to go work out for you! it really isn't that heavy. :LOL:

If canon ever does come out with a lens like this (that's a big fat if), then I'd imagine it will look like the sigma 200-500mm f2.8.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Phil

EOS R, RF24-105 f4, RF35 1.8, RF50 1.2, RF85 1.2
Oct 17, 2018
Knowing Canon, we'll see no such thing as CRAZY design. Canon product line is boring, I mean: conservative. Never in 30 years of being a Canon shooter, I've seen a Canon product that was in any way radical or futuristic.
Eye controlled auto focus and that was about 25 years ago.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
"Also included in this patent are optical formulas for a RF 50-80mm f/1.2, RF 50-80mm f/1.4, RF 50-80mm f/1.6 and a RF 50-80mm f/1.8."

I don't understand the idea of making similar lenses. Just make one 50-80mm f1.2. Marketing I guess...$$$

It is typical to patent similar ideas to prevent others from using it.

Upvote 0

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
A decade ago, during the 5DII era, it's common for people to run-and-gun with the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, which weighs 3.0lbs and 7.8" long. The lens you're thinking about weighs the same but about 3" shorter, which effectively makes it weigh less (at the hand) than the 70-200 lens.

What is your definition of "heavy"?
yeah, I know that 1 kg isnt "very" heavy. But when you work having two cameras always on with an strap during 12 hours in non stop (working on weddings), you look to wear as less as posible. Also I elevate the camera avobe my head in lots of moments to take elevate pictures (of couse, making use of the tiltflip screen. With a 35 1.4 art you can do that without problem. with big and heavy lenses (more than 1,2 kg, is different. At least in my opinion. And think, isnt just one time, is lots of times :)
Of course, this is only my point of view!

Upvote 0

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
sounds like time to go work out for you! it really isn't that heavy. :LOL:

If canon ever does come out with a lens like this (that's a big fat if), then I'd imagine it will look like the sigma 200-500mm f2.8.
Hahahaha theres no doubt about that i need it :LOL: But working 12 hours almost with non stop in weddings, you prefer to wear less weight as posible.Using two bodies and two lenses at the same time with straps, the weight goes up fast.

But as I say, thats onlu my opinion :p

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
Hahahaha theres no doubt about that i need it :LOL: But working 12 hours almost with non stop in weddings, you prefer to wear less weight as posible.Using two bodies and two lenses at the same time with straps, the weight goes up fast.

But as I say, thats onlu my opinion :p

If you shoot a lot with primes, like I tend to do, then a 28-70mm F2 is amazing - it can knock out at least two lenses if not three general primes. Even if it's heavy, you don't have to switch lenses. Obviously if you own the F2 standard zoom, you're asking for its performance - sharpness is unbelievable wide open. I think once the R body with IBIS comes out, the lenses w/o stabilization will shine even more.

Concerning straps, what kind do you use? I used to use black rapid but it's kind of annoying as it can swing around. Dual straps I've seen but I think they look cooler than they are practical. Bad for your shoulders and neck. You should look into the ones for the waist.

Upvote 0
Is that so? besides those said earlier who else has
MP-E 65mm f2.8 Macro?
EF 8-15mm f4L Fisheye?
Speedlite 470EX-AI?
These don't count as innovative, radical or futuristic?
First f/1.0 lens with autofocus. First with flourine and blue goo coatings
Nikon released the AF-S Fisheye NIKKOR 8-15mm f/3.5-4.5E ED in 2017... only 6 years after Canon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Repeat after me:

Patent applications are about possible designs, not products

Likewise, feel free to repeat after me:

Products began with patent applications

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I have a RF 28-70 f/2L on the way from lens rentals... because I am still three weeks away from purchase and just can't wait. If Canon would issue an RF 70-135mm f/2L... my life would be complete. I'd sell a kidney and left testicle for that one. Maybe $3,500 for a lens like that? (Well, still would want the 85mm f/1.2L) ;) Honestly, these will be my final purchases... until death do us part.

Upvote 0