Patent: Canon RF 50mm f/1.8

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The 50mm f/1.8 is a must lens for pretty much any manufacturer, and it’s safe to say that Canon will be bringing this affordable prime lens to their RF mount.
Canon News uncovered a patent showing multiple different designs for an RF 50mm f/1.8
Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 embodiements:

Focal length: 48.70mm
F-number: 1.85
field angle: 23.95
Image height: 21.64mm
total lens length: 58.55mm
BF: 20.15mm

Focal length: 48.70mm
half angle: (in degrees) 23.95
BF: 16.48mm

focal length: 48.70mm
half angle: (in degrees) 23.95
BF: 19.38mm

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 users
Mar 26, 2014
Just a hair smaller than the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS, it will be compact and reasonably priced, hopefully it will render nicely as well.

The RF 35mm f/1.8 IS has IS, while the RF 50mm f/1.8...

seem to be variations of the simple and venerable double Gauss design

without adding IS. This is not the 50mm lens I'm looking for.

Seems Canon is closing on the quaternity of zoom lenses I'd like in RF mount, though.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I wish they put IS on it for a reasonable price. Though I doubt it will have IS, and a reasonable price.

Now that the Eos Rp price is going down it would be interesting to see as part of a standard kit.

The RF 24-240 is looks huge when mounted on the Rp.

Love to see other options, like those pancake lenses on the RF road map. And maybe a 24-105 kit lens a bit smaller than the 24-105 f4 L.

Upvote 0
Pancake, I want a pancake lens hold the syzurp!

Pancake-ability depends more or less on the flange distance, a pan cake lens' focal length is in that region and easy if the flange distance is similar to the sensor diagonal. For EOS R the optimum focal length will be in the 20...24mm region but if you use some simple (=compact) lens design you will have a 4 or 5 stop drop vignetting at f/4. Maybe a 40mm tele construction (with negative element protruding into the sensors direction might make some flat lens (the lens' part outside the camera) but something like the EF 40 will never happen to the RF IMO - or it is of a similar size like the EF 40 with adapter and not exactly pancake. The EF was so simple because it has 40mm FL for a 40 mm flange distance and a 43 mm sensor diagonal.

Upvote 0
Pancake-ability depends more or less on the flange distance, a pan cake lens' focal length is in that region and easy if the flange distance is similar to the sensor diagonal. For EOS R the optimum focal length will be in the 20...24mm region but if you use some simple (=compact) lens design you will have a 4 or 5 stop drop vignetting at f/4. Maybe a 40mm tele construction (with negative element protruding into the sensors direction might make some flat lens (the lens' part outside the camera) but something like the EF 40 will never happen to the RF IMO - or it is of a similar size like the EF 40 with adapter and not exactly pancake. The EF was so simple because it has 40mm FL for a 40 mm flange distance and a 43 mm sensor diagonal.
I've suspected as much without a great understanding of fundamental optic design. It is one of those lenses that would be great to allow the full frame camera to come along for a day trip (5D + 40mm Pancake isnt even that combination). But, in even more layman's terms, the length lose from one (lens/body), gets added to the other [body/lens). But this is Canon with three great pancakes for the present EF,EF-S,M, and there has been rumors of RF pancakes, lets hope some of this sees the +light+ of day. ;) cheers

Upvote 0