Patent: Canon shows off a new approach to the modern shutter button

Interesting approach. If it actually has a button underneath the touch screen or works like a trackpad on an Apple Macbook I'd be intrigued, but only under one condition: It has to work with gloves on (don't care if the gloves are specially made...). So far, I haven't found any gloves that work properly and in a reliable way on touch screens, at least not on my R or my apple products. If anybody has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

Will it make to production on a DSLM or DSLR? No chance, Canon literally had a shit-storm coming their way for the Touch Bar button on the R. Looking at the RP, R5/ R6 they learned from this disaster. I'd only give a chance on a Powershot model or something similar.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
As long as it's also a button I don't mind. If it's just a touchpad, hell nah brah. I love big pressy buttons and chunky shutter sounds on a camera. If mirrorless cameras start going to silent global shutters and touchpads, I'll go back to a DSLR in a heartbeat.
Why not have both? I could see having a Canon 80 or 90D, or a 7D Mk II/1DX model and a R5/R6. What is intriguing to me is that many who've switched and are using their EF glass w/adapter on R bodies are experiencing better auto-focusing results (higher keeper rate).

This touch-pad/button approach I could see being quite interesting. I do think it would need to be a hybrid solution however. As many of us like that haptic feedback of actually pushing a button. I know I do.

Upvote 0
Why not have both? I could see having a Canon 80 or 90D, or a 7D Mk II/1DX model and a R5/R6. What is intriguing to me is that many who've switched and are using their EF glass w/adapter on R bodies are experiencing better auto-focusing results (higher keeper rate).

This touch-pad/button approach I could see being quite interesting. I do think it would need to be a hybrid solution however. As many of us like that haptic feedback of actually pushing a button. I know I do.

Yeah, the R6 is great. But that's because it feels very similar to a DSLR.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm thinking the focus point joystick on the 1DX MkIII makes sense here. That would be a game changer.
Here is the downside (from six months of using the 1Dx III), I have found the smart controller to be super sensitive. Even when set to its lowest sensitivity it is far too easy to move the focus points inadvertently. If a similar system were employed with the shutter button, I think a lot of photographers would find themselves burning through their cards every time their finger touched the pad, especially if there is no physical reaction to provide tactile feedback. On the other hand, this could prove to be a much-improved and cheaper way to weather seal a physical button.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I'm freaking out. I don't know what it is, but I hate it. Hahaha, jk, but I do enjoy pushing the button. Nothing makes me sadder than having touchscreen for my car's radio and climate control in lieu of the tactile joy of dials, buttons, etc. Anyway, I'm sure if it isn't cool, they won't pursue it.

Roads here are bumpy enough that I will, very often, hit the wrong button on a car stereo just because of the bumpiness acting on my outstretched arm. It's worse when it's a stereo packed with features (hence very very small buttons), covered with labels you cannot read from the driver's seat, and you have no idea how to fix what you just did to yourself. And it's much, much worse when it's a damn touchscreen with no tactile feedback; you're forced to pull your eyes off the road to work it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0