Patent: Canon shows off a new approach to the modern shutter button

Always Obsolete

What's VGA again?
CR Pro
Sep 15, 2020
Has the mechanical shutter button been a frequent repair problem for Canon?

Is the mechanical shutter button a difficult place to weather/dust proof?

I'm sure we will get some interesting brainstorming in this thread. Maybe the touch-sensitive shutter pad could involve many functions, freeing our thumbs to...

The camera in that patent looks an awful lot like a 40D, and IIRC, shared the same mechanical shutter part as the 20D.

I fondly remember having to replace the mechanical shutter part on my 20D when it developed an annoying sticky button problem...It wasn't that difficult, but annoying nonetheless.

I'm intrigued by this,

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I think the ideal option here would be a customizable button like the AF-on button on the back of the 1DX Mark III, but exactly where the shutter button is. That way you could move your index finger while half-pressing the shutter button to focus, and if you turned it off, the shutter button would perform exactly the same as any other camera. That's an ideal compromise between the two options, and I really don't think there's any reason why that couldn't be the case.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Interesting approach. If it actually has a button underneath the touch screen or works like a trackpad on an Apple Macbook I'd be intrigued, but only under one condition: It has to work with gloves on (don't care if the gloves are specially made...). So far, I haven't found any gloves that work properly and in a reliable way on touch screens, at least not on my R or my apple products. If anybody has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it.
[..]

I tried a pair of TNF Apex E-Tip gloves yesterday and they worked surprisingly well with my iPhone, R5 and M6II. The big downside: for my medium sized hands (size 9) the size 'XL' fingers were too narrow and started being actually painful after a few minutes. The size 'L' did fit my wife, and she's keeping that pair. I'm sending mine back and will continue the quest for gloves that work with phone and camera screens :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I tried a pair of TNF Apex E-Tip gloves yesterday and they worked surprisingly well with my iPhone, R5 and M6II. The big downside: for my medium sized hands (size 9) the size 'XL' fingers were too narrow and started being actually painful after a few minutes. The size 'L' did fit my wife, and she's keeping that pair. I'm sending mine back and will continue the quest for gloves that work with phone and camera screens :)

Thx for the tip, I ordered them right away :)
I've been looking for a while now and so far the best pair I found was a lucky shot two years ago. A coffee retailer who sells some non-food products in Germany had some on sale for less then 20 $, so I ordered them.They work but sometimes it's kind like "trial-and-error" kinda approach, so I'm looking for a replacement.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
But better AF and other features might help to capture something you could not before.
That's exactly what I'm saying. Better AF and other features will help, but you're still limited by your reaction time - and that's where a camera can step in to to make that decision for you. We're talking photography, not launching nuclear weapons, I think this is pretty safe :)

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
So funny, they illustrate this patent showing a DSLR and not a mirrorless camera.

The picture shows a 7D mark 3 body... I wonder if that means anything?

Nope, means nothing. Canon often use these generic camera diagrams for patents. Their patent department clip-art selection isn't very extensive.

Upvote 0
Wait a minute! The picture shows a dslr body of either a 5D type body or a 7D type. Canon doesn't make those any more. It's all mirrorless.
This is obviously an old idea that surfaced today.

no, they often use any old image to illustrate the concept because it's not part of the actual patent application.

the illustration of a DSLR or a mirrorless camera in this case is immaterial to the concept.

Upvote 0
As long as it's also a button I don't mind. If it's just a touchpad, hell nah brah. I love big pressy buttons and chunky shutter sounds on a camera. If mirrorless cameras start going to silent global shutters and touchpads, I'll go back to a DSLR in a heartbeat.
In the patent, it wasn't a button. it was a strain gauge used to act as the "shutter press".

As i wrote up, I didn't like the idea that much either. But the abilty to complete waterproof the shutter button and the idea of providing every single camera function under your index finger without moving off the shutter is really intriguing.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Could also have a built-in fingerprint reader.
God I hope not. My iPhone has never been able to read my fingerprint. With age my fingerprints have become pretty faint (maybe from years of being soaked in fixer?) The last thing I want is a camera that won't fire because it can't read my fingerprint.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I think in general that it's good that Canon experiments with new controls. What they've shown to me too is that whether they wind up being successful depends very much on very small refinements. The screen touch control for focus points on the M series was night-and-day better than the competition when the M5 came out, but it wasn't completely free of lag. Only with the R5 and R6 did I find it to be without lag, and I now prefer it to any other focus point selection mechanism. I very much appreciate the attempts to innovate with things like this. I can't think of an instance where they provided such an innovation and didn't allow people to turn it off if they didn't prefer it.

Upvote 0
In the patent, it wasn't a button. it was a strain gauge used to act as the "shutter press".

As i wrote up, I didn't like the idea that much either. But the abilty to complete waterproof the shutter button and the idea of providing every single camera function under your index finger without moving off the shutter is really intriguing.

Those are some nice benefits. Maybe they could add some kind of fake feedback when you press the shutter. I'd probably still sit that camera out though.

Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
God I hope not. My iPhone has never been able to read my fingerprint. With age my fingerprints have become pretty faint (maybe from years of being soaked in fixer?) The last thing I want is a camera that won't fire because it can't read my fingerprint.
Well, mine are still legible (and vanish only occasionally, after some masonry or carpentry). I just thought it would be a convenient (and not necessarily exclusive) way to sign your photos in the new brave digital world: Content Authenticity Initiative.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016

Well if there is no button, I am skeptical of this idea being very useful to me at least. The biggest fear is the camera will not fire at the right moment especially for me (for some reason I and touch pads/screens cannot get along well at all) and that is very critical when shooting wildlife. Also this will force to get a gloves that will work with touch pad and with the gloves the accuracy becomes a problem so navigating menu or moving AF points will be a challenge. Like so many patents this may not become a product or Canon could choose to try it on the successor of EOS R like they tried the touch bar.

Upvote 0
I'd be interested to know how you would initiate half-press/AF. Maybe it would have haptic feedback and pressure sensitivity like an iPhone home button.
One issue is camera vibration/movement when the current shutter button is pressed hence why manual remotes are used on tripods for longer exposures. It is possible that IBIS will counter the movement if haptic or deliberately added vibration is used to to provide feedback but removing the source is obviously best. An artificial sound/click could be suitable feedback rather than haptic etc.
In the current world of touchscreens/pads, it makes sense to investigate this option but the most resistant users will be at the higher end of the market. New M series bodies could be the best starting points for introduction and working out bugs but cost will be higher than the current button.
Lastly, would the touch pad be flat? Are there curved touch pads being used in other commercial devices?

Upvote 0