Patent: Full-Frame fixed lens camera

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HiLowsNote has uncovered an odd patent showing us a full-frame fixed lens camera lens optical formula. The lens design here is not impressive, as it’s quite slow at f/4.5-8.
While I have always wanted Canon to make a camera like the Leica Q or Sony RX1 series, I don’t think what we have here will ever become a consumer product.
It’ll be interesting to see if anything comes from this.

Canon Full-Frame Fixed Lens Camera Lens 15-45mm f/4.5-8

Zoom Ratio

Continue reading...

Jan 29, 2011
why it needs to be a fixed lens?
Market segmentation, it would be a beefed up P&S which have been decimated because of their small sensor size.

I’m with Craig on this, I always wanted a Canon RX1 as the high quality 35mm fixed lens suits my walk around style perfectly. But goodness the actual RX1 ergonomics put me off every time I pick one up!

I’m sure there is a small market for fixed lens >$2,000 P&S’s, I’m not sure that includes f4.5-8 lenses though so I’d see this much closer to the $1,000 price point.

Upvote 0
I think the reason to make such a "thing" for fixed lenses is maybe the group near the sensor which is very close to the sensor AND has to be moved for focusing.
At f/8 some 30 MPix seem reasonable in my thinking - maybe some EOS R sensor reusage project without OVF and lower number of controls (no touchbar :). First I thought the RP sensor would be good but I think a little bit more DR would fit an ultra wide which usually captures a lot between bright light sources and dark shadows.

Upvote 0
It is a bit strange to me that Canon did not announced anything this year and we are in March almost. Was like this before of this is just pandemic delays?
I think this is a big reason because they make lots of profit from selling large numbers of e.g. M50s or similar cameras during holiday seasons and holidays aren't close if schools are closed (at least here in Germany).

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
I wouldn't mind a digital version of the good old Olympus Stylus Epic -- fixed 28 f 2.8 lens. Fixed fl: no longer than 35, no slower than 2.8. Simple and affordable, too -- that was part of the charm of the Olympus!

(An Epic in good shape is worth more now than it was new... that kind of indicates there would be a market for such a cam.)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Absolutely with you on the desire for a Canon version of a Leica Q. I'd be all in on that for my walk around. Love my R5, but give me something with an f2 fixed focal length lens (28mm, please, not 35mm) and you've got me. Especially if they implement a leaf shutter a la X100. I had an X100F and it always had the 28mm-equiv converter on there. So give me full frame, Canon colours (I do like Fuji colours, but prefer Canon), and a solid lens, and I'm sold.

Upvote 0
That 15-45 on a FF-Sensor seems interresting. The f/4.5-8 can be compared to some P&S cameras on the market (if you account for crop factor). I imagine, Canon might put that 20MP Sensor of the R6 or the 45MP Sensor of the R5 behind that lens. That would be an interresting combination.
15mm beeing wide enough for these vloggers. But I am sure people will complain about that dark aperture...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I don't see a market for a P&S that doesn't have both wide and tele long enough to shoot portraits, say 24-70mm in FF terms, all the more so if its an expensive FF camera.

Why would security cameras have FF sensors, rather than m43? What's the usage scenario?

With today's sensors' high ISO performance, and shallow DoF not being a priority for UW, I can see Canon offering an RF 15-35mm f/2.8L and a 15-45mm f/4.5-8 side by side.

Upvote 0
I don't see a market for a P&S that doesn't have both wide and tele long enough to shoot portraits, say 24-70mm in FF terms, all the more so if its an expensive FF camera.

Why would security cameras have FF sensors, rather than m43? What's the usage scenario?

With today's sensors' high ISO performance, and shallow DoF not being a priority for UW, I can see Canon offering an RF 15-35mm f/2.8L and a 15-45mm f/4.5-8 side by side.
From what I know, security cameras have small sensors, not even m43. With the low resolution those operate (often 1080p or even 720p) they still have large pixels. The dark aperture on the other hand isn't a preoblem for security cameras, you often focus to some distance and you want the maximum DOF...

A 24-70 on a P&S camera would certainly be more useful. But even a 24-70 f/4 would be rather large and heavy on a P&S camera.

Patents are also here to avoid competitors to make similar things. It is a kind of defensive tool, not only a plan for a new product
You are right.
This might never even be a real product, just a patent so noone makes that product.

Upvote 0
From what I know, security cameras have small sensors, not even m43. With the low resolution those operate (often 1080p or even 720p) they still have large pixels. The dark aperture on the other hand isn't a preoblem for security cameras, you often focus to some distance and you want the maximum DOF...

A 24-70 on a P&S camera would certainly be more useful. But even a 24-70 f/4 would be rather large and heavy on a P&S camera.
The fact that security cams have traditionally had bad image quality does not mean it always has to be like that. I can imagine a demand for mor resolution and low light capability to enable for instance face recognition. Even in non-totalitarian countries.

Upvote 0