Patent: IBIS appears in a Canon DSLR for the first time

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A new Canon patent for in-body image stabilization has appeared, and it looks like it is being worked on for DSLRs as well. This is the first time we’ve seen evidence of IBIS appearing in a mirror slapper.
Northlight says this patent deals with compositional issues and vignetting that could arise when the sensor moves for stability.
Could we see this in an upcoming DSLR? I think that would be a good thing for the EOS lineup, perhaps we’ll see it in the upcoming EOS 90D or EOS-1D X Mark III.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
IBIS in a DSLR for the first time ever? First evidence of IBIS being used in a "mirror slapper"?

Not sure what you all been smokin', but my Pentax K20D from 2008 (a DSLR or "Mirror Slapper" as you'd call it) had In-Body Sensor based Image Stabilization. So did the K7 that followed and the K5, and the K3 and even the Full Frame K1 and K1mII and I'm sure there were countless other models before and in-between those. So far from the first ever, perhaps the first in a Canon model.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
IBIS in a DSLR for the first time ever? First evidence of IBIS being used in a "mirror slapper"?

Not sure what you all been smokin', but my Pentax K20D from 2008 (a DSLR or "Mirror Slapper" as you'd call it) had In-Body Sensor based Image Stabilization. So did the K7 that followed and the K5, and the K3 and even the Full Frame K1 and K1mII and I'm sure there were countless other models before and in-between those. So far from the first ever, perhaps the first in a Canon model.
My Sony A100 had IBIS as did the Minolta 5D and 7D before it. This was a Minolta development that Sony inherited.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I agree, it looks like an APS-C camera body but guys, there is no way Canon will introduce it in an cheap APS-C camera first. Yes, there are expensive APS-C options but according to this page the 7D series moved to mirrorless and the 90D, well, the 80D was popular camera among video guys, but no, I don't see it happen. Come on, we're talking Canon. They will give IBIS to the expensive DSLRs and expensive mirrorless cameras first to lure you into buying one of these. It's been the obvious Canon-move for years.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I agree, it looks like an APS-C camera body but guys, there is no way Canon will introduce it in an cheap APS-C camera first. Yes, there are expensive APS-C options but according to this page the 7D series moved to mirrorless and the 90D, well, the 80D was popular camera among video guys, but no, I don't see it happen. Come on, we're talking Canon. They will give IBIS to the expensive DSLRs and expensive mirrorless cameras first to lure you into buying one of these. It's been the obvious Canon-move for years.
So that's why the 70D was the first DSLR to have dual-pixel autofocus. They were trying to lure 1D and 5D buyers to the crazy-expensive 70D. Thanks for your great insight.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
I agree, it looks like an APS-C camera body but guys, there is no way Canon will introduce it in an cheap APS-C camera first.

Of course they will, that's how Canon matures technology before moving it into the 5D and 1D.

It'll go into the mid-tier first and if IBIS v1 is found to fail after 100,000 shots in a 90D then so what, it's only an xxD with a two-year warranty and most users never hit that threshold.

By IBIS v3 they'll be ready to integrate it into the R1 with a shutter-life of 500,000 shots.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Of course they will, that's how Canon matures technology before moving it into the 5D and 1D.

It'll go into the mid-tier first and if IBIS v1 is found to fail after 100,000 shots in a 90D then so what, it's only an xxD with a two-year warranty and most users never hit that threshold.

By IBIS v3 they'll be ready to integrate it into the R1 with a shutter-life of 500,000 shots.

What I'm curious about is which APS-C line they are going to put it in first. A DSLR like the illustration in the patent or in an M series?

Upvote 0