Patent: In Camera Focus Stacking and Image Stabilization

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Here’s an interesting patent from Canon uncovered by <a href="https://www.canonnews.com/canon-patent-application-on-focus-stacking-and-image-stabilization">Canon News</a>.</p>
<p>This application details in camera focus stacking and the effect of image stabilization during the multiple exposures required to do the stacking. The area of concern for R&D is how to deal with the possibility of the plane of focus shifting because of camera shake, and how to calculate the amount of shift during various degrees of camera shake.</p>
<p>In camera focus stacking could be a great feature for Canon shooters.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Mar 25, 2011
I like to hand hold close photos, this sounds useful. Focus stacking software can't adjust easily to camera movement, it can only deal with the images you capture. On a tripod, it's not a issue, but hand held, you may not have captured the intended series of shots with incremental distances because you moved the camera slightly between shots.

Even if you move the camera, in camera focus stacking would be useful, and I'd expect that the individual shots would be available in raw for external processing as well.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
CanonGrunt said:
I would guess that parts of this would end up in the cinema side as part of the next generation of DPAF as well. Looks like some of this would apply anyway.

I'm having a hard time understanding how the camera could do Cinema video with focus stacking, and say 25 frames stacked for each frame of the video. It would mean 750 fps to get a 30 fps video, and a super computer.

All future DSLR's, except the bottom of the line units will be DPAF. that would have no impact on focus stacking that I could envision. The dual pixel output option of the 5D MK IV does not change focus enough to be useful for focus stacking from my experiments.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
CanonGrunt said:
I would guess that parts of this would end up in the cinema side as part of the next generation of DPAF as well. Looks like some of this would apply anyway.

I'm having a hard time understanding how the camera could do Cinema video with focus stacking, and say 25 frames stacked for each frame of the video. It would mean 750 fps to get a 30 fps video, and a super computer.

All future DSLR's, except the bottom of the line units will be DPAF. that would have no impact on focus stacking that I could envision. The dual pixel output option of the 5D MK IV does not change focus enough to be useful for focus stacking from my experiments.

I might be thinking of something else...

Upvote 0