Canon Patent Application: Haptic Feedback for R1/R3 camera bodies

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
One of the issues with a totally silent camera is the fact that we have very little in the way of feedback when an operation occurs. If you don’t want that incessant beep and are using an electronic shutter, it’s easy to miss that an image has been taken, or that another operation has occurred.

See full article...

Sep 20, 2020
I don't get the problem with "you can't really know what grip is being used" The motor can vibrate where the shutter is pressed ....
Not only that, cameras can already detect whether they are in portrait or landscape orientation.
Both of these are actually mentioned in the patent.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I don't get the problem with "you can't really know what grip is being used" The motor can vibrate where the shutter is pressed ....
not all vibration related actions happen with the shutter press. I do believe they mention shutter action and others. this patent application specifically deals with the detection of hand placement. even a capacitive shutter would be problematic in some cases.

orientation sensors can't do it either because i can rotate the camera from landscape position to portrait without moving my hand position.

i could see a final solution involving several different detection methods being used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the should add a loud siren and flashing lights as feedback too...

hehe sorry I know I'm missing something, but seems counter intuitive to introduce vibration to something you strive to keep as still as possible to get the best images. I'm firmly in camp of as silent and still as possible, when possible.
I'm of two minds.

will we have "haptic shock" instead of shutter shock - if so then obviously sounds bad. but it could be good if it could be turned on for everything other than a shutter full depress. it would indicate to the user that some setting was changed perhaps accidentially.

could also have an intensity setting as well.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
One of the issues with a totally silent camera is the fact that we have very little in the way of feedback when an operation occurs. If you don’t want that incessant beep and are using an electronic shutter, it’s easy to miss that an image has been taken, or that another operation has occurred.

See full article...
Why not letting the smartphone in your pocket vibrate via Canon Connect App?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Useless feature. Come on Canon we need answers for Nikon 400mm f4.5, 600mm f6.3 and 180-600mm.
Useless post.

Where is Nikon’s answer to the affordable 15-30 and 100-400? To the 600/11 and 800/11? Or to the 1200/8? The 5.2 VR? Their smaller/lighter 70-200/2.8? Their 28-70/2 Let me guess, you don’t care about those lenses, so ‘we’ don’t need them.

It’s great that we have people like you who can speak for all of us and know what we need and what we don’t.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Tactile feedback is obviously important, as attested by pilots of fly-by-wire airplanes and game controller users among others (sigh… once upon a time there was Force Feedback and joysticks that actually fought you, none of that silly vibrating business). But are current e-shutter cameras really unable to emit a fake shutter click, soft enough that only the shooter can hear? Is it either an annoying beep or nothing?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
But are current e-shutter cameras really unable to emit a fake shutter click, soft enough that only the shooter can hear? Is it either an annoying beep or nothing?
In a quiet environment (e.g. concert hall), even a soft beep or fake shutter sound is often unwanted. But it's not nothing – in silent mode (at least on my R3), the border of the EVF flashes white with each shutter actuation.

Upvote 0
Any of you all old enough to remember the old "blimps" used to silence cameras at quiet events?

I could see vibrations not affecting image stability if done between shots in single-shot mode handheld. But when I was testing tripods, I was surprised to see some vibration dampening take 3-4 seconds. Very curious to see how they'd execute this.

Upvote 0