Patent: Internal liquid cooling of camera body

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Keith over at Northlight Images uncovered a pretty cool patent pertaining to cooling of camera bodies. A lot has been discussed about this topic over the last couple of years.
This patent shows Canon using magnets to pump the liquid through the cooling tubes, which I would think, would make this type of active cooling silient, unlike internal cooling fans. This would also do a much better job of bringing the internal temperatures down that simply using copper heatsinks.
Cooling of camera bodies is going to be an area a lot of resources are going to be poured into we think. Especially with consumer 8K, high-resolution and high-speed cameras becoming more common, and they’re only going to get faster and more capable in the future.

FadJ7c5XkAY1zxt-168x168.png

Continue reading...

Last edited:

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Pun intended?
Intended, and appropriate.

Camera cooling is the future as the tech advances. A liquid cooled camera is a much more elegant solution than a fan. Some say the fan on the R5C doesn't add a lot. I can see what they mean as it does feel the same in hand, but the added bulk is noticeable. And it's a much tighter fit in some of my camera bags.

More importantly, cooling is going to be critical for the higher resolution/higher framerate capturing modes. What I'm most hopeful for, are codecs with a much more aggressive form of compression, which adds more processing and heat, so we can get file sizes down. I've also noticed tests that show that the R5C's image is better than the R5 especially at higher ISO. I suspect the cooling has to do with that. Makes sense since heat adds noise.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Hopefully in the R5 II in about two years. I was also looking at the patent image looking for a global shutter, again wishing.
In which case you need to look at the patents covering aspects of sensor design and manufacture - these regulalry cover shutter, readout and related aspects
Remeber anything not related to the primary idea of the patent is just padding to show examples of the main idea in use.
There have been a steady stream of shutter/readout related ones over recent years, but the patents are too complex and specific for me to quickly summarise in posts.

Upvote 0
More importantly, cooling is going to be critical for the higher resolution/higher framerate capturing modes. What I'm most hopeful for, are codecs with a much more aggressive form of compression, which adds more processing and heat, so we can get file sizes down. I've also noticed tests that show that the R5C's image is better than the R5 especially at higher ISO. I suspect the cooling has to do with that. Makes sense since heat adds noise.
I think that processor efficiency/nm line width will also play a big part. Sony has shown that their high compression codecs for 8K can still be done in a smaller body than the R5/c and also have longer CIPA battery life even though the battery capacity isn't much different.
In theory, more processor effort will produce more heat (apples to apples) but this could be offset by the non-use of the CFe card which is a big heat generator in itself

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
will this puta drain on battery, would we then need higher capacity battery?
I don't think so. It states that magnets are used to move the liquid through the tubes. I'd imagine these to be permanent magnets, rather that an electromagnetic design. Neodymium magnets, maybe? It could be that the liquid viscosity changes in the hotter part of the loop too, which might influence the liquid in the magnetic field. *Just me making an uninformed guess. I've forgotten a large part of my physics and magnetism training.* Again, just my guess.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think so. It states that magnets are used to move the liquid through the tubes. I'd imagine these to be permanent magnets, rather that an electromagnetic design. Neodymium magnets, maybe? It could be that the liquid viscosity changes in the hotter part of the loop too, which might influence the liquid in the magnetic field. *Just me making an uninformed guess. I've forgotten a large part of my physics and magnetism training.* Again, just my guess.
That sounds like the "Magneto-Hydrodynamic" drive from the Red October :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Honestly, I don't think liquid cooling is the best solution in an application like this.
Vapor pipes might be more useful in this application, because these don't require moving parts and as far as I remember, they can actually transfer more heat than pumped liquid cooling.
Vapor pipes are also a fully passive cooling solution, so they won't impact battery life.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
will this puta drain on battery, would we then need higher capacity battery?
I guess even a water-cooled battery whose cooling system will be powered with a second (air-cooled?) battery ;)
Unless Canon prefer to use a portable 2 Kw. Honda 4 stroke power generator.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hopefully in the R5 II in about two years. I was also looking at the patent image looking for a global shutter, again wishing.
Me too but probably for different reasons as I’m not a videographer. I want a global shutter for flash photography, specifically balancing ambient light with flash at high shutter speeds without HSS, HS, or ND filters. A global shutter would also allow smaller flash units in location because you wouldn’t need to over compensate on flash power for HSS or ND filters. You could get away with speed lights or something like the A2’s where you would need 250/500w now.

Upvote 0