Patent: Soft Focus Lens Designs, Various Focal Lengths

Apr 23, 2018
just a bit sick and tired of "incessant" personal attacks and the ongoing attempt to bully me by stating "i was all alone and nobody else" would want the products and features I'd like to get ... rather than useless Canon gimmicks like 1970s style LCD displays on lens barrels.

In reality Canon customers like me are the vast majority. And folks like Neuro are a tiny minorety niche.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Wait a minute, I'm getting confused by the argument.

I thought *I* was the one who wanted a super compact FF Canon mirrorless system, which is why I want EF-M mount and not EF mount.

As I said before, there will be EF mount or EF-M mount, I think it's almost impossible Canon will go for a third incompatible mount system. Once they start doing, for example, cheap 50mm lenses, they'll want them to be sold to APS-C shooters as well as FF shooters, so the mount has to be the same.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
jolyonralph said:
As I said before, there will be EF mount or EF-M mount, I think it's almost impossible Canon will go for a third incompatible mount system. Once they start doing, for example, cheap 50mm lenses, they'll want them to be sold to APS-C shooters as well as FF shooters, so the mount has to be the same.

There is no "incompatible" mount. Canon will simply move from 2 mounts in the mirrorslapping past to 2 mounts in the mirrorless future. 1 FF mount, 1 APS_C mount.

1. EF -> EF-X ... "full frame" image circle; full backwards compatibility with EF glass via simple adapter; functionality within limits of legacy EF glass - especially for AF, but also other more advanced functions; "wireless E-TTL II with second curtain snyc" for example ;-)

2. EF-S -> EF-M .. for APS-C. transition almost complete already. Not many more EF-SS lenses to come. Except an 18-55 kit lens with lens LCD display, maybe :)

Only during multi-year transition period will there be "4 versions of mounts" - 2 old, 2 new. Evrything cross-compatible within reason [lenses need to cover image circle].

Canon does a separate mount for APS-C and FF also with mirrorless because it has worked so well for them in the past. First, people run out and buy "entry level" APS-C cameras and APS-C lenses [EF-S]. Then they upgrade to "full frame" cameras and lenses [EF]. Then they add mirrorless APS-C cameras + lenses [EF-M] for small size. Then they buy full frame mirrorless cameras and lenses ["EF-X"] once Canon launches them.

End result: Canon has cashed in 4 times on the same customer set. :p ;D

Even me, a typical, highly representative, well-informed, good-looking, critical and smart Canon customer has completed the first 3 steps in this lemming cycle already. And looking forward to take the 4th step too. Stupid me. LOL. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
fullstop said:
There is no "incompatible" mount. Canon will simply move from 2 mounts in the mirrorslapping past to 2 mounts in the mirrorless future. 1 FF mount, 1 APS_C mount.

1. EF -> EF-X ... "full frame" image circle; full backwards compatibility with EF glass via simple adapter; functionality within limits of legacy EF glass - especially for AF, but also other more advanced functions; "wireless E-TTL II with second curtain snyc" for example ;-)

2. EF-S -> EF-M .. for APS-C. transition almost complete already. Not many more EF-SS lenses to come. Except an 18-55 kit lens with lens LCD display, maybe :)

EF lenses mount natively on APS-C DSLRs. The hypothetical ‘EF-X’ mount lenses would require an adapter to mount on EOS M bodies, which is a barrier for buyers transitioning from APS-C to FF. Moreover, the ‘really right’ EF-MDB* mount for a FF MILC would require an adapter that’s 6-8mm thick, which is an ergonomic nightmare.

* EF-Mode Dial Boy

fullstop said:
Only during multi-year transition period will there be "4 versions of mounts" - 2 old, 2 new. Evrything cross-compatible within reason [lenses need to cover image circle].

Multi-decade, you mean.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
My Loupedeck+ finally arrived today. I have it installed, I had to restart my computer to get the configuration software to run, but then it was ok.
There is definitely going to be a learning curve, particularly in setting the configuration. I did not want to change the defaults yet, remembering all the unmarked buttons may be a pain if its a seldom used function. That big dial juist wants you to turn it, that puts it in the crop mode and then rotates the image. There is a auto straighten function in the crop mode, I use it, so I need to figure that one out. I also use the auto tone as a starting point, I know it can be done, I just need to find the button.
Its too late to do more anyway, so I'll play tomorrow. I have 2000 images to sort and edit so I'll find out if it hurts lass than using my mouse.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
My Loupedeck+ finally arrived today. I have it installed, I had to restart my computer to get the configuration software to run, but then it was ok.
There is definitely going to be a learning curve, particularly in setting the configuration. I did not want to change the defaults yet, remembering all the unmarked buttons may be a pain if its a seldom used function. That big dial juist wants you to turn it, that puts it in the crop mode and then rotates the image. There is a auto straighten function in the crop mode, I use it, so I need to figure that one out. I also use the auto tone as a starting point, I know it can be done, I just need to find the button.
Its too late to do more anyway, so I'll play tomorrow. I have 2000 images to sort and edit so I'll find out if it hurts lass than using my mouse.

This is a soft-focus lens thread, isn't it? ???

- A

Upvote 0