Patent: Superzoom lenses for EF and RF mounts

AutoMatters

EOS R3
Dec 3, 2021
Lenstip has recently reviewed the Sigma 60-600mm, and it looks really good.
https://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=obiektywu&test_ob=545
I need both. I would use the 150-600mm L-Series lens to shoot airshows and auto races
As for the other lens, I am a photojournalist. When I am covering events, I need to be prepared to shoot subjects near and far, and sometimes they move within that range. There is no time to change lenses or even to change bodies. For me the 28-300mm lens (Nikon) was my workhourse. I switched over from Nikon F-mount professional DSLR bodies to the Canon R3 (RF-mount). I need an RF L-Series superzoom. In the meantime I am making do with the consumer grade RF 24-240mm, but I really need a weather-sealed lens with robust construction and a manual focus switch.
Jan

Upvote 0

AutoMatters

EOS R3
Dec 3, 2021
I've had the 35-350L and 28-300L. They are certainly excellent for 10:1 zooms. My issue was the size, they are huge.

Canons said some time ago that their orginal target market for these were PJ's where the ability to have a super zoom along with sharp images was needed.

Obviously, they don't match a high end prime or a shorter high end zoom, but there was a market, it might still exist. I bought both of them in mint condition for way under market value, and after using them for a few months, sold them and bought another lens.
I am a photojournalist. When I am covering events, I need to be prepared to shoot subjects near and far, and sometimes they move within that range. There is no time to change lenses or even to change bodies. For me the 28-300mm lens (Nikon) was my workhourse. I switched over from Nikon F-mount professional DSLR bodies to the Canon R3 (RF-mount). I need an RF L-Series superzoom. In the meantime I am making do with the consumer grade RF 24-240mm, but I really need a weather-sealed lens with robust construction and a manual focus switch.
While i used to shoot still almost exclusively with my Nikon F-mount professional DSLRs, since I switched to the Canon R3 RF-mount, I have started to shoot more and more video, so the ability to zoom in and out between wide and telephoto shots is very useful — more so if the zoom ring offers little resistance. My 24-240mm consumer grade lens has butter-smooth zooming, but my L-Series 24-70mm lens is so stiff qhen zooming that it is almost impossible to do smooth zooms while shooting video. The R3 makes it incredibly easy to shoot in-focus video of cars racing. I do not even have to switch over the stills/video switch. I just press the red record button. The default video setting are fine for my needs.
Jan

Upvote 0