Canon RF 24-300mm f/2.8-5.6L IS USM optical formula patent published

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Speaking of which, my R8 needs a cleaning thanks to several lens changes while hiking on Mount Etna in Sicily, with lots of volcanic dust kicked up by fellow hikers.
Interesting observation. The R8 doesn't have the mechanical shutter coming down when the camera is turned off. I've been taking TCs on and off repeatedly in the field with the R5 and R7, which have the protection, and have never needed to clean their sensors. The self-cleaning seems to take care of any problems.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Interesting observation. The R8 doesn't have the mechanical shutter coming down when the camera is turned off. I've been taking TCs on and off repeatedly in the field with the R5 and R7, which have the protection, and have never needed to clean their sensors. The self-cleaning seems to take care of any problems.
Yes, I had that thought regarding the possible omission of a mechanical shutter from the R1.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes, I had that thought regarding the possible omission of a mechanical shutter from the R1.
If so, they would probably copy the Z9 and have a separate shutter just for protection. The omission of the shutter in the cheaper new Canons has put me off them.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
If so, they would probably copy the Z9 and have a separate shutter just for protection. The omission of the shutter in the cheaper new Canons has put me off them.
For whatever reason there is more dynamic range with a mechanical shutter.
Unless and until this is not true then a true flagship should have a mechanical shutter.
The Z 8 makes a lot of sense.
For the Z 9 Nikon removed the mechanical shutter and replaced it with marketing hype.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
1) massively more AI, including AI trained on all Olympic sports, for choosing AF

2) potentially the shutter patented a few years ago, which can double DR (in effect single-shot HDR), electronic ND, and global shutter

3) eye controlled focus that works perfectly. (I thought it worked fine even on the EOS-3 I had around '99).

Upvote 0

AutoMatters

EOS R3
Dec 3, 2021
I’m ALL in on this lens! For 10 days straight every year the 24-240 becomes my main lens for the biggest/longest race I shoot. There’s simply no replacement for a mega zoom during that event. As surprisingly good as the 24-240 has been, it’s still a major step backwards from L series performance - especially the handling of chromatic aberration and distortion.

So if this comes out, I will be locked and loaded for it.
I've been pleading with Canon reps for this lens ever since I switched from Nikon (for 50 years, most recently with the D5 and D4S) to Canon's wonderful R3 mirrorless. That camera's autofocus car mode is incredible for shooting auto racing.
As a professional photojournalist and weekly columnist, I especially need one lens with enough zoom range to do capture decent images in pretty much every potential shooting situation that I am likely to encounter as I'm walking around covering events.
So far, I've been using Canon's consumer grade 24-240mm but I occasionally shoot in dirty, dusty, rainy environments, so I need a weather-sealed, rugged, high quality lens. Since I was not previously a Canon shooter, I do not have, nor will I buy, any EF lenses and the necessary EF-RF adapter,— especially the very expensive, 2004-vintage, EF 28-300mm plus an EF to RF adapter. I will continue to wait for an L-series lens (hopefully 24-300mm L-series) that takes advantage of the RF mount and much more recent technology.
Jan

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Since I was not previously a Canon shooter, I do not have, nor will I buy, any EF lenses and the necessary EF-RF adapter
Shocking to hear a professional make a statement like that.

Most professionals I know mostly care about: how much can I earn, for an outlay of how much money and how much time?

I can see a professional saying: "I do not have, nor will I buy, any equipment upon that will cost $X to own and operate unless I can earn $Y/year with it for Z years."

If you buy this 28-300L and an adapter used, and sell them used, $X is going to be a really small number. If you're a good buyer, you might be able to buy it for less than you can sell it.

The question of being a Canon shooter previously shouldn't enter into it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0