Pdf file can be opened fine in preview mode, but requires a password when opening in Photoshop

Nov 12, 2016
Hello, I have a pdf file of a fabric pattern that Im trying to print on my PRO-4000 large format printer. I can view the file fine in the "preview" application on my Mac, but as soon as I try to open it in Photoshop to use Canon Print Studio Pro (a photoshop plugin) to send the file to the printer, Photoshop requests a password to be able to open the file in Photoshop. Why is this? Is this something the creator of the pdf did to restrict the file? Is it maybe just to prevent editing of the file in photoshop? Is there another way I could maybe open the file into Print Studio Pro to be able to print it?

Thanks.

Mar 26, 2014
Hello, I have a pdf file of a fabric pattern that Im trying to print on my PRO-4000 large format printer. I can view the file fine in the "preview" application on my Mac, but as soon as I try to open it in Photoshop to use Canon Print Studio Pro (a photoshop plugin) to send the file to the printer, Photoshop requests a password to be able to open the file in Photoshop. Why is this? Is this something the creator of the pdf did to restrict the file? Is it maybe just to prevent editing of the file in photoshop? Is there another way I could maybe open the file into Print Studio Pro to be able to print it?

PDF files may have password protection against specific actions, such as editing and printing. Open the file with Acrobat Reader, and check under File -> Properties -> Security.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
PDF files may have password protection against specific actions, such as editing and printing. Open the file with Acrobat Reader, and check under File -> Properties -> Security.
Thanks. Looks like the file was protected from editing, but not from printing. I opened it in Adobe reader, and I was able to figure out the settings to get it to print properly through there, which is amazing because that was the first time I managed to print to roll paper properly outside of Print Studio Pro.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0