Peter McKinnon shows off the Canon EOS R3

Feb 21, 2020
I believe Gordon already made a video on this.
Yeah and he provided just as little information lol

Any coverage of these unreleased cameras is just hype/marketing. Canon's strategy is similar to smartphone maker OnePlus; trickle out tiny bits of information to keep the media speculation and forum chatter alive. Even negative discussion about leaked/missing specs is discussion and benefits Canon.

Upvote 0
That makes sense. Shame we have not seen a sale like that here in the US. But that is pretty awesome.
AUD5500 = ~USD4180 (using 0.76 exchange rate... actual not mid-market rate).
The Australian price includes 10% GST so about USD100 cheaper than the retail price in the US. It does include the local 5 year warranty though.
AUD6400 was the pre-order price including an extra battery and the fancy strap (and 5 year warranty) so significantly more.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
That wasn’t the point, the point was comparing the Z9 to the R3 is irrelevant as they are not competing models.

They will be competing models by circumstance, if not intent, until the R1 arrives. They'll be both be the pinnacle mirrorless cameras offered by the manufacturers regardless of whether they fall into different 'categories'

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
They will be competing models by circumstance, if not intent, until the R1 arrives. They'll be both be the pinnacle mirrorless cameras offered by the manufacturers regardless of whether they fall into different 'categories'
No, if you need 45mp the R3 doesn’t cut it. The R3 and Z9 are completely different tools aimed at different markets and, I’m sure, price points.

The R3 and Z9 are no similar than the R5 and Z9, indeed specs wise the last two make a much better match.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
On back screen shows has been recording video for 6mins and in lower right shows 23min(?), I wonder if that means the R3 still has the less than 30min limit on video ( which just about every other camera maker has removed as the EU tax law it was originally based on has gone). Alternatively it maybe showing 23mm which could be lens focal length
India still has that stupid limit of less than 30mins or else its classified as a cinema camera for import duty. Canon has a big presence in India so they are still adhering to the strictest import laws of the countries they operate in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
I’m thinking that a feature that causes the camera to vibrate when shooting will be bad for image quality.
Think a little more creatively. Are you sure that a detectable haptic effect at one point of contact (maybe the shutter release) will affect image quality in all conditions? Can you feel the shutter even when it can’t be heard? Does that blur your images? Does the vibration need to occur while the image is being recorded or might it be between images.

The patent application is way ahead of your concerns and also happens to cover the selective disablement of the feature in those conditions when it is disruptive.

Upvote 0
On back screen shows has been recording video for 6mins and in lower right shows 23min(?), I wonder if that means the R3 still has the less than 30min limit on video ( which just about every other camera maker has removed as the EU tax law it was originally based on has gone). Alternatively it maybe showing 23mm which could be lens focal length
I think it might be the focal length, which is cool (he mentioned he had it on a 15-35). I've only seen focal length displayed digitally in Olympus cameras.

Upvote 0
If McKinnon has 6 million subscribers....

I'm lost for words.
Why all the hate on Peter? I enjoy his videos and he is a good photographer. He has one of his photos on Canadian money for goodness sakes. He doesn't have 6 million followers because he sucks... I look forward to his review as well as Gordon's. I like Gordon's stuff because he's thorough, but they are also a bit boring... I don't watch them when I'm sleepy.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Still those Z9 specs tick quite a few of my boxes that Canon decided against (GPS, 45MP, dual CFExpress).

As far as Canon's marketing thing: I sorta hate all marketing trickery. As a former product manager in a different business I know how "evil" marketing can be. But it's something you have to reign in if you manage products to keep it all clean and honest. Yet what I see from Canon: hyping the R3 while knowngly hiding it's only got 24MP and hence of limited use to those of us who need to be able to do some (or a lot of) digital zoom in post processing in a world where high-end bodies get 45MP routinely. Same with the removal of GPS from the entire released RF line so far: why ? They had it right in the 7DmkII, had it halfway right in the 5DmkIV (lacking the compass) ! So where are those product managers to keep features their customers use in the products ?

I fear canon is listening way too much to the youtube stars and that's a really bad thing.
I think there are 3 reasons why Canon chose to have "only" 24MP in the R3.
1) They already have a 45MP body - the R5
2) The strongly rumoured "R5s" will be a high MP body
3) They are developing the R1, which is likely to have at least 40MP.

I've never really understood Canon's logic in having 2 different types of slot in the same camera, e.g. my 5DMkiv and my now sold 5DS each have a CF slot and an SD slot, and now my R5 has a CFE-B and an SD. Having a lower performance slot just slows the camera down unless it is only used for JPEG dupes.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Why all the hate on Peter? I enjoy his videos and he is a good photographer. He has one of his photos on Canadian money for goodness sakes. He doesn't have 6 million followers because he sucks... I look forward to his review as well as Gordon's. I like Gordon's stuff because he's thorough, but they are also a bit boring... I don't watch them when I'm sleepy.
It's not hate, I don't "hate" anyone.

It's incredulity.

I don't dispute that he's a good photographer, but I do find the frenetic arm-waving and yap-yap irritating enough to completely turn me off. There is very little substance in his R3 video, he revealed absolutely nothing that we didn't already know. I watched it hoping to learn something, but just got several minutes of meaningless narcissistic drivel. Kai is just as bad, although I do give him credit for producing ONE entertaining video, i.e. the 7D destruction test. Jared Polin isn't exactly my style either, although he does come across as a nice guy.

Bottom line is that there are dozens of reviewers who are a thousand times better. But unfortunately the jabbering arm-wavers and wafflers far outnumber them.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

I've never really understood Canon's logic in having 2 different types of slot in the same camera, e.g. my 5DMkiv and my now sold 5DS each have a CF slot and an SD slot, and now my R5 has a CFE-B and an SD. Having a lower performance slot just slows the camera down unless it is only used for JPEG dupes.
Flexibility (availability and price). Anyway there are fast sd cards (UHS-II) although not that fast as CFExpress.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
SD cards are so flimsy. I never liked them. Many card slots in a notebook do not even hold the full card. Sometimes two thirds of it stick out and therefore they can easily break. Compact Flash cards have the perfect size. The only advantage of SD cards is that you can use a Micro SD card with an adapter that makes it much easier to smuggle it out of a location where photos are not allowed.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
SD cards are so flimsy. I never liked them. Many card slots in a notebook do not even hold the full card. Sometimes two thirds of it stick out and therefore they can easily break. Compact Flash cards have the perfect size. The only advantage of SD cards is that you can use a Micro SD card with an adapter that makes it much easier to smuggle it out of a location where photos are not allowed.
The advantage of SD card is that you may find it almost everywhere and their UHS-I version is cheap (even sandisk extreme pro cards) and you may have many cards already. So for an emergency like CFExpress filling or damage there are OK.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Indeed, and here it is:

The review was published back in June, but at the moment it only covers the basic control layout and a few first impressions. No doubt Gordon has already completed a full field test by now, although it isn't yet published, presumably due to NDAs.

I often consider that there are 3 essentials to be fulfilled prior to purchasing any camera:
1) Read the full review by Gordon, and/or watch his video review.
2) Download a copy of the instruction manual and read it thoroughly.
3) Speak to my bank manager.
I love Gordon. Unfortunately age has caught up with him as you can clearly see tremor in his hands in his videos. Well, at least he puts ibis to the test because of it.

Upvote 0
It's not hate, I don't "hate" anyone.

It's incredulity.

I don't dispute that he's a good photographer, but I do find the frenetic arm-waving and yap-yap irritating enough to completely turn me off. There is very little substance in his R3 video, he revealed absolutely nothing that we didn't already know. I watched it hoping to learn something, but just got several minutes of meaningless narcissistic drivel. Kai is just as bad, although I do give him credit for producing ONE entertaining video, i.e. the 7D destruction test. Jared Polin isn't exactly my style either, although he does come across as a nice guy.

Bottom line is that there are dozens of reviewers who are a thousand times better. But unfortunately the jabbering arm-wavers and wafflers far outnumber them.
Everyone has different styles I guess. I enjoy his videos. I agree we didn't learn much (except that you can have fake shutter sounds in ES which is nice) but he likely is restrained from revealing any info right now due to his NDA.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
For those that want to save 8 minutes of their lives and aren’t McKinnon fans, nothing new in the video, he isn’t allowed to mention anything we don’t already know and he isn’t allowed to show stills or video from it yet.

It’s really just a video saying he has one, well actually he has two, but that’s what happens when you have nearly 6 million subscribers.
Actually we did learn some thing new. Ether the anounce date or the release date is in 3 weeks because that is when PM has to have the video done and the embargo will lift.

Upvote 0
Because these people have nothing better to do. He does films, photography, etc. He actually leaves the studio and records with with high production quality . He goes to exotic locations too. He's not a mere talking head on YouTube.

Upvote 0