Poll: Any chance Canon would release a Monochrome R Camera? Would you buy one?

Poll: Any chance Canon would release a Monochrome R Camera? Would you buy one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I've been watching some YouTube and reading up on the Leica M10 Monochrom camera released not terrible long back.

I've been shooting and converting a lot of digital to B&W as a way to give myself new challenges, and I have several MF film cameras that I shoot B&W (Hassy 501CM, Yashica Mat-124, Fuji GSW690 III)...and those have proven to be a LOT of fun, not only with the different aspect ratios and working with film, but also, making me try to think and "see" in black and white.

The reviews of the Leica M10 seem to indicate that it has a LOT going for it, by being a dedicated monochrome sensor, with no color (Bayer?) filter in front of the sensor...that it will be capable of sharper images, and even gain you a stop or so of light.

I read this article : Why Don't More Manufacturers Make Monochrome Versions of Their Cameras? That got me thinking more about this.

It appears that there are some specialized shops that will make current digital cameras monochrome...but for a price!!

MaxMax - Monochrome Cameras

I know, it is a niche product, but as in that article it mentioned that the Canon Ra for astro photography is a bit niche....would they maybe consider a dedicated monochrome camera?

If so...would you buy it?

I gotta say....I would seriously consider it. But I also thought, that while I do want a FF B&W sensor, I would appreciate the smallness maybe of the Canon M cameras or even a rangefinder type one like the Leica ( or what if Fuji put out a B&W only X-Pro3?).

Anyway...what are your thoughts?

Would you want one?
Would you buy one?

cayenne

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I could see a firmware mod or something, but for most companies I assume they cannot really afford to make a whole sensor and camera dedicated for this.

Personally not interested, software is incredibly powerful and can easily create wonderful BW images, and while it is fun sometimes I am not that turned on by the art of no color stills. Granted you cannot shoot in the field that way, but I bet you can get a monochrome live view with ecternal monitoring even now.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I wouldn't buy one. Canon would / should do whatever adds to its bottom line, and I have no idea whether such a camera would do that.

Changes would include making a sensor with no Bayer filter, and changing firmware and DPP accordingly (no demosaicing, adjust ISO values, etc). Then there's the question of how quickly third party software, like Photoshop, would support it, e.g. in raw import. Seems to me like more work than required for the astro models (20Da, 60Da, Ra) for what I guess is even a smaller market. I'm not surprised Canon didn't make such a camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
No and no.

The cost of the limited sales numbers and subsequent production run would mean it would have to sell for a lot more than a color version. Economies of scale and all.

If you want a B&W Canon just turn your picture style to Monochrome, review plays back in B&W on the camera and most RAW editing software respects the B&W tag too.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
No, I can set my camera to monochrome. Bayer filters do not change resolution.

They don't change resolution, but they do cut 2/3rds of the light, which increases noise / exposure time. The image would also have to be demosaiced (AFAIK, the interpolation causes loss of detail, so same resolution but not as detailed) and converted to B&W.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
A FF monochrome camera would be great for astro photography maybe with drop in filters so you can expose the different wave lengths one by one.

Many here (likely including you) probably know about this, but just in case, there was an enterprising photographer over a hundred years ago in Imperial Russia (Prokudin-Gorskii) who took monochrome pictures (nothing else existing yet), but did so through red, yellow and blue filters. He travelled to some very remote places in Siberia and what today are the "stans" (Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, etc). Today, of course, it's possible to assemble color prints from it, with occasional ghosting where the subject moved between the three exposures.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/old-russian-empire-color-photos-180950229/

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
No and no.

The cost of the limited sales numbers and subsequent production run would mean it would have to sell for a lot more than a color version. Economies of scale and all.

If you want a B&W Canon just turn your picture style to Monochrome, review plays back in B&W on the camera and most RAW editing software respects the B&W tag too.

I admit it would be a niche camera, but...would it be more niche than the Canon Ra....for astro photography?

I would think there would be at least the same interest for a monochrome camera as a dedicated astro photography one...maybe more?

I'd likely get one.....would be interesting.

Again, I don't know what all not having color does for the camera's sensitivity, etc...but they do claim the dedicated Leica Monochrom has extra stop of light, higher native ISO, etc....

Anyway, just thought it was an interesting thought....and something different.

C

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I admit it would be a niche camera, but...would it be more niche than the Canon Ra....for astro photography?

I would think there would be at least the same interest for a monochrome camera as a dedicated astro photography one...maybe more?

I'd likely get one.....would be interesting.

Again, I don't know what all not having color does for the camera's sensitivity, etc...but they do claim the dedicated Leica Monochrom has extra stop of light, higher native ISO, etc....

Anyway, just thought it was an interesting thought....and something different.

C
Oh I’m not criticizing the hypothetical thought process, I just don’t think there is a chance of it happening. Don’t forget the Ha filter on any of the list of Canon ‘a‘ cameras doesn’t alter the sensor stack geometry, much like the 5DSr isn’t AA filterless, and that Ha filter material was developed a long time ago so development and manufacturing costs would be modest compared to the work involved in a completely different and low volume stack. Maybe they could put a ‘clear’ CFA in there?

As for better performance, there is a definite light transmission loss to the CFA so going without one certainly adds to the sensitivity, but I‘m not sure it is that important. I’d think if they were to do it it would be to make a statement along the lines of ‘we are a serious photographers camera company’ or ‘we design cameras for photographers’ but that would risk alienating those spoilt brat video/hybrid shooters, and they’d never wrestle that mantle from Leica anyway.

Given the cost and the contracting market along with Canon’s conservative nature, and the shellacking they got with the R5/6 I can’t see anybody in corporate sticking their heads out to push this idea. Well done video/hybrid shooters, well done...

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
No, I can set my camera to monochrome. Bayer filters do not change resolution.
I can't get my head around how they might implement it. Without the color filters, couldn't each formerly color pixel be read as four separate pixels for ridiculous resolution? I'm not sure that would be a good idea, but wouldn't it be possible in the design? Or if they really wanted to go all-in, couldn't they design a sensor that wasn't geared toward being filtered for color in the first place?

As it is now, we can take color shots and process in Lightroom, ACR, or Photoshop to mix as we please, having a virtually infinite choice of color filter equivalents. With B&W film, I used to choose between yellow, orange, red, and none, according to the effect I wanted. Unless the camera had some amazing advantages otherwise, I don't think I want to go back, filterwise, to those thrilling days of yesteryear.

Upvote 0