POLL: Did you peak and what did you do about it?

Did your photography skills peak or remain constant for some time in the past?

• Yes, but I did ... (specify below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
I'm wondering about how the skill progression of other people is/was and if they feel they've "peaked" at some point and your photography results didn't get better. Did you ever feel you keep shooting and doing the same things over and over again, but lacked the imagination or skill to move on? Did you even feel that you were better in the past, for whatever reasons?

If so, I'd be interested what you do/did to be able to move forward. Keep experimenting? Read internet tutorials or books? Participate in dynamic range discussions on CR :-> ?

I hope some people vote and share their thoughts. For me, learning to shoot "good" pictures was easy with some trial & error, "very good" is possible but requires a lot of concentration & time, but "really excellent" might need something I haven't acquired. Yet :)

How would one measure whether their skills have peaked?

I would like to meet a photographer who claims that they have peaked and have nothing more to learn.... actually, I would probably hate that conversation.

Even with stacked 2X converters, I still can't see the point when my photography skills would peak ;D... I don't want them to peak.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
AcutancePhotography said:
How would one measure whether their skills have peaked?

You can't measure it, just feel it for yourself - or ask other people when showing them current shots and the ones from the last months or years. If you or they cannot determine any progress considering technical or artistic skill, you've peaked. And in this context technical improvement doesn't mean 1d4->1dx or 5d2->5d3, even on CR :->

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
mackguyver said:
until then, I'll keep working on getting better!

I'm amazed by the confidence of the CR users, probably when sitting in front of a screen, typing posts on CR you feel like an invincible photog :). As all people keep getting better (yes, I voted this too, but barely) I really have to check up on the posters: If people never peak, this means it'll be a tough fight for "photog of the year" in the future :p

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
mackguyver said:
until then, I'll keep working on getting better!

I'm amazed by the confidence of the CR users, probably when sitting in front of a screen, typing posts on CR you feel like an invincible photog :). As all people keep getting better (yes, I voted this too, but barely) I really have to check up on the posters: If people never peak, this means it'll be a tough fight for "photog of the year" in the future :p
I think the word you're really looking for is plateau and that's something we all do. The plateau doesn't have to be flat, however, but it's unlikely to be the jagged peak it was when we were just learning photography or moving into higher end equipment. I'm still hopeful for some future peaks, and each new genre requires a new climb. It's possible that one of those new climbs could lead to a far higher place than where one is right now :)

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
mackguyver said:
I think the word you're really looking for is plateau and that's something we all do. The plateau doesn't have to be flat, however, but it's unlikely to be the jagged peak it was when we were just learning photography or moving into higher end equipment.

Well, I'm just learning photography :) and in this case, "peak" is really the word that fits what I'm thinking of. That's because in my experience, when you're new at a genre or style, you're eager and put a lot of work and concentration into it. If you (i.e. I) don't keep moving forward, I'm becoming lazier and the results get *worse* - that's why I chose "peaked". Happened to me with mushroom macro focus stacking, good results, but a hilarious amount of work, so if it's becoming boring the shots aren't as good anymore.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
distant.star said:
Tous les jours à tous points de vue je vais de mieux en mieux!!
You must be in your young age. Get old and we will see if you are getting stronger, unless your positive attitude convinces you that weaker means better. "La ligne entre attitude positive et arrogance est tres mince"

Yes, I peaked some 2 years ago. Not because I was mister perfect, just I didn't know anymore how to get better. I realized that I had a lot to learn, just I didn't know how to.
I met someone who told me that my biggest problem was that I am too stuburn and assume too much that how I do or think is the right way. Like, I shoot with a very good camera and there is no need to fix anything in post I just need to shoot better, or it is the weakness of my camera that I don't get good result in low light, or I have shot in JPG for years and I have been fine so why would waste time in shooting raw, and so on.
I said to myself: I haven't win anything, I am not making good money, so why would I think that he is wrong?

I need to learn, and learn alot more. I am still nobody. Narrow mind made me peak. Will peak no more! That's why I read CR everyday; some good advice here sometime.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
If there is a poll for most "boring and crappy photos", mines will be at top ;)

From the beginning, I build my gear based on my kids. Times went by, I
m getting bored with just kids photos. Decided to try sports and wildlife photography, well things are getting much more interesting now. Wish I have more times.

About try diff. type of photography? Sports, wildlife, moon star etc....

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
It's a slippery slope... Some days are good, others are really crappy. In some ways I think I'm much better today, but I often sense that I lack the "eye" I once had. Also lost that feeling I had for shadows and how they helped build depth and interest in a photo. Could be the penalty for shooting loads of birds and BIFs where split vision and split second timing throws me off the sane thinking needed to create a stunning image.
Other distractions in life, also part of the reason for situation as it is.

Upvote 0
DominoDude said:
It's a slippery slope... Some days are good, others are really crappy. In some ways I think I'm much better today, but I often sense that I lack the "eye" I once had. Also lost that feeling I had for shadows and how they helped build depth and interest in a photo. Could be the penalty for shooting loads of birds and BIFs where split vision and split second timing throws me off the sane thinking needed to create a stunning image.
Other distractions in life, also part of the reason for situation as it is.
Shooting wildlife is an incredibly frustrating endeavor - the stupid models either don't show up, show up in the wrong place, or run away as soon as you get near them. Even if you find a cooperative one, they don't hold still, often stand in the worst light, and turn away from you as soon as you get them in focus. That's not to mention the 'studio' which either seems to give you amazing or crap light with no control and it changes by the second sometimes!

If you get a good wildlife shot, you feel amazing, but if you come home with nothing, you feel like the crappiest photographer. So back to the topic, you can peak one day, and crash the valley floor the next! That's why I try to mix it up a bit...

Upvote 0