[POLL] Would you be interested in a 5D Mark V?

• Thread starter Deleted member 68328
  • Start date

Would you be interested in a 5D Mark V?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 68328

Poll is now over.

Of course, given the recent release of the R system, it was to be expected that the "No" would prevail.
That said, more than 1/3 of you voters would still buy a 5D Mark V DSLR if it were to be released despite the very existence of the new R system. Impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
While I can understand peoples' interest in at least one last 5D camera with an OVF, I just don't see it happening.

It appears Canon is firmly in place to go down the mirrorless road full bore.

One thing I've discovered by my stepping into mirrorless, is the fun of adapting other lenses to these bodies.

I'm especially having fun adapting old vintage, but well made lenses to manual focus on my mirrorless bodies. It's opening a whole new world of creative adventures for me, and often at a more than reasonable price.

I still have my 5D3...so, I'm good for a mirror slapper for awhile to come, but even if they were to offer one more at a very reasonable price,

I don't think I'd buy one...as that I see it as dead end tech at this point....

But there are other opinions out there as valid as mine on the opposite side of the issues, often by people that are more knowledgeable than I.....
:)

cayenne

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
As i just got an R6 the answer is no, but had I not done so and a 5d5 was given the 1dx3 focusing system then perhaps I would have been. Even though I have decided to go the mirrorless route there is still a nagging worry in the back of my head that the evf will give me eye/headache issues when staring through it for long periods. I am just hoping that the 120hz refresh rates will minimize that.

Upvote 0
Yes. And as I finally pulled the trigger on a MkIV on Black Friday - it will probably be announced soon o_O

I'd been holding off, but then got increasingly concerned as my two 'local' Canon authorised dealers have been out of stock for a couple of months (wasn't going to buy, just kept looking to track the price - then started wondering if stocks are starting to run low as more places were out of stock). Then, as if by magic, Canon UK store was back in stock for the end of November, and offering £430 cash back for Black Friday. Combined with the fact I get to reclaim the VAT too (20%), I just decided to get one in case it is the last 5 series that Canon do with a mirror....

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Assuming Canon would release a 5D Mark V (as Nikon plans to release a D850 successor), would you be interested?
I think for many, that would depend heavily on what improvements they offer over the 5D IV. I would expect those to be very minor or the price to go up. Certainly no IBIS, at best the 1DX III AF sensor, 9 FPS and of course the R5 sensor. It would be poor value compared to an R5, which does not have to deal with the complexity of a mirror (slows down FPS, requires separate special sensors for OVF AF adding to the cost) and has access to native RF glass, allowing for more lenses to be used and of course that nice IBIS + lens IS, as well as greater over all IBIS movement range due to lacking the restriction of a mirror box.

I am not certain what people expect an 5D V to look like. Just a 5D IV with a modern sensor and in LiveView, 12 FPS mechanical, 20 electronic? What about a flip screen? That would require sacrificing on the ergonomics, making it less of a 5D and more of an R5 - with some functional compromises to retain the OVF.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

Yes. And as I finally pulled the trigger on a MkIV on Black Friday - it will probably be announced soon o_O

I'd been holding off, but then got increasingly concerned as my two 'local' Canon authorised dealers have been out of stock for a couple of months (wasn't going to buy, just kept looking to track the price - then started wondering if stocks are starting to run low as more places were out of stock). Then, as if by magic, Canon UK store was back in stock for the end of November, and offering £430 cash back for Black Friday. Combined with the fact I get to reclaim the VAT too (20%), I just decided to get one in case it is the last 5 series that Canon do with a mirror....
I think you did really good here given current prices, VAT and cash back. It's a no brainer.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I lean toward Yes, but my true answer is that it depends.

How much of an improvement would it be over a 5D4, what will the price be, and how much of a value is it compared to the R5's feature set. A proper 5D5 may need an adapted version of the 1DX3 AF system (just like the 5D3 was for the original 1DX). It would be great to throw DSLR holdouts a bone, those of us who value the tried-and-true and the reliable, but I'm beginning to understand why they wouldn't from a business perspective.

I still plan on trying out an R5 once normalcy returns to see what all the hoopla is about...but I just know based on my experiences with the RP that the DSLR is not dead to me yet, not even close.

Upvote 0
Having the Autofocus directly on the sensor with mirrorless cameras has proved to be a night and day difference with my shooting. My hit rate these days is easily over 95% and it means I can shoot fewer images on a job, saving time while still knowing I will have ‘the’ shot in perfect focus. Just makes shooting life stress free. I wouldn’t go back to a DSLR

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
If the 5D IV gets cheap enough, I will likely give in to temptation and buy one, though my 6D2 really does everything I need quite well. I somehow don't manage to have the problems with autofocus and such that some of you guys do. If we didn't have different needs and interests, then there would need to be only one camera to rule them all. I'd still need to use the 6D2 on the occasions when I need a flippable screen. So the 5D V would need to boldly go where no DSLR has gone before for me to blow that kind of money on a new camera, especially since its introduction could further crater the price for the IV. And I understand why people might not want a flippable screen on the 5D V. Also, moving screens are illegal in basketball.

For now anyway, I have a G5X II for my mirrorless needs. It at least doesn't have a mirror. I don't see spending many thousands of dollars to solve problems I don't have. That's not either to begrudge or to envy those of you who have those concerns and have the cash to deal with them.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Not sure what you mean by this.
Are you saying that some basketball games won't let you shoot the game if you have a flippy screen on your camera?
Thanks in advance,
C

From Wikipedia:
Successfully "setting a screen" in team sports such as basketball and water polo requires attention to position and timing. An offensive player will first establish position so that his teammate can move toward him. The teammate changes pace and direction, and cuts (moves or dribbles quickly) very close to the screening player. The defender who is covering the cutter will have to push into the screening player, or divert around, losing a few steps. In basketball and lacrosse, the offensive player setting the pick must remain stationary at the moment of contact with the defender, and allow the defensive player a "reasonable opportunity" to avoid the screen; a screen is illegal if the screener moves in order to make contact, and obtains an advantage; the result is an offensive foul in basketball and a technical foul in lacrosse. There must be illegal contact for a moving screen to be a foul; no illegal contact, no foul, no matter how much moving the screener does. If the screener holds, leans or moves into the defender to cause contact, this will result in a foul on the screener.

I was trying to add a bit of levity to the discussion. Apparently I missed.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2020
Not sure what you mean by this.
Are you saying that some basketball games won't let you shoot the game if you have a flippy screen on your camera?

Thanks in advance,

C

It's humor... camera flippy screen moves. basketball has a play called a screen. The player performing the screen can't move otherwise it's called a "moving screen". A flippy screen is a "moving screen" so it would be illegal at a basketball game :LOL:

Upvote 0
Yes, because of the OVF.
Many arguments in favor of mirrorless are:
- exposure simulation through EVF
- improved autofocus through use of imaging sensor

However, there is no reason these same features can't be driven into DSLR.

Exposure simulation: Well, we already have info overlays in the OVF (exposure, horizon level, time/date, etc) so much so that focusing screens are no longer removable. It isn't much of a stretch to further "enhance" this overlay by shining increasing amounts of light in a viewfinder mask that sits immediately before the eyepiece (for example) for overexposure, or darken the mask for underexposure.

Improved Autofocus: the 1DX Mark III can already do face and head recognition through an *OVF* AF sensor. That in itself is rather impressive. This sensor could grow to cover a larger AF area to match the 90-100% image sensor AF coverage of mirrorless.

There remains tucked away the fixed pellicle mirror design of the EOS 1N RS. Continuous AF ability and no viewfinder blackout.
Compared to my EOS 3, I really have a difficult time discerning any OVF light loss in the majority of situations. And with the vast improvements in current AF sensor low-light focus ability, the impacts would be negligible.
I think it's worth revisiting this design for the DSLR.

My message is, this is simply technology and can be done. Many ways to skin a cat (though i would never do such a thing).
There needs to be a market (ie, $$) strong enough to convince Canon to continue with DSLR development, so I'm hoping that will be the case. I will continue to buy DSLR as long as Canon makes them.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
It's humor... camera flippy screen moves. basketball has a play called a screen. The player performing the screen can't move otherwise it's called a "moving screen". A flippy screen is a "moving screen" so it would be illegal at a basketball game :LOL:
'

Ahh..ok.

Yeah, I"m not that well versed on sports in general. I get it now.
:)

C

Upvote 0