[POLL] Would you be interested in a 5D Mark V?

• Thread starter Deleted member 68328
  • Start date

Would you be interested in a 5D Mark V?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Clearly "it depends."

Two answers, actually. I've now invested in and jumped into mirrorless with both feet (R5 + RP). Still adapting some wonderful EF lenses. The reality is that I am not going to spend more dollars on another DSLR unless there is some major limitation with the R5 that I discover (and it would have to be very major). Every camera has some flaw or design issue but we learn to work with those issues. So far, the R5 is spectacular (for stills). As great as the 5Div was for me, the R5 is better so far. In fairness, I have not yet done any wildlife or BIF nor used my "big white" with an adapter, but I don't think I'll find issues there based on what I've shot so far and based on the reports of others.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Howdy!
Assuming Canon would release a 5D Mark V (as Nikon plans to release a D850 successor), would you be interested?

Have your say and vote!
Nikon's not that smart with their much smaller R&D budget.

I'd follow what Canon appears to be doing is just continue production of 2019/2020 dSLR bodies until 2025/2026.

Focus all resources to more mirrorless full frame bodies to compete with Sony & Canon.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I could be dead by then. I'm fine with keeping what I have, too. btw, I'm libertarian, not conservative.

He meant "conservative" as in photography, not politics, implying that you're behind the times for sticking with older (but tried and true) things like DSLR. That's also "conservative."

Upvote 0
He meant "conservative" as in photography, not politics, implying that you're behind the times for sticking with older (but tried and true) things like DSLR. That's also "conservative."

I think he's trying to make a dad joke. ;)

dSLR has no more future R&D with Canon. Whatever body, lens or accessory designed for that platform will continued to be made until such a time that it costs too much to make by year 2025/2026

New dSLR bodies with pending mirrorless replacements by Q1 2024

* 2020 Rebel > R Rebel Q1 2023
* 2020 1D X Mk III > R1 Q1 2024
* 2019 90D > R10 Q1 2023

Old dSLR bodies with pending mirrorless replacements before 2022

* 2015 5DS / 5DS R > R5s / R5s R June 2021
* 2014 7D Mk II > R7 Sept 2021

Old dSLR bodies with existing mirrorless replacements

* 2017 6D Mk II > R6
* 2016 5D Mk IV > R5

The mirrorless replacement will have a 10% higher introductory price than its dSLR predecessors'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Poll is now over.

Of course, given the recent release of the R system, it was to be expected that the "No" would prevail.
That said, more than 1/3 of you voters would still buy a 5D Mark V DSLR if it were to be released despite the very existence of the new R system. Impressive.
Impressive? Canon would sell only 28 if all the positive voters bought.

• Haha
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
But LOL mate. This is probably the dumbest math I've seen so far.
CR is a forum for Canon users who are keenly interested in new camera gear. If only 28 of the thousands who log in in each week are sufficiently motivated to tell the Canon marketing people who read this site that they would buy a 5DV do you really think that would impress them? Those who don't want a new product don't have the same positive motivation to participate as those who want it so percentages mean very little.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
And the 28 are only "interested". The poll didn't ask if they would realy buy a 5dV.
Nor the most important question: Would a 5D upgrade be the only option they would consider for Canon to extract money out of them.

As long as that portion the market, that will never spend a dollar on RF, is sufficiently small, the gains of focusing on the more lucrative Plattform probably outweigh the losses.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

CR is a forum for Canon users who are keenly interested in new camera gear. If only 28 of the thousands who log in in each week are sufficiently motivated to tell the Canon marketing people who read this site that they would buy a 5DV do you really think that would impress them? Those who don't want a new product don't have the same positive motivation to participate as those who want it so percentages mean very little.

If you don't see how wrong mathematically and logically your comment was, what can I say? A poll is meant to provide a representation of a global population based on a sample as we cannot interrogate the whole population (in our case the whole population = all people around the world in the market for a Canon camera in that segment). This representation is expressed as a % (35.4% for the "yes" in that case). The absolute number (28 for the "yes") has absolutely no meaning per se. Only the % has.

Assume that those who voted "no" would rather buy a R5/R6 instead of a 5D Mark V. Applying your logic, it is as saying that Canon will only sell 51 R5/R6. Really?

Another example: election polls. Say 1000 people are interrogated (sample). Among them, 700 are willing to give their vote for X instead of Y. As an analogy, what you are saying is "oh but there's only 300 people in the whole country who are going to move their arse on Election Day to cast their vote for Y". It seems you cannot differentiate the sample size from the total amount of voters.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
If you don't see how wrong mathematically and logically your comment was, what can I say? A poll is meant to provide a representation of a global population based on a sample as we cannot interrogate the whole population (in our case the whole population = all people around the world in the market for a Canon camera in that segment). This representation is expressed as a % (35.4% for the "yes" in that case). The absolute number (28 for the "yes") has absolutely no meaning per se. Only the % has.

Assume that those who voted "no" would rather buy a R5/R6 instead of a 5D Mark V. Applying your logic, it is as saying that Canon will only sell 51 R5/R6. Really?

Another example: election polls. Say 1000 people are interrogated (sample). Among them, 700 are willing to give their vote for X instead of Y. As an analogy, what you are saying is "oh but there's only 300 people in the whole country who are going to move their arse on Election Day to cast their vote for Y". It seems you cannot differentiate the sample size from the total amount of voters.
In the case of this pole, it is such a poor representation of even just the market, let alone the general population, that you can't draw any meaningful conclusions from the absolute or relative numbers.

I would just take that as the point of Alans post and move on.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
In the case of this pole, it is such a poor representation of even just the market, let alone the general population, that you can't draw any meaningful conclusions from the absolute or relative numbers.

I would just take that as the point of Alans post and move on.
Yes the poll's not random either, it's looking just at the 'very latest tech' group of CR members. Even so I'd guess it's not far off that perscentage of CR members who might consider getting a 5DV at the moment, should one be launched.

But let's face it, Canon is a pretty hard nosed company in balancing what is wanted and what's profitable and that's undoubtably one of the reasons why they are successful. There is no way that we are going to see a 5DV in the immediate future whilst Canon is investing in, and pushing the RF mount. Having used 50mp 5DSs for a few years I'm in the market for a good 20mp camera. I don't want the 6DII or need the features of a 1DXIII, so as a Canon user I'm being pushed into mirrorless with the R6 which looks like a very interesting camera. Also I expect Canon to do what they did with the M series, launch a really aggressively priced RF camera as they did with the aps M3 which gets people (like me) to buy out of curiosity, find they like it and move on into the more expensive cameras and lenses. (The poor man pays twice ;) syndrome).

However two or three years down the line it may be a different story, as some people, enough maybe, want to have a reflex camera again. I get on OK with the EVFs, but then when I go back to the dslr and optical viewfinder I always feel 'this is so much better' despite all the advantages of the EVF and it's playback, exposure histogram etc etc.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
If you don't see how wrong mathematically and logically your comment was, what can I say? A poll is meant to provide a representation of a global population based on a sample as we cannot interrogate the whole population (in our case the whole population = all people around the world in the market for a Canon camera in that segment).
Why limit your voters to such a small circle? Why not pretend that the people who bothered to vote in your poll represent the whole population of the Earth?

Then Canon would be able to sell billions of 5D Mark V cameras!

(Maybe now you can see how wrong mathematically and logically your comment is?)

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I'm one of the 28 who is interested. My interest might be in depressing the price of a 5D IV enough that it becomes an impulse purchase. If I ever bought a 5D V, it would be after the initial price came down a lot, and the camera offered enough advantage to me over the 5D IV or my current 6D2 to be worth my buying it. So it is likely a stretch to gather from our percentage that Canon could count on 2,787,737,902 sales of the 5D V. I doubt they could keep up with demand anyway, given the R5 rollout.

My current reality is that I am not likely to buy an RF camera without an OVF. And I really haven't had the experience of, "I wish my 6D2 had . . . or would . . . ." I'm unable to think of a scenario where Canon is likely to tempt me with a camera any time soon. If I had a situation where I wanted something smaller and lighter than the 6D2 and its array of glass, but more versatile than the G5X II that I use for travel, I'd go with the M series. I haven't thought of that situation, even before the virus restrictions, and all the doom and gloom about the M here would dampen that interest anyway.

Upvote 0