[POLL] Would you be interested in a 5D Mark V?

• Thread starter Deleted member 68328
  • Start date

Would you be interested in a 5D Mark V?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
If you don't see how wrong mathematically and logically your comment was, what can I say? A poll is meant to provide a representation of a global population based on a sample as we cannot interrogate the whole population (in our case the whole population = all people around the world in the market for a Canon camera in that segment). This representation is expressed as a % (35.4% for the "yes" in that case). The absolute number (28 for the "yes") has absolutely no meaning per se. Only the % has.

Assume that those who voted "no" would rather buy a R5/R6 instead of a 5D Mark V. Applying your logic, it is as saying that Canon will only sell 51 R5/R6. Really?

Another example: election polls. Say 1000 people are interrogated (sample). Among them, 700 are willing to give their vote for X instead of Y. As an analogy, what you are saying is "oh but there's only 300 people in the whole country who are going to move their arse on Election Day to cast their vote for Y". It seems you cannot differentiate the sample size from the total amount of voters.

The most realistic option is one that your "scientific" poll totally ignored: It would all depend upon a comparison of the cost of each potential camera to purchase vs. the capabilities of each potential camera to be purchased.

Personally, I could see myself either buying a 5D Mark V or buying an R5 instead based on the comparative prices and performance of the two. The final decision for me wouldn't be until both products have been on the market and used by others for a while. It would also be based upon the fact that I already own most of the lenses I'll ever need in the EF mount. There's not a lot about the current RF lens lineup that motivates me to spend what I'd need to spend to totally switch over to RF at this stage in my life, especially with the current state of the photography industry (as in how much one can expect to be paid for photographic work).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I too have invested far too heavily into the EF system to swap entirely into RF.
I'm using currently my EOS R with the 24-105 and vintage lenses, but otherwise, the 5D IV with anything else.
It's not that I reject the R-R5-R6-RP cameras, but:
- I still prefer OVFs
- Don't want to buy in RF what I already own in EF
- Don't need the "interesting" RF lenses ( 50 or 85mm f1,2) for macro or landscapes
- Yet...the EOS Rs is really tempting, and I'll certainly get it someday!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I too have invested far too heavily into the EF system to swap entirely into RF.
I'm using currently my EOS R with the 24-105 and vintage lenses, but otherwise, the 5D IV with anything else.
It's not that I reject the R-R5-R6-RP cameras, but:
- I still prefer OVFs
- Don't want to buy in RF what I already own in EF
- Don't need the "interesting" RF lenses ( 50 or 85mm f1,2) for macro or landscapes
- Yet...the EOS Rs is really tempting, and I'll certainly get it someday!

You can still use all of your EF lenses on the Rx cameras....heck, one of the BEST things I"ve come to find about mirrorless is the fun to be had adapting ALL sorts and all brands of lenses, especially manual and vintage manual lenses to them.

Opens up whole new creative worlds.

C

Upvote 0
You can still use all of your EF lenses on the Rx cameras....heck, one of the BEST things I"ve come to find about mirrorless is the fun to be had adapting ALL sorts and all brands of lenses, especially manual and vintage manual lenses to them.

Opens up whole new creative worlds.

C
that fun stops when you had enough lens to decide to carry around.. and if the new lens improvement kind of like old megapixel war which further increase don't really gain you any noticeable performance gain in real photos, you stop spending big money. I foresee in coming future when my 5D3 is really broken I would get an R6 for the lower price and enough MP to use, but lens? likely will just stick to the EF lens with the basic or filter adapter where I am fully satisified with their IQ, corner sharpness don't really matters that much, mostly in the EF days my upgrade urge into the L glass is simply constant aperture where I don't need to fickly with ISO or shutter speed when zoomed, and of course the colour tone of L glass is tempting. other than when I first got the lens and pixel peep for corners, I never really care that much for sharpness there, like in a wide angle I bet nobody will put your model there to get distorted badly no matter how sharp the corner is

Upvote 0