Portraits taken in Saudi Arabia

rcarca

Amateur, Enthusiast, Canonphile
Apr 11, 2012
UK
raphoto.me
A few of my favourite portraits taken during a recent trip to Saudi Arabia (all taken on my 5Diii with the 24-105mm lens):

2Y2A2974 by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

EXIF: 105mm, ISO 2500, 1/160, f6.3

2Y2A2980 by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

EXIF: as above except ISO 3200

2Y2A3018 by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

EXIF: 73mm, ISO 2500, 1/40, f6.3

2Y2A2798 by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

EXIF: 105mm, ISO 4000, 1/320, f4.0

2Y2A2649 by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

EXIF: 50mm, ISO 5000, 1/100, f8.0

Thanks for looking

Richard

Schruminator

I'm just kidding, seriously.
Sep 18, 2012
Tulsa, OK USA
www.mschrum.com
EchoLocation said:
love your shots. they really made me smile. They are all really good in different ways.
how'd you find Saudi Arabia? Would you recommend it as a travel destination? These pictures make me want to go!

I've spent 2-4 months in Saudi every year for the last 3 years. I would not recommend it as a travel destination. While the cultural is truly unique and interesting, there really just isn't that much to do if you aren't working. As it was a vast, mostly uninhabited desert up until about 60-80 years ago, there really just isn't that much to see and the it's not geared towards tourists in any manner (no proper city tours, not much in the way of fun activities to do, lacking decent public transport, the roads are rather dangerous and beer/alcohol is illegal). On top of that, taking pictures anywhere near government buildings or oil/chemical facilities (both of which are everywhere it seems) will get you thrown in jail immediately even if only for a day or three while they try and figure out if you are who you claim.

So, if an opportunity comes up through work to visit, go-- see a new place! But I wouldn't spend your hard earned money to go there when there are so many other equally interesting places to visit in the world that are more tourist and photographer friendly.

Upvote 0

rcarca

Apr 11, 2012
UK
raphoto.me
jeff92k7 said:
Very nice. Except, the one of the "white guy" on the couch seems a little out of place. I really like the one in the shoe shop.

Thanks for that. In my mind the photo of my colleague could only have been taken in Saudi Arabia (or another Arab country) This was in a restaurant, where we had to sit on these cushions on the floor! And I thought he looked very comfortable!!! So I include it as a Saudi photograph. In fact most, if not all, of the subjects are immigrants to the country!

Glad you like the shoe shop - I think it is my favourite.

Richard

Upvote 0

rcarca

Apr 11, 2012
UK
raphoto.me
EchoLocation said:
love your shots. they really made me smile. They are all really good in different ways.
how'd you find Saudi Arabia? Would you recommend it as a travel destination? These pictures make me want to go!

I agree that this is not necessarily the top of my free time travel agenda. For example, while it is technically possible to take my wife and two (blonde) teenage daughters, they would not be able to drive, would have to wear abayas, and would probably have to cover their hair. They also could not travel anywhere without my permission. In addition to military and oil sites, I would not recommend photographing women. I only took photographs where my colleague, a local, suggested it was OK.

There are a whole lot more from this trip, which was basically Jeddah and Riyadh on my Saudi set on Flickr: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDXxSj8

Thanks very much for the positive feedback!

Richard

Upvote 0

rcarca

Apr 11, 2012
UK
raphoto.me
Menace said:
It is kinda unusuall setting for a male portrait. Really like the sepia tone effect.

Yes, the strange thing is, of course, that as three males we were allowed into the main part of the restaurant, where women were not allowed, but we were not allowed into the family area. This was a very traditional style restaurant!

Glad you like the sepia effect...

Richard

Upvote 0

rcarca

Apr 11, 2012
UK
raphoto.me
Ray2021 said:
Why is the gentleman reclining like Cleopatra? And where are the serving folk with the wine goblets, rich foods, and other accoutrements? :p

Wine? Beer? Where???!!! None available in public anyway, and I certainly did not see any. The only thing that approached a beer was an "alcohol free malt drink"!!! One of the things you need to be careful of, is not to show the soles of your feet to the other members of the group. That of course means you have to adopt a pose such as the one shown!

If I get round to it, I will post a couple of photographs of the food and drink!

Richard

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2012
rcarca said:
Ray2021 said:
Why is the gentleman reclining like Cleopatra? And where are the serving folk with the wine goblets, rich foods, and other accoutrements? :p

Wine? Beer? Where???!!! None available in public anyway, and I certainly did not see any. The only thing that approached a beer was an "alcohol free malt drink"!!! One of the things you need to be careful of, is not to show the soles of your feet to the other members of the group. That of course means you have to adopt a pose such as the one shown!

If I get round to it, I will post a couple of photographs of the food and drink!

Richard

*Chuckle* Reminds me of the "Yes, Minister" episode where they visit a Gulf country where alcohol is prohibited.

"Minister, you have to take a confidential telephone call in our communications room... it is from Mr. Walker... Mr. Johnnie Walker..."

Upvote 0
rcarca said:
A few of my favourite portraits taken during a recent trip to Saudi Arabia (all taken on my 5Diii with the 24-105mm lens):

2Y2A2974 by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

EXIF: 105mm, ISO 2500, 1/160, f6.3

2Y2A2980 by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

EXIF: as above except ISO 3200

2Y2A3018 by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

EXIF: 73mm, ISO 2500, 1/40, f6.3

2Y2A2798 by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

EXIF: 105mm, ISO 4000, 1/320, f4.0

2Y2A2649 by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

EXIF: 50mm, ISO 5000, 1/100, f8.0

Thanks for looking

Richard