Possible Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark III update [CR2]

Sep 3, 2018
Considering this was supposed to be anounced last year at NAB 2019, the twelve months wait for this has to be something more that 4K 120! The 'developed from scratch' sensor must have some tricks up its sleave or the intoduction price much lower than previous C300's?

If not, a highly discounted C300 MKII would make a nice buy and would make a lovely camera if they got as low a £6000.

Upvote 0
Considering this was supposed to be anounced last year at NAB 2019, the twelve months wait for this has to be something more that 4K 120! The 'developed from scratch' sensor must have some tricks up its sleave or the intoduction price much lower than previous C300's?

If not, a highly discounted C300 MKII would make a nice buy and would make a lovely camera if they got as low a £6000.

Well, I would expect it to have these major improvements:
- 120fps in 4K (C300 II tops out at 30fps)
- Cinema Raw Lite up to 120fps in 4K (C300 II only has 10-bit)
- All of the same internal 10-bit codecs (and maybe even 12-bit that isn't raw?)
- The MUCH MUCH BETTER body and ergonomics of the C500 II (and all the new accessories).
- Much improved AF with touchscreen
- Digital stabilization that many report is pretty great in C500 II and 1DX III
- XLRs on the body and not the terrible clamshell design

Those seem like pretty massive updates to me. Put this around $10-12k and, outside of a full-frame sensor, this thing blows the FX9 out of the water. But Canon really needs to release an under 1kg 16-55mm f2.8 lens (with STABILIZATION) to go with it. Their Supers35/APS-C lenses are not great and their 17-55mm f2.8 can't even cover a DCI 4K image.

This thing could be sweet.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Those seem like pretty massive updates to me. Put this around $10-12k and, outside of a full-frame sensor, this thing blows the FX9 out of the water. But Canon really needs to release an under 1kg 16-55mm f2.8 lens (with STABILIZATION) to go with it. Their Supers35/APS-C lenses are not great and their 17-55mm f2.8 can't even cover a DCI 4K image.

It's pretty rare I agree 100% with someone on the internet, but this is my exact sentiment!

If Canon releases a proper S35 Cine lens with a new C300, that'll keep a LOT of people happy.

The FX9 can't do AF at 60p, and it can't do 4K FF higher than 30p. So if this C300 comes out with 4K 120p, *with* autofocus, then it will absolutely blow up the FX9.

Combined with the fact that the R5 is an excellent B-Cam (Sony has no b-cam to the FX9) and it'll be an easy choice to pick the C300 over the FX9.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
In one sense I think this would be a fantastic camera (based on the rumors) and in another its a touch disappointing. Red did 4k 120fps raw in 2011. 9 years ago! It has been too long of a road for others to catch up and for the price to come down. Also if it is EF that’s a slight buzz kill. 240fps would be something to get excited about and many doc makers would love that, but compressed raw gets dicey with RED. And, on the subject of compression it would be great if Canon let you choose compression ratios up to the limit of Red’s patent (I think 5:1). I’m curious where they will go with the lens. I want more AF cine lenses but it seems odd to come out with an EF one at this point when RF is the way forward. As someone mentioned their first two AF cine lenses left a lot to be desired. Canon please give me a 19-90 (or similar)T2.9 (constant) AF S35 proper cine lens that I can do AF or proper Cine focus, and I’d be even more interested in this camera for certain projects. That said kudos to Canon for the 1dx3 and the R5 (hopefully). Seems like the sleeping giant id waking up.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
I’m curious where they will go with the lens. I want more AF cine lenses but it seems odd to come out with an EF one at this point when RF is the way forward. As someone mentioned their first two AF cine lenses left a lot to be desired. Canon please give me a 19-90 (or similar)T2.9 (constant) AF S35 proper cine lens that I can do AF or proper Cine focus, and I’d be even more interested in this camera for certain projects. That said kudos to Canon for the 1dx3 and the R5 (hopefully). Seems like the sleeping giant id waking up.

That lens sorta already exists: the Canon 17-120. From 17-91 it’s a constant T2.95 and has a built-in servos for focus, iris and zoom. All you have to do is engage the focus servo while it’s on a camera(like the 300/II) that has DPAF and have that turned on. I have a client with a couple 300/II’s and I’ve had my 17-120 on them and just for fun and curiosity I turned it on. It’s kind of crazy to see a focus barrel that large spinning around on its own without something like a typical external FIZ motor attached.

Upvote 0
RunAdGun thanks! I had no idea. Ive used that lens once. I like the range but felt like the fuji 19-90 was much better optically. I guess I want a cross between the 17-120 Lens and the 18-80 cine AF from canon. That lens is a deal breaker because its 4.4 and has no hard stops for focus. But I love that it has IS. Canon, please give us 2.8 version with hard stops maybe go 18-90. "ultra 35" coverage would be nice too, and let it play nicely with other brands of cameras. I wonder if canon will make a full frame zoom to go with the C500II? Also will there be a C700 successor? Something to really take on the high end of Arri and Red? I'd like to see that( but with a smaller form factor similar to a mini or RED).

Upvote 0