Post Your Best Landscapes

Thanks Click and Jack!

The route I followed was quite long (17km) but very enjoyable thanks to the perfect combo of sun and a cooling breeze. The best thing was that although Arran as a whole was mobbed (bank holiday coinciding with whisky and cycling festival), the less popular routes like this were almost deserted. I was out for 9 hours and only met two other walkers!

Jack Douglas said:
Click said:
Very nice shots, GammyKnee. :)

+1 and the hike must be spectacular!

Jack

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
GammyKnee said:
Thanks Click and Jack!

The route I followed was quite long (17km) but very enjoyable thanks to the perfect combo of sun and a cooling breeze. The best thing was that although Arran as a whole was mobbed (bank holiday coinciding with whisky and cycling festival), the less popular routes like this were almost deserted. I was out for 9 hours and only met two other walkers!

Jack Douglas said:
Click said:
Very nice shots, GammyKnee. :)

+1 and the hike must be spectacular!

Jack

17km! really does beg the question, how's the knee? :eek:

This is on my doorstep and I've never been I should be ashamed

Upvote 0
I'm very happy to report that both my knees made it through the whole thing without even a grumble :)

I made a small change to how I was doing leg extensions at the gym a while back and they've been great ever since. It just goes to show: if you find the right corrective exercise you can shift even very longstanding problems.

Definitely do this walk when you have a chance though! The Arran hills are as good as any in Scotland!

zim said:

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
GammyKnee said:
I'm very happy to report that both my knees made it through the whole thing without even a grumble :)

I made a small change to how I was doing leg extensions at the gym a while back and they've been great ever since. It just goes to show: if you find the right corrective exercise you can shift even very longstanding problems.

Definitely do this walk when you have a chance though! The Arran hills are as good as any in Scotland!

zim said:

My son graduates next spring and My wife and I planning to go over to London England for that and the three of us would travel around. Where I have no idea but my father was born in Yorkshire so we'd definitely head north. He threatened that I should never rent a car due to left side driving (not sure why he didn't offer to drive - a sissy I guess) so not sure what is feasible relative to getting up to Scotland. Any thoughts.

Jack

Upvote 0
Small world - I grew up in West Yorkshire! Moved to Scotland for uni and never went back.

There's no way I'd drive all that way from London; maybe 30 years ago when roads were less congested and in better shape. Far better to get the train or fly to the region you're interested in, then rent a vehicle to get about more easily, and just try to steer clear of morning and evening rush hour traffic. For the west of and north of Scotland, mid to late May nearly always has the most consistently good weather.

Jack Douglas said:
My son graduates next spring and My wife and I planning to go over to London England for that and the three of us would travel around. Where I have no idea but my father was born in Yorkshire so we'd definitely head north. He threatened that I should never rent a car due to left side driving (not sure why he didn't offer to drive - a sissy I guess) so not sure what is feasible relative to getting up to Scotland. Any thoughts.

Jack

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
GammyKnee said:
Small world - I grew up in West Yorkshire! Moved to Scotland for uni and never went back.

There's no way I'd drive all that way from London; maybe 30 years ago when roads were less congested and in better shape. Far better to get the train or fly to the region you're interested in, then rent a vehicle to get about more easily, and just try to steer clear of morning and evening rush hour traffic. For the west of and north of Scotland, mid to late May nearly always has the most consistently good weather.

Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Not to mention the lack of wee bastards (midges) before June !

Lovely images of Arron, I must get onto the island some time instead of sailing round it.

I second what Paul has said, driving up from London (and back) is a dreadful slog with the UK traffic being what it is now.

Regarding renting a right hand drive car I'd say that from my experience driving a car with the "correct" side for the countries roads actually makes the change over much easier because there's a natural reversal of everything.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Sporgon, Jack.
Hmm the wee bastards, I swear there were so many of them in the little stream valley (12ft wide) at the farm in Cumbria where we used to stay that you could nearly walk across the valley on them, and the noise, deafening high pitch eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :)

The drive up country, I’ve done Southampton to Penrith many times, is in my opinion not a bad drive, but if you are already travelling light (we take tons of stuff with us, much camera gear!) a flight or train will be easier for sure, plus I cannot speak to the traffic from Carlisle north!

Driving with the wheel on the ‘correct’ side, absolutely agree, having driven my own cars around Europe (as opposed to Britain) and a rental in the US I can confirm it felt much more natural and less of a chore. Definitely do rent a car if you want to explore, many of the great places are well off the public transport grid and taxis seem to be very expensive here.
Jack, should you decide to come south as well, do pop over to the Isle of Wight and it would be my privilege to give you the guided tour. :)

Cheers, Graham.

Sporgon said:
I second what Paul has said, driving up from London (and back) is a dreadful slog with the UK traffic being what it is now.

Regarding renting a right hand drive car I'd say that from my experience driving a car with the "correct" side for the countries roads actually makes the change over much easier because there's a natural reversal of everything.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks guys. My daughter rented a car and drove in Yorkshire, the dales, Grinton area birthplace etc. and seeing the photos it looked very much like a car would be needed for that countryside. It makes sense what you're suggesting. This trip is one reason I'm watching the mirrorless developments since I'd probably have my little 24-70 F4 and the 11-24 only to stay as light as possible.

Fill me in on the joke. ???

Jack

Upvote 0
Just a thought I'd throw in - since I'm so fond of our own campervan - you could rent a small camper for your touring adventures. Most of them have automatic transmission, and all give you a bit more flexibility to target the extremes of the day for the better light, not to mention the ability to have a cuppa any time you want :)

Totally agree about the $%^£ing midges. I hate them but they absolutely love me. Haven't found anything better than 3M Ultrathon, though "Smidge" is OK if they're not too hungry.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I took this to be a joke?? "Hmm the wee bastards, I swear there were so many of them in the little stream valley (12ft wide) at the farm in Cumbria where we used to stay that you could nearly walk across the valley on them, and the noise, deafening high pitch eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

But I don't get it! :( :)

Jack

Upvote 0
Here's two shots from a short trip I did out to Lake Louise and Banff National Park about a week ago. The ice covering on Lake Louise is melting fast, and apparently is already completely gone on Moraine Lake (which I didn't get to on this trip, unfortunately).

Sadly, a body was pulled from Lake Louise just over a week ago. It casts a bit of a shadow on such a beautiful area. I haven't heard whether the death was suspicious, or just a tourist that fell in and couldn't get out. Tourists do silly things there all the time, though -- a few weeks back a tourist that had just arrived saw a duck land in the lake, and then decided to wade through the still very icy water to get a better photo of it. People be crazy...

The second shot is from the top of Sulphur Mountain. It's an expensive gondola ride to the top, but worth it. One can also hike it and take the gondola down too if you want to spend an afternoon doing so. The view from the top is stunning, with six mountain ranges all visible. I was hoping to do some long exposures, but it was just too windy to get the Lee's out.

Both shots were taken with the 5DsR and 24-70 f/2.8 II.

Attachments

• Lake Louise.jpg
    Lake Louise.jpg
    889.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Banff National Park.jpg
    Banff National Park.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Jack Douglas said:
I took this to be a joke?? "Hmm the wee bastards, I swear there were so many of them in the little stream valley (12ft wide) at the farm in Cumbria where we used to stay that you could nearly walk across the valley on them, and the noise, deafening high pitch eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

But I don't get it! :( :)

Jack

You might not get it/them, but they might get you ... and I think you'll find that would be no joke :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midge

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
WOW, that's no joke. Now I'm scared to come - but could they be worse than the swarms of mosquitoes we have here!? Is there repellent that works?
:eek:

R1-7D V nice. Prefer the first but I know what you mean having been similarly above Jasper. To be within a few hours driving distance of both is super and always a welcomed visit but I still prefer venturing more deeply into BC.

Jack

Upvote 0