Post your best portraits(street, studio, candid etc...).

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Happy New Year to all.

Portraits are not really my thing but I captured this moment semi candidly, he knew I was taking shots but he was talking to a friend at the time, cropped to remove 2nd person and processed with my limited knowledge of right vs wrong! :)
I’d appreciate constructive criticism of the processing please, the pose etc were outside my control and the crop is as big as I could make it, his friends hand on a post dictated the right hand edge (had to leave a bit of the hand to make some space) and it was only during processing that it occurred to make it a portrait shot rather than just the family style documentary shot it started as.
Should I have taken some headroom to get the whole of the hands in?
Should I have used an unconstrained aspect ratio to retain the hands and headroom?
Taken at the Goodwood Revival, natural light, no opportunity for big setup and I wasn’t carrying a flash.

SE0A6168_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.
Happy New Year to all.

Portraits are not really my thing but I captured this moment semi candidly, he knew I was taking shots but he was talking to a friend at the time, cropped to remove 2nd person and processed with my limited knowledge of right vs wrong! :)
I’d appreciate constructive criticism of the processing please, the pose etc were outside my control and the crop is as big as I could make it, his friends hand on a post dictated the right hand edge (had to leave a bit of the hand to make some space) and it was only during processing that it occurred to make it a portrait shot rather than just the family style documentary shot it started as.
Should I have taken some headroom to get the whole of the hands in?
Should I have used an unconstrained aspect ratio to retain the hands and headroom?
Taken at the Goodwood Revival, natural light, no opportunity for big setup and I wasn’t carrying a flash.

SE0A6168_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Cheers, Graham.

If you crop out the shadow on the jacket, you could get more space to the right of the face. His right shoulder could be cropped right half in two with you ending up with an even more powerful portrait.

Upvote 0