Post your Panoramics!

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Last of the sunlight shines on Bubwith church in East Yorkshire, England. An ancient one even by English standards, built around 1150 AD.

A four frame panoramic, shot on a 5DII + 40mm pancake + studio Manfrotto 058. ISO 100, f/8. Equivalent to shooting at around 18mm on a single frame.

Attachments

• Bubwith Church.png
    Bubwith Church.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 237
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I'm not much of a panorama shooter but here is one from Lake Atitlán in Guatemala. Two shots with the 100mm L Macro to give me a 9,000 x 3599 px file.

I must be honest, after using the 35 f2 IS as a walk around lens and seeing the results I am getting with very casual handheld stitches I am pretty convinced I don't want a 5DSR.

P.S. Sporgon, I can't believe the amount you carry that 058 around, I hope you put wheels on it!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 215
Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
privatebydesign said:
I'm not much of a panorama shooter but here is one from Lake Atitlán in Guatemala. Two shots with the 100mm L Macro to give me a 9,000 x 3599 px file.

I must be honest, after using the 35 f2 IS as a walk around lens and seeing the results I am getting with very casual handheld stitches I am pretty convinced I don't want a 5DSR.

P.S. Sporgon, I can't believe the amount you carry that 058 around, I hope you put wheels on it!

Casual freehand shooting for stitching does produce superb results, much more so than if we were casually shooting with a camera who's real format was equal to what we are creating. This most be something to do with the 'arc of movement' when hand holding; with a genuine large format that arc is much greater at the extremes of the sensor, whereas by replicating that sensor in individual segments the arc is much less.

For my shot of the church I needed each pixel clearly defined, hence the 058, which has to go on my shoulder ! You'll no doubt be able to guess why I needed that degree of sharpness for that shot ;)

From my point of view the biggest problem for the 5Ds and the like is the latest software coupled with a modern computer. It is so easy to stitch well now, and deal with so many of the past issues such as ghosting and water etc. Same thing goes for printing really big. And when printing large really matters you can't beat the larger format to start with anyway.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Sporgon said:
Last of the sunlight shines on Bubwith church in East Yorkshire, England. An ancient one even by English standards, built around 1150 AD.

A four frame panoramic, shot on a 5DII + 40mm pancake + studio Manfrotto 058. ISO 100, f/8. Equivalent to shooting at around 18mm on a single frame.

I really like this shot. Lovely light.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Click said:
Sporgon said:

I really like this shot. Lovely light.

Many thanks !

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Sporgon said:

Nice picture! very nice light.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Don Haines said:
Sporgon said:

Nice picture! very nice light.

Thanks Don. It turned into a beautiful, smoky evening just as got there. Depths of winter; it was only 3.25 pm !

zim said:
'Beyond the Rest'
8 frame portrait stitch pano 7D + 40mm pancake

The 40 pancake is great for panoramics, and on a crop camera gives an ideal field of view ! Nice shot.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
'The smertest boat in the tred'
8 frame portrait stitch pano, 2 rows of 4, 7D + 40mm pancake

Bit of a different pano
I'm sure this could be taken with the correct lens on a single shot but I love the print resolution you get with a stitch, although it doesn't show on web posts. Maybe I should get a 5Ds and a 16-35L! ;DD

Edit: I have no idea why this looks so low resolution, there is so much detail in the original :-\

Attachments

• IMG_5232-Panorama_wb(1).jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 322
Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
zim said:

Bit of a different pano
I'm sure this could be taken with the correct lens on a single shot but I love the print resolution you get with a stitch, although it doesn't show on web posts. Maybe I should get a 5Ds and a 16-35L! ;DD

Edit: I have no idea why this looks so low resolution, there is so much detail in the original :-\

How funny that you should post that picture. I've just finished another pano shot with the 40 mm pancake, and look at the name of the boat ! The 40 mm is definitely a 'vital spark' of lenses !

Attachments

• Alde Yachts.png
    Alde Yachts.png
    565.1 KB · Views: 233
  • Alde Yachts crop.png
    Alde Yachts crop.png
    247.6 KB · Views: 556
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Sporgon said:
zim said:

Bit of a different pano

How funny that you should post that picture. I've just finished another pano shot with the 40 mm pancake, and look at the name of the boat ! The 40 mm is definitely a 'vital spark' of lenses !

;D

Lovely colours, looks such a tranquil scene

Tales of Para Handy one of my favourite books, Munro's wit is so gentle almost innocent but a great comment on a West of Scotland life gone by, so funny.

Upvote 0