Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

May 20, 2013
£4199 for the R5 in the UK (£600 more than the release price of the of 5D IV), and as a pro landscape photographer what would I gain for that ? I use a tripod so 8 stops IS is no advantage, I shoot stills so 8k isn't either, I wait for the moment so 1 FPS is enough, the megapixel jump isn't big enough to make a significant difference to the images I produce, smaller, lighter and presumably less robust are all disadvantages in my book. Unless there is a massive jump in DR, the only significant advantage I'm seeing here for my type of work is the ability to view what you have just captured in-camera, and that comes at the expense of an optical viewfinder. To tempt me into mirrorless you are going to have to produce a cheaper camera where I'm not paying for a feature I'm not going to use Canon. Fingers crossed there is a R5L that more suited to the landscapes amongst us.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
£4199 for the R5 in the UK (£600 more than the release price of the of 5D IV), and as a pro landscape photographer what would I gain for that ? I use a tripod so 8 stops IS is no advantage, I shoot stills so 8k isn't either, I wait for the moment so 1 FPS is enough, the megapixel jump isn't big enough to make a significant difference to the images I produce, smaller, lighter and presumably less robust are all disadvantages in my book. Unless there is a massive jump in DR, the only significant advantage I'm seeing here for my type of work is the ability to view what you have just captured in-camera, and that comes at the expense of an optical viewfinder. To tempt me into mirrorless you are going to have to produce a cheaper camera where I'm not paying for a feature I'm not going to use Canon. Fingers crossed there is a R5L that more suited to the landscapes amongst us.
Sorry, but we’re past talking about price and are now in the when will it be here phase.

And don’t look for Canon or anyone else to build a model for every niche.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

This is my take also. Love my 5d Mark IV, and I’d love to go mirrorless with higher resolution. But I’ll never use the video features, which is a huge part of the cost. Exciting camera all the same...

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
If I were you, I'd be happy. DSLRs work for you. No temptation at all to blow the budget by buying these new toys. You can wait until your current cameras wears out--or Canon produces its 75MP body--before transitioning to mirrorless.

Be happy!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

pmjm

R5, 1DX Mk II, 5D Mk IV, four 90D's
Sep 8, 2016
Instant R5 pre-order for me. I still have some unanswered questions though... This WILL work with the EF-RF mount converter, right? I'm sitting on $25K of EF glass and not being able to use that would be a dealbreaker. Can I use my LP-E6 batteries and AC-faux-battery-plug in this thing? What kind of bitrates are the various codecs in 8K and 4K? Can it film 8K to a UHS-II SD card or must you use CFexpress?

Preordered on blind faith right now (yes I'm foolish but Canon has never let me down TOO badly, hehe), hopefully reviewers will post details like this before my preorder ships so I can catch any dealbreaking issues before it's too late.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Instant R5 pre-order for me. I still have some unanswered questions though... This WILL work with the EF-RF mount converter, right? I'm sitting on $25K of EF glass and not being able to use that would be a dealbreaker. Can I use my LP-E6 batteries and AC-faux-battery-plug in this thing? What kind of bitrates are the various codecs in 8K and 4K? Can it film 8K to a UHS-II SD card or must you use CFexpress?

Preordered on blind faith right now (yes I'm foolish but Canon has never let me down TOO badly, hehe), hopefully reviewers will post details like this before my preorder ships so I can catch any dealbreaking issues before it's too late.
Most of the answers are available.
Adapter will work.
Old batteries will work.
Up to 10 bit 4:2:2 for video
I suspect the 8K will need to go on CFExpress

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

pmjm

R5, 1DX Mk II, 5D Mk IV, four 90D's
Sep 8, 2016
Most of the answers are available.
Adapter will work.
Old batteries will work.
Up to 10 bit 4:2:2 for video
I suspect the 8K will need to go on CFExpress

Thanks for all that! Regarding the codecs... What I'm really looking for is bitrate information for RAW, All-I and APB. Hopefully it's not still using MJPEG like the 1DX2 and 5D4. The 90D does 4K in 120 Mbps which was a bit low for my tastes. H.264? H.265 (hopefully this is an option because it's amazing using it on the newer Fujifilms)?

Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
So, what is that major new feature of the R5 that was rumored a few dsys ago? Guess was it could be high-res mode with sensor shift. But that is not the case.
Was just a rumor it seems.
Anyway, an amazing camera!
I'm guessing it was the 8 stops of IS...4 second hand-held stills. I think that rumor had been out there but it was incredible to see.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Thanks for all that! Regarding the codecs... What I'm really looking for is bitrate information for RAW, All-I and APB. Hopefully it's not still using MJPEG like the 1DX2 and 5D4. The 90D does 4K in 120 Mbps which was a bit low for my tastes. H.264? H.265 (hopefully this is an option because it's amazing using it on the newer Fujifilms)?
It's H.265 and RAW

Upvote 0