Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Instant R5 pre-order for me. I still have some unanswered questions though... This WILL work with the EF-RF mount converter, right? I'm sitting on $25K of EF glass and not being able to use that would be a dealbreaker. Can I use my LP-E6 batteries and AC-faux-battery-plug in this thing? What kind of bitrates are the various codecs in 8K and 4K? Can it film 8K to a UHS-II SD card or must you use CFexpress?

Preordered on blind faith right now (yes I'm foolish but Canon has never let me down TOO badly, hehe), hopefully reviewers will post details like this before my preorder ships so I can catch any dealbreaking issues before it's too late.
Relax. Yes, your EF lenses will work with the EF-RF adapter. I don’t know the answers to the rest of your questions. I ordered two spare batteries with my R5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Jared Polin seems to have gotten a hold of full spec sheets for these cameras. There is still a recording limit, the R5 seems to have both a recording limit as well as a temperature recording limit to prevent overheating in certain video modes, and I can't find out if the video will record to both cards in the R6. I guess Panasonic was on to something when they added a cooling fan to their S1H.

I think I'll sit out the pre-order phase and wait until they are readily available to decide if the R6 will replace my GH5.

There were some interesting tidbits from the official Canon event such as the fact that the R6 is using a 1DXIII sensor variant and that the R6 is the low light monster of the series just like I said it would be due to its 20MP sensor. I will probably end up getting the R6 at some point, but the recording limit and not knowing if it will record video to both cards are two features that are important to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I had a bunch of trade credit I wanted to use so I had to wait until 10am ET to get my order in.... hoping I didn’t burn myself on having to wait for the next batch
Unemployment in the US is higher than it's ever been since the great depression. I think the number of people ready to drop 4 grand on a camera is a little lower than it would normally be right now.

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Hi, when I order the R5 camera body only, the EF/R lens adapter is NOT included correct? I think this is wired since with the R camera I think ? the adapter is coming as deafult.
Also what is the difference betwen the standard adapter and the one with the control ring mount in? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1433718-REG/canon_mount_adapter_ef_rf_with.html

Thanks in advance.
Andrea

Precisely that...one adapter has no control ring--it's essentially an extension tube--and the other one does have a control ring on it, so your EF lenses will essentially now have the control ring that many RF lenses come with. In the US the former is priced at $100 and the latter at $200.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Unemployment in the US is higher than it's ever been since the great depression. I think the number of people ready to drop 4 grand on a camera is a little lower than it would normally be right now.

i think that under appreciates the people who regularly have $4,000 of discretionary spending, income inequality, and the ‘normal’ market for $4,000 cameras. I think if you drew a Venn diagram the overlap would be shockingly small.

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
It's about the same as in 1982 and 2009, and rocketing back to normal. 90% of those who want jobs have them, and the ones out of work are mostly service/hospitality/retail workers and not buyers of $4000 camera bodies.

But I agree, literally, the number might be a LITTLE lower. But not enough to matter to Canon for pricing purposes.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Probably might be some limitation due to the way sensor might behave with electronic shutter. Overall R6 is 1Dx MK3 for masses, I dont recall any Canon camera with such massive buffer..

I think it implies e-shutter is 12-bit and HDR-PQ refuses to do 12->10 conversions. Still, I plan to shoot RAW only, so it won't impact me.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
It's about the same as in 1982 and 2009, and rocketing back to normal. 90% of those who want jobs have them, and the ones out of work are mostly service/hospitality/retail workers and not buyers of $4000 camera bodies.

But I agree, literally, the number might be a LITTLE lower. But not enough to matter to Canon for pricing purposes.

I think even if it did matter to Canon they simply could not go any lower. I can't even begin to imagine the cost of R&D, marketing, product development, patents, etc. that it takes to bring a normal camera to the market; let alone cameras like these.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
i think that under appreciates the people who regularly have $4,000 of discretionary spending, income inequality, and the ‘normal’ market for $4,000 cameras. I think if you drew a Venn diagram the overlap would be shockingly small.
I would be shocked if there weren't at least some professionals that might have otherwise bought this new camera, but facing a dry spell of work, are deciding to hold off on new equipment purchases.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016

It's not rocketing back to normal, it rocketed back from obscene levels to a level still above the great recession, because we went from a completely shuttered country to just one with very slow business. And another 1.3 million people just filed for first time unemployment claims this week. The gains we saw in unemployment the last couple of months were a dead cat bounce. It's not hard to improve when you're starting from an abysmal level.

It's true the ones out of work are not the ones buying $4000 cameras. But they may be the ones hiring photographers for various shoots. And if that business is drying up, pros are going to think twice about a new camera.

And anyway, I didn't say anything about it affecting Canon's pricing. They need to price it at what they need to price it at to recoup R&D, materials, and make a profit. It's just that I suspect launch sales of this camera will be a little softer than most big launches.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I would be shocked if there weren't at least some professionals that might have otherwise bought this new camera, but facing a dry spell of work, are deciding to hold off on new equipment purchases.
I wouldn’t necessarily disagree but I would also like to see a Venn diagram of ’professional’ user vs amateur user historical purchasing.

Upvote 0

subtraho

Birds and Macro
CR Pro
Nov 20, 2018
Maryland
twitter.com
Speaking as an R owner, there had better be focus stacking on the R5/6 lol

EDIT: Canon seems to have some kind of referrer blocking enabled, the link is here, under “Resources”, “EOS R5 Improvements”:

Both have it, see here, #58.

Pretty interesting document, it’s a reasonably detailed compilation of all the updates between the R and R5/6.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I wouldn’t necessarily disagree but I would also like to see a Venn diagram of ’professional’ user vs amateur user historical purchasing.
That would be interesting to see how many pros buy these cameras as tools, vs how many rich folks buy them as toys.

But, suffice it to say I doubt Canon would run an entire division of their company just building toys for rich folks. Then again I guess any number of exotic car makers do it. :unsure:

Upvote 0