Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
The Canon RP is available for $1000-$1100 US. Capable, full-frame, RF camera. With the EF-RF adapter, there are many inexpensive options for lenses. I use the sigma 14-24/2.8, with filter adapter, and it's brilliant. You might want to search more.

The EOS RP is currently $999 at all authorized US retailers. For the last few weeks it was $899 with an "instant" factory rebate.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I was big SanDisk guy but had good success with the Lexar 2000x cards in my EOS R.

I added a Sony "Tough" card recently but that was just shipped back to Sony due to the recall so I am going to avoid those cards as an option for now.

I am looking at the ProGrade CFexpress cards as well as SanDisk.

Need to do a lot more research before I drop the cash on 2 cards.

True, especially on the new formats it's better to stay with known brands. For CF I prefer Lexar over SanDisk.

ProGrade is the continuation of Lexar.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
That is my point. If the preorders are really high and meet unit allocation then surely they don’t need to offer incentives to drive sales.

What, you want them to hold the jackets with R5 logos until the EOS R Mark II sales are a bit sluggish in a couple of years and offer an "R5" jacket if they order an EOS R Mark II?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
You guys in the USA & Canada, get all the great offers, free CF express cards, jackets, price guarantees, etc. Here in the UK we get to pay more @ £4199 for the R5 but can claim a free EF EOSR adapter, when the canon site works. Makes even less sense when my trade in includes the adapter but they will give me a new one with the new camera. Couldn't make this up.:ROFLMAO:

You also get a warranty that we have to pay about $500+tax extra to get.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It could possibly be the case. However, I wonder why they are doing so? If both R5 & R6 are that good (I believe they are) and the RRP in Canada is in line with expectations then people would jump on the preorder like in USA without needing any incentives.

It's called "marketing."

"Order now and get this "limited edition" jacket that will forever distinguish you as one of the earliest adopters of the new EOS R5!"

• Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I was sure there would have been some sort of incentive here in the UK for early pre-ordering but no such look. :(

Didn’t the EOS R get a free grip?

A discounted CFexpress card would have been a nice gesture but I suppose they think demand will be through the roof for the R5/R6 even during these choppy economic conditions so they’ve not bothered.

Wasn't the free grip several months later after sales slowed on the EOS R. I'm sure once sales slow on the R5, there will be similar promotions at that time.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
I’d actually prefer an adult conversation with you that has nothing to do with saving anyone’s reputation or dignity.

Unless I’m wrong, sales of higher end cameras are not as strong today as they were 20 years ago and I am suggesting that while that could be attributed to many things, smart phones and £4000 cameras along with £3000 lenses doesn’t help.

OK, then you're still wrong. It's a commonly overstated stat. DSLR (or equivalent - your chosen acronym for mirrorless cameras) sales have dipped slightly, but in comparison to the largest part of the camera market, which was fixed lens cameras, remained relatively stable. Source here: https://www.statista.com/chart/5782/digital-camera-shipments/

And for the third time, people were paying £4000 for bodies and £3000 for lenses twenty years ago. Given inflation, that's just not a valid reason for why. I'd agree that there's a sliver of the DSLR market who went off with their iphones happily, which might account for a slight dip, but nowhere near the level you've suggested.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
OK, then you're still wrong. It's a commonly overstated stat. DSLR (or equivalent - your chosen acronym for mirrorless cameras) sales have dipped slightly, but in comparison to the largest part of the camera market, which was fixed lens cameras, remained relatively stable. Source here: https://www.statista.com/chart/5782/digital-camera-shipments/

And for the third time, people were paying £4000 for bodies and £3000 for lenses twenty years ago. Given inflation, that's just not a valid reason for why. I'd agree that there's a sliver of the DSLR market who went off with their iphones happily, which might account for a slight dip, but nowhere near the level you've suggested.
Hi, just interested and don't want to interrupt your riveting discussion but what sort of camera bodies cost £4000 or £3000 20 years ago? I can only think of maybe 1 dx series or a Hasselblad which I may be wrong but I don't think they are classed as mainstream so probably wouldn't form a majority of the market?

I don't have an opinion on either side of your conversation but just interested that's all?

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
What, you want them to hold the jackets with R5 logos until the EOS R Mark II sales are a bit sluggish in a couple of years and offer an "R5" jacket if they order an EOS R Mark II?

My point is they wouldn’t need to throw in incentives such as the jacket if the RRP is inline within the price point of the 5D line.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Why would they need to make the jacket in the first place? Unless they knew the RRP will be above people’s expectation?
Ooh, love a good discussion. I bet from previous sales figures, some smart Alec in Marketing thought they should offer that particular market a treat to entice the children into the shop and once they are in, ha, they're trapped forever. A bit like the child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Lol, I've just read this back and now not sure if it's politically correct. oh well, never mind.

On a side note, I'm not sure I'd want to wear a jacket with Canon EOS R5 plastered all over it. Maybe if it was very good quality and the branding was discrete I'd consider it. and by discrete, I mean very small.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Ooh, love a good discussion. I bet from previous sales figures, some smart Alec in Marketing thought they should offer that particular market a treat to entice the children into the shop and once they are in, ha, they're trapped forever. A bit like the child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Lol, I've just read this back and now not sure if it's politically correct. oh well, never mind.

On a side note, I'm not sure I'd want to wear a jacket with Canon EOS R5 plastered all over it. Maybe if it was very good quality and the branding was discrete I'd consider it. and by discrete, I mean very small.

I certainly won’t give them free promotion by wearing the R5 jacket if I have one. I never use their camera straps.

The RRP for the R5 in Australia is A$7099. Some local retailers already dropped it to around A$6500, and includes a lucky strap and battery.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0