Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Although I am not likely to use 8K video underwater (4k60 maybe), I wonder about the heating issue when in an underwater housing that is a partial vacuum (I generally pump out about 6-7bar). The water is generally coldish but with no thermal air to conduct... Will be interesting to try. Even if we get to that thermal point, can we still use it for stills?

Interesting point! I'm curious about this as well and hope that you share here, at CR, your experiences, whenever possible.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Wim Ary at wimary.com goes through all the settings on menu on the back of the R5 with suggestions for the settings and shows that the Focus Bracketing Option is listed at the bottom at # 5 on the Camera Icon (the 7th one down). He discusses the options but I've never used focus stacking. You might go to his web site and check it out under the Tips and Tricks section for the R5
Catherine
Can you be more specific on the spelling to get to Wim Ary, please? I can't find it on the web as you mentioned.

Upvote 0
We still don't have a list of qualified CFexpress cards for the R5 yet. From the 1DXiii list... only the 512GB Sandisk is qualified.

I can't remember which video I was watching, but I remember them saying the 512 was the only one approved for the R5, too. Wondering if they had access to the R5 qualified cards list or if they were just going off the 1DX3 list.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
I can't remember which video I was watching, but I remember them saying the 512 was the only one approved for the R5, too. Wondering if they had access to the R5 qualified cards list or if they were just going off the 1DX3 list.

I wonder what happens with those non-approved? Does it say "too slow, will not record", or does it get some frame drops or artifacts on the video?

I have couple off-brand (supposedly fast) CFexpress cards already, wondering if I should use them with R5 and how to test to make sure they don't fail when it matters.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
That is my point. If the preorders are really high and meet unit allocation then surely they don’t need to offer incentives to drive sales.
What incentives?

Price Guarantee = We aren't going to lower the price of the R5 until at least 2021, so we are offering you a guarantee that we won't do something that we aren't going to do.

Free Jacket = We are giving you this jacket with our name on it, so that you can give us free advertising whenever you wear it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm a wedding videographer and despite the apparent overheating issues, have put in for a preorder. Now while I obviously haven't tested the camera and can't know this for sure, I've already budgeted for ways to mitigate the heat issue. I've already got an atomos ninja v which I plan on using majority of the time, and when only recording to the SSD and not internally, the atomos will be doing all the heavy lifting with the processing. This also unlocks unlimited recording time. I'll also be using the battery grip so that the battery heat is removed from the body. These methods have been successful overheating solutions for all the former sony overheating issues and I expect them to work on R5/R6 as well. It also means I get some sweet downsampled 10 bit 422 prores files to work with :D

The 4k 120 is a big perk, and I plan on using this in short bursts during location shots. Outside of that, all recording will be done externally :)

Some will ask why I don't just spend the same amount on c200 or similar. Main reasoning is I also do landscape photography and sell some prints, so I'd probably be buying this anyway.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Hmm. Given atmospheric pressure is just about 1,013 mbar or 1.013 bar (at standard temperature and pressure), it seems to me you're describing an impossibility here. Did you mean mbar perchance?
Good point! The manual vacuum pump is not meant to be an accurate measure but I did misread it. It would be 7" Hg or 0.23Bar.
Ikelite Vacuum Pump
I will correct my post

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
What incentives?

Price Guarantee = We aren't going to lower the price of the R5 until at least 2021, so we are offering you a guarantee that we won't do something that we aren't going to do.

Free Jacket = We are giving you this jacket with our name on it, so that you can give us free advertising whenever you wear it.

I referred to the Australian market. the RRP is A$1000 higher than USA and that includes exchange rate and tax.

Some local stores already dropped more than A$500 on their websites.

The incentive include free battery, limited strap (who care). I think some local stores also include a Sandisk Extreme Prod SDXC 64GB card.

Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
Not sure if it's been posted, but just noticed the expected availability date for the 100-500mm now reads October 1 on B&H's site. I was hoping for an early September date, but looks like we might not even get it in that month. Guess I'll have to be patient, but a 2 month wait between the R5 and getting the lens I desperately need will be rough :LOL:

Edit: Looks like Amazon has September 30th.

Upvote 0
Main reasoning is I also do landscape photography and sell some prints, so I'd probably be buying this anyway.

Especially considering this statement from Canon through DPR
"Canon says to expect a one-stop increase in DR versus the EOS R"

If that's true, the R5 is on par with A7RIV (as the R is exactly 1 stop behind at the base ISO). Even if it's the same as the R/5DIV, I'm satisfied, but 1 stop better would be tremendous.
The lack of GPS hurts though, especially for landscape photography.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Upvote 0
Curious, other than the obvious what do you use the GPS cords for?

In Lightroom, there's the map that shows locations where I shot my images, which is extremely useful when looking up images by locations, and also find locations by images.
Also useful when posting to social media, although I don't like to always include the exact locations of my images.

The above applies to landscape photography mostly.

I'm hoping the R5 will be able to get GPS from phone through bluetooth, but couldn't find any mention of that anywhere. Even if it works through BT, it's far from ideal.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Newbie question; what is the advantage (if any) of shooting crop mode in photo compared to cropping in post, when using an EF (of RF) lense? I can't seem to find straight answer looking around. I think the EOS-R has the option as well, but given the 45MP of the R5 the remaining crop might still have enough resolution. Let me know.
There are a few reasons to do this, depending on the type of photography you are doing. I use this feature in wildlife photography where I am reach-limited. If I know that I will be cropping to APSC or smaller in post anyway, then some advantages of using the crop mode in camera include :
- the image is magnified in the EVF, which makes it easier to see the subject, and increases confidence that accurate focus has been achieved. It can also be nice to see more accurately what the final composition will look like.
- cropped images take up less space, so more images fit on the same card. When shooting in large bursts, you may be able to take more images before the buffer fills (more of an issue for SD than CFExpress)
- the image that I upload to my computer is smaller. This means that I am not storing a bunch of pixels that I don't need anyway, and makes post-processing faster as the images load faster and I am not spending as much time cropping in post.

Having a high megapixel camera with the ability to crop is great as it is kind of like carrying around both a full frame and APSC camera in one. But all those megapixels add up and need to be stored somewhere. If you are 100% confident that you won't need them later, sometimes it makes sense to skip capturing then in the first place.

Additional note: I find it is helpful to add a shortcut to change this feature quickly. Sometimes your subject might come closer suddenly and then they may no longer fit nicely in the cropped frame.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
In Lightroom, there's the map that shows locations where I shot my images, which is extremely useful when looking up images by locations, and also find locations by images.
Also useful when posting to social media, although I don't like to always include the exact locations of my images.

The above applies to landscape photography mostly.

I'm hoping the R5 will be able to get GPS from phone through bluetooth, but couldn't find any mention of that anywhere. Even if it works through BT, it's far from ideal.
Thanks I see the Map for my Drone shots in LR, was just curious of there was other uses.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Not sure if it's been posted, but just noticed the expected availability date for the 100-500mm now reads October 1 on B&H's site. I was hoping for an early September date, but looks like we might not even get it in that month. Guess I'll have to be patient, but a 2 month wait between the R5 and getting the lens I desperately need will be rough :LOL:

Edit: Looks like Amazon has September 30th.

In the meantime you can get an extra body cap, punch a small hole in it, and pretend it's one of the new f/11 long lenses. :ROFLMAO: :LOL::p

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Can you be more specific on the spelling to get to Wim Ary, please? I can't find it on the web as you mentioned.
I believe that this is the link the original poster was referring to (last name was missing the "s":

Upvote 0

Osama

CR Pro
Jul 5, 2020
I'm a wedding videographer and despite the apparent overheating issues, have put in for a preorder. Now while I obviously haven't tested the camera and can't know this for sure, I've already budgeted for ways to mitigate the heat issue. I've already got an atomos ninja v which I plan on using majority of the time, and when only recording to the SSD and not internally, the atomos will be doing all the heavy lifting with the processing. This also unlocks unlimited recording time. I'll also be using the battery grip so that the battery heat is removed from the body. These methods have been successful overheating solutions for all the former sony overheating issues and I expect them to work on R5/R6 as well. It also means I get some sweet downsampled 10 bit 422 prores files to work with :D

The 4k 120 is a big perk, and I plan on using this in short bursts during location shots. Outside of that, all recording will be done externally :)

Some will ask why I don't just spend the same amount on c200 or similar. Main reasoning is I also do landscape photography and sell some prints, so I'd probably be buying this anyway.

Having a Ninja V + 1TB SSD will be cheaper than buying a 1TB CFexpress card. Doubly so, if you already have the Ninja V.

Upvote 0