Pretty bad...

As bad as these pics are, the ones that the "photographer" took at my sister-in-law's wedding were actually worse. Pretty much every shot more or less out of focus, badly incorrect settings (grossly slow shutter speeds, incorrect aperture for situation), blown highlights (e.g., wedding dress one big white blob), harsh on-camera flash with almost black backgrounds and blown subjects, no "composition" to speak of (basically all looked like P&S amateur vacation shots, except not as good), you name it. EXIF data shows the camera was on full-auto the whole time.

When my sister-in-law sent them to me to try to "fix" them I was horrified. I tried my best to post-process some of them to make them marginally usable, but you can't fix OOF or blown highlights. Thankfully I was at the wedding too and took many of the same shots (particularly the group shots) that were otherwise unsalvageable, so she was able to use mine instead in the album.

Ultimately, neither me or my sister-in-law made a big deal out of the awfulness of the pictures, since what is done is done. However, I could tell she was pretty disappointed. There are some pretty poor "pro" photographers out there...

Upvote 0
lholmes549 said:
I have never shot a wedding and never plan to, but I am 100% sure I could take better photos than those shown in the article. Having taken photos at a few formals/dinners in similar conditions it can be challenging but I could have taken better photos on my phone.
Too many people call themselves pro photographers nowadays and they are nowhere near the standard, in terms of final images or the gear required. Taking on someone's wedding is a big step and you have to be sure you're up to it.
Having said that, this story stinks of a couple who have tried to skimp on the cheapest "photographer" without seeing any proof of past work.

well as i mentioned before, are these representative of the whole, or are these JUST the worst? Every photographer in every wedding will get bad shots, it's a thing of certainty... BUT WE DONT SHOW THEM TO THE CLIENT. We show them the lovely exposed and framed and focused images... shoot, my typical wedding with me and my assistant... we have about 1800 images... Once i cull that down to 300-400, then i'm showing my strongest work. so... if these just weren't edited out and most of the other shots before and after these frames look good and these are the few bad ones... oh well, it happens... if the entire thing sucks, then complain.

Upvote 0