Pretty bad...

Mar 25, 2011
Unfortunately, lots of inexperienced photographers put out there shingle and call themselves professional. Some countries actually license photographers, but I doubt if that guarantees anything, just a way of collecting taxes.

I would not touch a wedding except for a relative who would have nothing if it wasn't for me. Since I don't charge relatives, they can't sue.

Upvote 0
WOW!

I don't feel so bad now...and I thought my pictures (like this one of mine) were crappppy, over done, blown out, excrement shots ...

0214_zps12c90dbe.jpg

I wonder what the rest of their shots looked like? Were they all bad?

Maybe the guy was mad at them?

Sad though, that is a one day event, can never truly get that day back.

Peace! 8)

Upvote 0
Well see, anyone who gets paid is a professional photographer, I don't see the issue here, did the photographer claim he's "Ryan Brenizer on a budget"? I bet the uncle Bob at the reception took better shots here though. But is this news worthy? Like is there a breaking news article for every restaurant that claims to serve top-notch food that doesn't appeal to any critic? Although it's probably the couple's fault for not looking carefully into the guy's portfolio, there are cases of people just using stock photos or shots from other photogs to promote themselves and get away with it... until they show their work to their clients, and try to still get paid with the way they write up their contract.

Upvote 0
Wow! now that's bad photography!
Theres not a lot of detail given about the contracts and the photographers previous experience so a lot of things could have happened:
1] The photographer conned the couple by using false examples of previous work
2] The rest of the photographs were pretty good but the couple are trying to get some compensation for the bad ones
3] The couple cheaped out on someone they knew wasn't too hot
4] The couple didn't even bother to look at the photographers portfolio
5] The photographer was struck with temporary blindness for the day but really needed to cash so didn't tell anyone.

The one thing we do know is these photos SUCK.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Sporgon said:
Where was that thread about 'anyone who takes a photograph is a photographer' ? :-\

It's true.... anyone who takes pictures is a photographer.... the point is, are they any good? With no set standard, this is what you get.... There is a wonderful line, "self evaluation is fraught with peril"... we see ourselves as experts... everyone who picks up a camera KNOWS that they are good.... but compared to what?

For example, I take bird pictures and if I compare them to those from the members of my canoe club, I am very obviously a great photographer.... but then compare them to the ones posted on this form and it becomes obvious that I have lots to learn.

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
I really have no comment on this particular case since we don't know all the details and haven't see all the photos that were delivered, etc.

But here's a question for the wedding togs... have you ever shot a wedding and the bride, groom, wedding party, guests were not co-operative and/or wouldn't make time for the shots you normally set up? What was the outcome?

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Upvote 0
Ok, I agree that the posted photos are bad but we have no idea what the rest of the photos look like from the event. At a minimum this photographer is guilty of not properly culling and post processing his/her photos. For instance, the pic with the umbrella has a very good expression on the brides face and the photo would actually be a good one if it were cropped to lose the trash can.

I know photographers willing to shoot a wedding and only post process a small number of photos while handing over the raw or large jpg for ALL of the photos during the day. If that is what happened here then it's pretty ridiculous on the part of the wedding couple because they don't understand how things work. If the photographer handed over all of the day's photos then it's pretty normal if 50% are out of focus, eyes shut, bad expressions, someone stepping into the frame, or need something cropped out. It looks to me like the pictures haven't been processed at all so it leads me to believe this is the case.

Upvote 0
Maui5150 said:
woollybear said:

Looking at the couple, they should be embarrassed. Maybe put down the butter, cake, chips, beer, sweets, and like would have helped too.

The fact thay got that horse in a white tarp and made it look like a dress is an accomplishment though

Are you really serious with your comments?

Upvote 0