Problem with RF white lens coatings?

Canonite

EOS R5
Dec 19, 2013
Unhappy to see some cracks in my white RF-lens foot coating causing small black spots to show underneath. I'm very careful with my lenses and have been very surprised at seeing this. Best guess is that it stems from carrying the lenses in my Black Rapid sling. But that should not cause any noticeable wear and tear. Anyone else noticing this?
After seeing a few large lenses fall to the ground with those straps, I myself would never use one.
Just wondering what lens would you have on that strap with a tripod collar, either the 100-500 or 70-200?

I just bought a Kirk lens plate for the RF70-200 f2.8 and they have added a small support on the plate to match the angle of the foot for better support.
Personally, I would never feel comfortable with a lens hanging from a strap that was not meant to be mounted to a strap... lol

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
After seeing a few large lenses fall to the ground with those straps, I myself would never use one.
Just wondering what lens would you have on that strap with a tripod collar, either the 100-500 or 70-200?

I just bought a Kirk lens plate for the RF70-200 f2.8 and they have added a small support on the plate to match the angle of the foot for better support.
Personally, I would never feel comfortable with a lens hanging from a strap that was not meant to be mounted to a strap... lol
Somewhat OT. Have used Black Rapid straps to move freely and fast with my 300 f/2.8 for years with full confidence. Never heard of them dropping any lens after the very start years ago, after which they reinforced the ring. - And more relevant for this thread no damage to the foot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Are you seeing distinctive wear marks from rubbing? Have you determined where the foot is rubbing against?

"Cracks" might suggest contact with solvents...Do you sometimes use insect repellent? Maybe more hand sanitizer lately? We don't always know for sure what solvents are in products, and, of course, we don't always know which might react with the paint on the feet and lens barrels.

On the other hand, a bad paint job is a possibility. Most Hondas, for example, are fine, but does anybody remember a few years back when a percentage of Civics were losing paint badly on the roof and hood?

Fortunately it is only happening on the detachable foot, correct?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Are you seeing distinctive wear marks from rubbing? Have you determined where the foot is rubbing against?

"Cracks" might suggest contact with solvents...Do you sometimes use insect repellent? Maybe more hand sanitizer lately? We don't always know for sure what solvents are in products, and, of course, we don't always know which might react with the paint on the feet and lens barrels.

On the other hand, a bad paint job is a possibility. Most Hondas, for example, are fine, but does anybody remember a few years back when a percentage of Civics were losing paint badly on the roof and hood?

Fortunately it is only happening on the detachable foot, correct?
Looked through a magnifier and its 100% small cracks. They are symmetrical on both sides of the "bend" so definitely not coming from solvents etc (which I don't use btw). Also pretty sure it must be the strap. My issue is really that none of my (many) other white EF-lenses suffered this. And they got a lot of heavy use with the black rapid. One side is showing a 0,5x0,3mm crack and the other a 0,2x0,1mm crack. Its only the foot so far - but still. That's probably a 200$ replacement item. So not something worth replacing even if you want to sell the lens. :oops:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Somewhat OT. Have used Black Rapid straps to move freely and fast with my 300 f/2.8 for years with full confidence. Never heard of them dropping any lens after the very start years ago, after which they reinforced the ring. - And more relevant for this thread no damage to the foot.
Agreed. I fix both the tripod foot and the base of the camera to the strap using two connectors to spread the load and have a back up if one connector fails.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Looked through a magnifier and its 100% small cracks. They are symmetrical on both sides of the "bend" so definitely not coming from solvents etc (which I don't use btw). Also pretty sure it must be the strap. My issue is really that none of my (many) other white EF-lenses suffered this. And they got a lot of heavy use with the black rapid. One side is showing a 0,5x0,3mm crack and the other a 0,2x0,1mm crack. Its only the foot so far - but still. That's probably a 200$ replacement item. So not something worth replacing even if you want to sell the lens. :oops:
Do you have a lens that can get close enough to make the cracks visible in a picture? If so, please share that picture so that we can have an idea of the issue.

Also, I am lost how a strap can cause cracks in paint. Are you suggesting the foot flexes under load? If so, that should be a whole other concern.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Do you have a lens that can get close enough to make the cracks visible in a picture? If so, please share that picture so that we can have an idea of the issue.

Also, I am lost how a strap can cause cracks in paint. Are you suggesting the foot flexes under load? If so, that should be a whole other concern.
Here are two shots showing each side. I'm stumped at what it can be. I hardly used the foot at all - except for carrying the lens on my strap. As I said I'm very careful with my gear and its not dents from impact (would also be unusual to have that happen equally on two sides of the foot). I've had the foot once on a tripod. But this is slightly out of range for this to be the explanation - and normally that would not leave a scratch on a white EF- lens. Can only imaging its from the strap rubbing against - it would fit that angle, and the strap goes a little on both sides from time to time.

I confess I did think of flex being a possible sinner. But then my brain froze at the thought...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 2 (2).jpg
    2 (2).jpg
    216 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Here are two shots showing each side. I'm stumped at what it can be. I hardly used the foot at all - except for carrying the lens on my strap. As I said I'm very careful with my gear and its not dents from impact (would also be unusual to have that happen equally on two sides of the foot). I've had the foot once on a tripod. But this is slightly out of range for this to be the explanation - and normally that would not leave a scratch on a white EF- lens. Can only imaging its from the strap rubbing against - it would fit that angle, and the strap goes a little on both sides from time to time.

I confess I did think of flex being a possible sinner. But then my brain froze at the thought...
Thanks for the image. I would describe that more as a chip than a crack.

Might come from impact. It was not present when you bought it, right? Do you recall if all of it appeared at once, or if it worsened over time/use?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
We might be having a language problem, but those are not "cracks." They are chips or scrapes from abrasion or minor impact. Just guessing, but you might have had grit on the strap, or more intense, faster rubbing than you realized.

Also even slight contact with a concrete or sandstone edge could scrape paint like this. Preventing scrapes to the bottom of my bodies is one reason I always use a plate.

Or the paint was applied too thinly here. To prevent it from getting worse, maybe wrap with a little gaffer tape. Also you could apply touch-up paint...Appliance paint could work. I'd probably go with the tape.

Can you just leave the foot off when you aren't going to use a tripod? Or are you using the foot as a handle even with a strap?

EDIT: I find this thread interesting because I'm always carrying my 100-500mm by the foot, which has an Arca-Swiss plate, when hiking. I wonder how my sweaty palms will affect the paint in the long run, but the "handle" is so convenient, I don't really care. If I see problems...Gaffer tape!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Thanks for the image. I would describe that more as a chip than a crack.

Might come from impact. It was not present when you bought it, right? Do you recall if all of it appeared at once, or if it worsened over time/use?
Impact is just unlikely with having it symmetrically on two sides. Not sure how it developed, in the beginning I thought it was dirt/smudge But the. I tried to clean it.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
We might be having a language problem, but those are not "cracks." They are chips or scrapes from abrasion or minor impact. Just guessing, but you might have had grit on the strap, or more intense, faster rubbing than you realized.

Also even slight contact with a concrete or sandstone edge could scrape paint like this. Preventing scrapes to the bottom of my bodies is one reason I always use a plate.

Or the paint was applied too thinly here. To prevent it from getting worse, maybe wrap with a little gaffer tape. Also you could apply touch-up paint...Appliance paint could work. I'd probably go with the tape.

Can you just leave the foot off when you aren't going to use a tripod? Or are you using the foot as a handle even with a strap?

EDIT: I find this thread interesting because I'm always carrying my 100-500mm by the foot, which has an Arca-Swiss plate, when hiking. I wonder how my sweaty palms will affect the paint in the long run, but the "handle" is so convenient, I don't really care. If I see problems...Gaffer tape!
If it was grit I would expect it to on the bottom too - but it looks perfect. Agree on the tape. I have actually put some protective tape on the bottom already.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Thanks for your thoughts. Not sure what caused this. But will protect the exposed parts and see if I get more damage to the paint elsewhere. However, no matter what this did not happen with any of my white EF lens feet over many years of similar use. Once the RF big whites come out I have already decided to get protective skins to cover them.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
As others have said, those are chips and most likely from impacts. With a non-gripped camera, that part of the foot is the top ‘leading edge’ when hanging upside-down on a BR strap and thus more likely to bump into something. Consider things like a belt buckle or rivets on jeans, metal rings on a backpack strap when you lift the camera, etc., anything that you could be routinely bumping into.

I’ve never noticed wear like that on feet, but I never attach my BR straps directly to them, I have the BR lug fixed to a Kirk 1” QR clamp with Loctite, and that connects to the RRS plate that’s on my bodies and lens feet (or the RRS replacement foot on my 600/4 II).

Upvote 0