Pronghorns, deer, bison and other ungulates in the wild...

MrFotoFool said:
In my experience (in Arizona) pronghorn are much more skittish than deer.

Interesting. Thanks for your comment. All I can say is that my experiences with deer (primarily mule deer) and pronghorns where I live (south-western Saskatchewan) is as I stated. I admittedly see more pronghorns than deer, but the deer I've seen would never let me get as close to them as I was to the leader of this herd. I was maybe 10-15 metres away. He was standing by the side of the grid road watching over his harem, as it were, and continued to do so for some minutes. I stopped the car and got out to take pictures and he didn't so much as bat an eyelash. I was able to get a few shots and then they all wandered slowly off. I've had even closer encounters with pronghorns.

Upvote 0
Chihuahuan pronghorn (one of three subspecies found in my state of Arizona). These occur in southeast Arizona, while southwest has Sonoran and north-central has American. As I stated earlier they are very skittish and as soon as they saw me walking along the highway (quite a distance away) they started running. This is Highway 82 near Sonoita, Arizona.

5D3 with 100-400 ii (at 400) and 1.4x ii extender (for a total of 560mm).

Attachments

• pronghorn_Chihuahuan A2994.JPG
    pronghorn_Chihuahuan A2994.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 244
Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
A couple of shots from last year, both with the 5D III and 400mm DO II w/1.4x TC.

The first one is slightly cropped, while the second is the full image.

27772678951_915c922d5e_c.jpg

On Flickr

He slowly crossed the trail just 10-12 feet in front of me, while his mom watched from a hill yards away. I didn't want to take a step back, lest I spook him.

30334463653_2c1a953708_c.jpg

On Flickr

Upvote 0