Pronghorns, deer, bison and other ungulates in the wild...

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
A muntjac at the end of my urban garden. It was taken with the 800mm f/11 at 1120mm with the 1.4x, and this is the full frame scaled down. We are lucky that most unusually we have a chalk stream flowing across the back with a small meadow the other side and lots of scrub even though we are in the city. Just wish I had some US and Canadian birds as well! It was the evening light, and just a beam illuminating the face of the muntjac and not the scrub behind.

View attachment 199533
I wish I had some Canadian birds too. It's been a very dry hot summer and all I'm seeing are the most usual birds - downy, chickadee, goldfinch and the odd crow or magpie - hope it's not a trend. And hardly a dragonfly in my all but dried up pond.

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I wish I had some Canadian birds too. It's been a very dry hot summer and all I'm seeing are the most usual birds - downy, chickadee, goldfinch and the odd crow or magpie - hope it's not a trend. And hardly a dragonfly in my all but dried up pond.

Jack
It's terrible here too. Very few insects and even less of the common birds than usual except for the flocks of Blue Tits, Great Tits and Greenfinches on my feeder gorging themselves. Most of those are juveniles.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
It's terrible here too. Very few insects and even less of the common birds than usual except for the flocks of Blue Tits, Great Tits and Greenfinches on my feeder gorging themselves. Most of those are juveniles.
Super, misery loves company. Have you given any thought to mounting an RF teleconverter ahead of an EF one and EF long lens relative to IQ achieved? I'm toying with mounting my RF to EF adapter on the the lathe since I won't use a cheap adapter but... :unsure: :cry:

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Super, misery loves company. Have you given any thought to mounting an RF teleconverter ahead of an EF one and EF long lens relative to IQ achieved? I'm toying with mounting my RF to EF adapter on the the lathe since I won't use a cheap adapter but... :unsure: :cry:

Jack
In a word, No! I've played around with RF to EF adapter + stacked EF TCs but not for serious photography.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Moose with C8 radio collar at Poudre Lake on the Continental Divide in Colorado at around 10,700' elevation with heavy clouds around sunset. Snow in the forecast for the next few days. Winter will likely close US34 / Trail Ridge Road in about a month or so.

R6, RF800, monopod.
DMR66688.jpg
DMR66725.jpg

R6, RF 50 f/1.8
DMR66780.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Moose with C8 radio collar at Poudre Lake on the Continental Divide in Colorado at around 10,700' elevation with heavy clouds around sunset. Snow in the forecast for the next few days. Winter will likely close US34 / Trail Ridge Road in about a month or so.

R6, RF800, monopod.
View attachment 200280
View attachment 200281

R6, RF 50 f/1.8
View attachment 200282

And the road closed yesterday for a while due to snow drifts. Won’t be long before it closes for the season. https://twitter.com/RockyNPS

Upvote 0
The fall weather was spectacular yesterday so I grabbed the camera and headed to Jægersborg Dyrehave here outside Copenhagen. As luck would have preparation, a small group of Red Deer (Kronhjort) was grazing closely to the Københavns Golfclub house and I happened to come up to get them backlighted. These male deer seemed not to have been able to gather any females for themselves and had resigned to grazing peacefully together (the mating season is, as fas as I know, over).

The Deer garden have approximately 2.000 Red deer, Sika deer and Fallow deer.

Both shot with 1Dx, 20-400 1.4x ext, at 1/320s, ISO 400, f/5.6 on a monopod.

"Whatcha you looking at bud'? You talkn' tuff to me?"
- Red Deer, probably
IMG_9869s.JPG

"I fart in your general direction!"
- Red Deer, after deciding I'm not dangerous to him
IMG_9877s.JPG

More information about Jægersborg Dyrehave from Naturstyrelsen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0