Quad-Pixel AF and a global shutter coming in 2021?

You already have that capability with DualPixel RAW, it's just nobody is processing it that way.
I always wondered why DPRaw didn't have any real applications. Only DDP could extract the information if I recall correctly.
Has there been any usage of DPRaw in practical situations?

Upvote 0
I always wondered why DPRaw didn't have any real applications. Only DDP could extract the information if I recall correctly.
Has there been any usage of DPRaw in practical situations?

I know somebody wrote a utility that uses the DualPixel RAW to extend dynamic range by improving highlight headroom but I haven't heard anything other than that.

Upvote 0
The 5DIII and 5DIV in particular are excellent cameras. The 5DSR is great at ISO 100 and on a tripod. I would call them no excuse cameras. If you can't take a good photograph with them its not because they are a bad camera but that the photographer needs to improve.

LOL, the 5DsR could be easily used up to ISO 3200 the same as the 5D3 and still was superior for IQ when downsampled to 22MP. The AF of the 5DsR was also more reliable and I sold my 5D3 about a week after getting the 5DsR and used it a lot even for birding where it was regularly at ISO 400 - 1600. In fact I often used it more than my 1DX when FL the IQ was so vastly superior.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
BG-R10, problem solved, the R1 will be heavier than an R5 with a battery grip.

Probably not. The 5D series with a grip is actually heavier than the 1Dx.

1Dx IIII 3.17lb with battery; 2.75 lb w/o battery

5DIV 1.76 lb BG grip 1.165 lb, two batteries .25 lb each = 3.425 lb; 2.925 w/o batteries

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Thank you for the suggestion, but alas it doesn’t scratch the itch.

The grip only adds bulk to the bottom; it does not make the body wider.
Being longer means it fits in the palm of the left hand more comfortably.

Probably not. The 5D series with a grip is actually heavier than the 1Dx.

1Dx IIII 3.17lb with battery; 2.75 lb w/o battery

5DIV 1.76 lb BG grip 1.165 lb, two batteries .25 lb each = 3.425 lb; 2.925 w/o batteries
1DX III 1440g
5D IV 890+390+79=1359g

And the 1DX II was the correct model to compare it with since it is the same generation, which is heavier (1530g)

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
The summer olympics would have been a relative bump in sales though which hasn't happened yet.

Not particularly. For example here is Getty's entire inventory for the last Summer Olympics:

getty_gears_up_for_olympics-768x415.jpg.optimal.jpg

40 1-series isn't going to make or break profit for Canon.

Again, the Olympics really aren't that big a deal in terms of pro camera use. For example think how many photos will be shot at the US Presidential Inauguration tomorrow. And that's just one event in one country on one day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's reasonable to expect both Canon and Nikon to sell both a DSLR and a ML top of the line for awhile. You aren't going to convince too many people to switch over overnight. Especially while the lens line up fills out.

They don't have to use HDMI. SDI 12 could be used instead.

The advantage of HDMI is you can plug it into any consumer equipment around the house but I'm guessing the average TV station would be better served by SDI.

Upvote 0
It's reasonable to expect both Canon and Nikon to sell both a DSLR and a ML top of the line for awhile. You aren't going to convince too many people to switch over overnight. Especially while the lens line up fills out.

They don't have to use HDMI. SDI 12 could be used instead.

The advantage of HDMI is you can plug it into any consumer equipment around the house but I'm guessing the average TV station would be better served by SDI.
I would imagine that Canon will keep SDI for their cinema cameras as a differentiator. Although SDI connector locks well, it also takes up a lot of real estate on the body. A full sized HDMI would better suit the form factor IMHO

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Reason why I do not believe why a 1-Series MILC will come out in 2021 as of this writing
  • Canon Inc is a for profit company that will produce products in line with customers needs/wants so long as it is profitable
  • Customers of the 1-Series like bulk buying photo news agencies surveyed between 2017-2020 wanted an SLR and not a MILC
  • EF 600mm & 400mm were updated to Series III in 5-Sep-2018
  • 1D X Mark III was announced 378 days ago and was initially released in some markets on February 2020 while others got it as late as July 2020
  • Market for flagship bodies is too small to support more than 1 "new" one at the same time
  • Having 2 "new" flagships at the same time would halve that market, doubles the R&D cost and would not pay for the R&D of last year's model
  • 1D X Series sees a replacement every ~4 years to coincide with the Summer Olympics that occurs months later
  • Not enough RF mount lenses
  • No 300mm, 400mm, 500mm, 600mm or even 800mm are available now
  • This year's Olympics is 6 months away and there is not much lead time for the R1 to come out.
  • The wants/wishes of outliers like those on a photo forum does not reflect the totality of the photographic market
  • Rumors of flagship models gets a lot of clicks. How many times has CR published rumors of a Series II 800/5.6 or 200/2.0?
  • Back orders for the R5 & R6 are high and are produced in batches on demand.
  • Rescheduled 2020 Summer Olympics occurring in July 2021 may even happen
Will the R1 be priced at
  • $4,499 to compete with the Sony a9 II?
  • $6,499 to compete with Nikon and Canon's 1D X Mark III?
  • $7,149 to cover any development cost projected reduction of economies of scale?
As courtesy to people who do not give any citation for their counter position I did a bit of snooping for you
  • 549 days is the shortest product cycle between 1-Series bodies
  • This occured 22-Feb-2007 to 20-Oct-2009 from 1D Mark II to 1D Mark IIn
  • As applied to the 1D X Mark III the R1 would have come out 22-Jul-2022, 2 days before the Olympics
  • An R1 in 2021 could happen but it is unlikely to occur until Q1 2024

I feel safer with FAANG

Idealized R1 release would go like this
  • 7-Jan-2020 would announce the R1
  • 2018 would announce the RF mount 600mm, 400mm, 70-200/2.8 IS, 70-200/4 IS, etc.
  • 2018-2020 would announce 200/2.0, 300/2.8, 500/4 or even 800/5.6
To be honest I was surprised Canon even bothered offering the 1D X Mark III because of the RP, R and Ra bodies then it dawned on me that those buying a 1-Series body are very conservative with their mission-critical hardware so prefer SLRs over MILC.
Several things to consider:
  1. Canon released very aggressive cameras with the R5/R6
  2. The R5 provides a great look at Canon capabilities with mirrorless
  3. The R5/R6 has given Canon the ability to test new technologies and determine where they need to fine tune their R1 approach.
  4. The R1 has probably been in development as long / longer than the R5, with quad pixel sensor work beginning even earlier (including software development)
  5. Most of the capabilities in an R1 would be building on the capabilities of the R5, making the R1 "better", more "capable", and "reliable".
  6. Many of the "issues" could be solved with different components - new VF for faster readout/display, more memory for faster transfers, dual CFexpress cards, etc, etc.
Basically, more refinement and doing everything better than the R5 (look at 1dx II/5dIV relationship). I am sure Canon released the 1dx III because development was not complete on the R1 and they were not going to release a substandard product. Canon has jumped into the mirrorless market with both feet and I am sure they do not want to loose there coveted professional market. If Nikon and Sony are on track to release pro cameras this year, Canon will not be far behind.

Time will tell...

Upvote 0
Several things to consider:
  1. Canon released very aggressive cameras with the R5/R6
  2. The R5 provides a great look at Canon capabilities with mirrorless
  3. The R5/R6 has given Canon the ability to test new technologies and determine where they need to fine tune their R1 approach.
  4. The R1 has probably been in development as long / longer than the R5, with quad pixel sensor work beginning even earlier (including software development)
  5. Most of the capabilities in an R1 would be building on the capabilities of the R5, making the R1 "better", more "capable", and "reliable".
  6. Many of the "issues" could be solved with different components - new VF for faster readout/display, more memory for faster transfers, dual CFexpress cards, etc, etc.
Basically, more refinement and doing everything better than the R5 (look at 1dx II/5dIV relationship). I am sure Canon released the 1dx III because development was not complete on the R1 and they were not going to release a substandard product. Canon has jumped into the mirrorless market with both feet and I am sure they do not want to loose there coveted professional market. If Nikon and Sony are on track to release pro cameras this year, Canon will not be far behind.

Time will tell...
Those are not several things but 6. ;)

R1 was not released as the surveyed bulk buyers and other 1-Series customers from 2017-2019 prefer SLRs.

That may have changed within the last 52 weeks but the question I'd pose is is Canon willing to take the financial lose of Osborning the 1D X Mark III and Series III EF 600/4 & EF 400/2.8?

Now, if Canon released a RF 600/4 & RF 400/2.8 in 2018 instead and R1 in 2020 instead then that would have been better.

I have no doubt that the MILC tech for the R1 has been there for more than 2 years already but what is needed to support a 1-Series body is the appropriate lens and accessories for it. Thus far only the three L f/2.8 zooms are there. No white long fast primes.

Nikon themselves admitted that their transition to MILC was slow. By my estimate by 2 years. Canon was late by 1.

Sony timed it perfectly. Their FE 400/2.8 came out in 2018, FE 600/4 and a9 II came out in 2019.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
LOL, the 5DsR could be easily used up to ISO 3200 the same as the 5D3 and still was superior for IQ when downsampled to 22MP. The AF of the 5DsR was also more reliable and I sold my 5D3 about a week after getting the 5DsR and used it a lot even for birding where it was regularly at ISO 400 - 1600. In fact I often used it more than my 1DX when FL the IQ was so vastly superior.
What's all this "was" and past tense stuff ? It still is ! ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0