Question: To be expected native ISO range in 1DxII, 5DIV, 6DII?

Jul 21, 2010
Hi,
Looking at the evolutionary development and some vague hints at enhanced sensor tech by Canon, which native ISO range can be expected concerning upcoming bodies including all the necessary components: architecture, processors, etc? I can't care less for marketing gimmickish ISO3.2 Mega. But a decent enhancement and lesser noise within the 12800-25600 range (especially in the next 5D) would be very welcomed...

1DXII 22 MP: ISO 100-102.400 or 204.800?
5DIV 24-28 MP: ISO 100-51200 or 102400?
6DII 24 MP: (slightly lower MP count similar to the first version?) ISO 100-51200?

These questions are way too hypothetical of course, it's mere guess work by interpolating current data and hints given the announcements this past week. Would be great if anyone of the experts here could add their 0.2 cents. Thanks and regards, Peter

Oct 19, 2012
Hope that 1DX II will have at least 1 stop better high ISO than my 1DX or even better.
Not much interested in crazy high ISO, just would like to see that at ISO 6400 quality is better than at ISO 3200, preferably close to curren 1DX at ISO 1600. And for ISO 12800 close to current ISO 3200.
So if native ISO would be still the same as on current 1DX but much better quality this should be OK for me.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Good point. For a next 5D I'd want a similar situation, chances are that Canon might increase the MPs way too much on this one, so I would wait it out and see what the 6DII looks like. Wish they delievered it with a 24 MP sensor...in comparison to the current situation 1Dx 18 MP/ 6D 20 MP. Although, after reading the experts here, MP is only a fractional component concerning IQ...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Mt Spokane Photography said:
In the past, 1/2 to 3/4 stop was considered normal for a new model. Its been getting smaller for newer cameras, so lower noise on-chip A-D converters will be seen.

The higher jpeg ISO's do not reflect sensor improvements, just better in camera processing and more NR.

Got your point Mt Spokane, the real McCoy always was RAW. So, can we reckon with on-chip A-D converters in the future 5D and 6D as well?

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
People should jump for joy if there is a legitimate, real-world 1 stop improvement over the previous generation. As 1 stop is a LOT of improvement.

Forget all this Nikon hype. Besides the H-modes going into the millions just to get more clicks and buzz by consumer electronics bloggers, even the native ISO is probably 1/3 - 1/2 stop too high.

After all, what is the measure in terms of noise / quality per stop or to determine a max native ISO? A manufacturer can say anything they want.

The only thing that keeps them in check, sorta - is the previous generation and ISO claims. Then tediously comparing images side by side and coming to a consensus.

The same way one person says "yeah, I shot at 12,800 and got perfectly useful images" ...whereas another photographer cannot go beyond 1600 for their needs.

Considering that the very latest crop sensors are still behind FF by 1.3-1.5 stops...to state an improvement of a full stop brings current generation sensor tech to the point where crop is almost as good or as good as previous generation FF sensors. That is a big claim and a big leap.

I expect a realistic 1/2 stop improvement. That would be good and on par. 3/4 would be very welcomed news. No way we'll see 1 stop. I think what is more important at this point is improving DR. Aside all the endless DR discussion, where I defend Canon most of the time, it is also fair to say they could use an improvement here. Canon is a little behind in DR at low ISO. An increase here would be good.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
K said:
After all, what is the measure in terms of noise / quality per stop or to determine a max native ISO? A manufacturer can say anything they want.

Native ISO is achieved by analog amplification prior to digitization. Expanded ISOs are digitally pushed (or pulled) after digitization. As you state, that says nothing about noise or IQ.

Upvote 0