R Series Rear Lenscap

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I hate it. 100%. But my main question is, WHY? Like honestly. Why was it changed? There has to be a reason. It's worse in every way but aesthetic I guess.
The RF mount itself is no longer rotational symetric, the EF mount was close enough that the lens caps would fit in all 3 orientations. Since Canon does not want any confusion when it comes to mounting the wrong type of lens to wrong body, we're stuck with those blasted end caps.

Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
The RF mount itself is no longer rotational symetric, the EF mount was close enough that the lens caps would fit in all 3 orientations. Since Canon does not want any confusion when it comes to mounting the wrong type of lens to wrong body, we're stuck with those blasted end caps.
So this is to help prevent accidental damage to the mounts? At least there is a technical reason. I guess then my next overblown outrage would be over improving the markings and such. Since it has to be so exact. Thank you for the explanation, it drives me nuts every time I swap lenses.

Upvote 0