R3 Freezing Up

Jan 29, 2011
Not if the camera freezes up.

Bride and father start walking down the aisle. Camera freezes. You frantically switch it off. Nothing happens. Still frozen and on. You yank the battery. Put the battery back in. And then...a) you try again and it immediately freezes or b) you switch from "record separately" to recording to the SD slot and maybe that works.

Bride and her father are already at the altar.

Option 3 would be to immediately yank the lens off the R3, yank the lens off your second body (R5), put the lens on the R5 and start shooting. Bride and father are just walking past you.
In that situation I would calmly step into the aisle and hold my hand up to temporally stop the bride and groom. I would have told them several such prearranged signals before at the rehearsal, my most used one is hand moved up and down to slow the processional and recessionals down, they always walk to fast.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
In that situation I would calmly step into the aisle and hold my hand up to temporally stop the bride and groom. I would have told them several such prearranged signals before at the rehearsal, my most used one is hand moved up and down to slow the processional and recessionals down, they always walk to fast.
Sounds like the voice of experience.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Sounds like the voice of experience.
Born from the days of film with 36 exposures…

I know cameras are immeasurably better now than they were back then, but it seems with every improvement users find two more things to complain about ;)

What AF, auto iso, FV mode, etc etc can never do is replace the experience of real world things going wrong.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Update: Switched to SanDisk CFExpress 256mg cards tonight. Had two lockups during two basketball games. So, switching cards is not the solution. (Although that is certainly better than what I experienced with the Transcend cards.)

The first time, I removed the battery and reinserted it and that cleared it. The second time I just turned the locking switch on the battery to release the battery and that reset it. I've got another two games on Saturday and we will see what happens. I hoping that simply twisting the lock/unlock handle on the battery will reset it, which is a lot faster than removing the battery.

If it happens again on Saturday I may try resetting everything to the factory settings and then re-doing my custom settings (which aren't that extensive.)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Update: Switched to SanDisk CFExpress 256mg cards tonight. Had two lockups during two basketball games. So, switching cards is not the solution. (Although that is certainly better than what I experienced with the Transcend cards.)

The first time, I removed the battery and reinserted it and that cleared it. The second time I just turned the locking switch on the battery to release the battery and that reset it. I've got another two games on Saturday and we will see what happens. I hoping that simply twisting the lock/unlock handle on the battery will reset it, which is a lot faster than removing the battery.

If it happens again on Saturday I may try resetting everything to the factory settings and then re-doing my custom settings (which aren't that extensive.)
I don‘t know your methodology with new cards but I format them out of the packet in the camera, they then only ever get used in that one camera. I use a card reader on the computer to copy images only. All deleting and reformatting is done with the camera.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

snapshot

5d2,5d4,r5
CR Pro
Jul 24, 2020
I don‘t know your methodology with new cards but I format them out of the packet in the camera, they then only ever get used in that one camera. I use a card reader on the computer to copy images only. All deleting and reformatting is done with the camera.

Hope that helps.
I delete files from the card with my computer, but otherwise my card methodology is the same as yours. Format on camera. Keep card with camera. Am using Delkin 512GB CFE on my R5, no lockups so far.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Hope that helps.
I format the card in camera. However, I don't assign a card to only one camera, but I do reformat each time I put the card in the camera. I copy images from card to computer using a card reader. Reformat the card after images are safely stored on the computer and have been processed. So, the only difference is I may use the same card in the R3 as in the R5, but it is reformatted for the camera before reuse.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
During a trip to Alaska I had two R3 bodies and about once a day either camera would lock up and say BUSY using a RF 2X extender and the RF 100-300 mm f2.8 lens. I could not power down the camera. I had to manually remove and reinsert the battery to rest that camera and all was fine.

A very strange occurrence, but I really hope Canon gets this bug fixed in the R1. Also when shooting wildlife action having a deeper buffer at 30 fps would be very beneficial.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0