R5/6 IBIS

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Quick question for R5/R6 owners (mine is not here yet)….is the IBIS always on? Or is it something that you need to turn off when shooting on a tripod like regular lens-based IS?

I obviously have never used a camera with IBIS, but sure hope to soon!

Thanks for any info.
You can turn it off completely, but you can't choose to use IS on the lens with IBIS off, or vise versa.

I don't see any reason to do things differently than with my dSLR when using a tripod. Personally, when I remember to, I turn off IS/IBIS when on a tripod, but I know there are photographers who don't. Maybe birders who are more likely to be tracking the subject while on the tripod? But for still subjects, I turn mine off.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
You can turn it off completely, but you can't choose to use IS on the lens with IBIS off, or vise versa.

I don't see any reason to do things differently than with my dSLR when using a tripod. Personally, when I remember to, I turn off IS/IBIS when on a tripod, but I know there are photographers who don't. Maybe birders who are more likely to be tracking the subject while on the tripod? But for still subjects, I turn mine off.

Just where does one turn it off?
I looked at the manual and it says that the IBIS switch will not be visible in the menu if you use AV, TV, M, P, or FV.
As I use only M and AV the menu item never appears.

As an aside, when I bought my 70-200 f2.8L IS V1 in '02 they said that the lens would automatically detect when the camera was on a tripod and disable the IS. That is flat wrong and is not true of any IS lens. I have the blurry shots to prove it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 9.20.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 9.20.29 PM.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Just where does one turn it off?
I looked at the manual and it says that the IBIS switch will not be visible in the menu if you use AV, TV, M, P, or FV.
As I use only M and AV the menu item never appears.

As an aside, when I bought my 70-200 f2.8L IS V1 in '02 they said that the lens would automatically detect when the camera was on a tripod and disable the IS. That is flat wrong and is not true of any IS lens. I have the blurry shots to prove it.

That just means your tripod was not stable enough for the camera to detect it was stationary.

Upvote 0