R5 Communication function OFF Service

Dj 7th

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 22, 2019
I am not sure if this had been discussed anywhere, if so, moderator please delete. So I went to the Canon R5 page and noticed this service.

1. I have not heard anything about it before.
2. I was wandering what you gain by disabling the wireless communication function of the R5 and the other cameras? Battery life? If so why not put it in Airplane Mode.

If anyone understands the merit of doing this, especially for a fee, can you please let me know.

BELOW is a paste from the website.

We have released a new upgrade service for the EOS 5D Mark IV, EOS R5 and the EOS-1D X Mark II. This upgrade disables the following menus from the display:

Wireless communication function tab:
  1. Wi-Fi/Bluetooth connection
    • Connect to smartphone
    • Remote control (EOS Utility)
    • Transfer images to FTP server
    • Upload to Web service
    • Connection to Wireless Remote
  2. Airplane mode
  3. Wi-Fi settings
  4. Bluetooth settings
  5. Nickname
  6. GPS device settings
  7. Image transfer
  8. Resetting communication settings
  9. Battery charging order (camera priority/WFT priority) 1
  10. WFT setting 1
*1 Menu displays only when Battery Grip WFT-R10 is attached.
Please note:

1. Wi-Fi/Bluetooth hardware are built-in and are disabled by the firmware2.
  2. 2 Although there is some robustness against firmware tampering, it does not ensure complete robustness or invalidation.
  3. The communication function OFF specification can be confirmed on the menu screen. With the communication function OFF specification, the ‘Wireless communication function’ tab is hidden, and network/Bluetooth and GPS function settings cannot be selected.
  4. The communication function OFF specification is possible with Firmware Version 1.2.0. Cameras with the communication function OFF specification cannot be changed to a previous firmware version.
  5. With the communication function OFF specification, it is possible to assign "Wi-Fi/Bluetooth connection" to some buttons when setting Custom Controls, but please note that the screen display does not change even if you press the buttons.
Pricing

Model
Price*​
EOS 5D Mark IV
$120.00​
EOS R5
$120.00​
EOS-1D X Mark III
$120.00​
*Tax and shipping fees are NOT included
*All pricing is subject to change

Thank you,
Customer Support Operations
Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Contact Information for Inquiries
Canon Customer Support Center
Phone:1-800-OK-CANON (toll free)
1-800-652-2666
For additional support options: usa.canon.com/support

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
Privacy and security should be the main reason. It is possible to track a person when the camera he/she carries broadcasts Bluetooth hardware address. Some secure premises do not allow this.
Very interesting indeed. Never thought of that but it certainly make sense.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
@bhf3737 Touched on tracking.

But I think the bigger play is the following...
Network security (don't want to have any additional points of entry into a network).
Security of information (don't want pictures/files leaked out).
Rogue wireless transmissions that may cause interference (think hospital or critical equipment setting).

As a user, no one would do this to their camera.
As a company, allowing this service prevents anyone from bypassing the protection.

Since it's the latter, I'm sure that's why it's a paid service as companies would pay to lock down equipment.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
For me, it does not limit the camera. Instead, it would increase my privacy and anonymity.

Turning the options off accomplishes the same thing. However, the paid feature, would never let you turn them back on since it removes the options completely (w/o also paying for a reversal change). Plus it would kill your resale value.

I personally, keep my camera in airplane mode to save batty life. However, I cannot use my remote or remotely controlling my camera w/ cellphone w/o Bluetooth/WiFi respectively.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
For me, it does not limit the camera. Instead, it would increase my privacy and anonymity.
But it would limit the camera, you’d no longer have features that can be useful. Ever forget your remote release? Use your phone, you get live view too. Ever wonder where you took an image, look up the GPS, or the other way around, do you know where you took an image but can’t find it in your library, use the map function in LR.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
But it would limit the camera, you’d no longer have features that can be useful. Ever forget your remote release? Use your phone, you get live view too. Ever wonder where you took an image, look up the GPS, or the other way around, do you know where you took an image but can’t find it in your library, use the map function in LR.
Features I'd rather not have. If I can pay to turn those off, I will. :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Turning the options off accomplishes the same thing. However, the paid feature, would never let you turn them back on since it removes the options completely (w/o also paying for a reversal change). Plus it would kill your resale value.

I personally, keep my camera in airplane mode to save batty life. However, I cannot use my remote or remotely controlling my camera w/ cellphone w/o Bluetooth/WiFi respectively.
Actually, it may not accomplish the same thing.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
But you can turn them off without paying, I think that is the point. This option is for people who want or need to pay to have the features actually removed.
Lol. I find it fascinating that it would concern anyone that I'd rather have them removed.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Lol. I find it fascinating that it would concern anyone that I'd rather have them removed.
Well you posted that you’d pay for it, I wondered the reasoning behind that considering it can be disabled for free. I wasn't questioning your choice, I was interested in the specifics of the reasoning. It’s not like I walked up to a random person to ask them a question you already proffered your opinion.

If you used your camera in secure or sensitive locations I could understand the reasoning to pay for something you can get for free. Similarly if you worked in countries where GPS use is restricted or forbidden then being able to show those normally available features were removed from your camera makes sense. Other than situations like that I can't see the utility of paying to devalue your camera but I am always happy to learn.

I don't understand why being interested in your opinion is either fascinating or makes you laugh out loud!

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020

For me it was concern you didn't know what the feature was entirely. Once I realize that you "wanted" it... than it was disbelief that a consumer would actually pay for it. Regardless, if you want to pay to have options removed, go for it. Like PBD said, you offered the info... and some of us are just trying to wrap our heads around the logic as it makes no sense as a consumer. To me this would be just like buying a new car w/ the big screen radio/console/NAV... and then pulling it out on delivery because you don't like to listen to music (vs just not turning the radio on).

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Well you posted that you’d pay for it, I wondered the reasoning behind that considering it can be disabled for free. I wasn't questioning your choice, I was interested in the specifics of the reasoning. It’s not like I walked up to a random person to ask them a question you already proffered your opinion.

If you used your camera in secure or sensitive locations I could understand the reasoning to pay for something you can get for free. Similarly if you worked in countries where GPS use is restricted or forbidden then being able to show those normally available features were removed from your camera makes sense. Other than situations like that I can't see the utility of paying to devalue your camera but I am always happy to learn.

I don't understand why being interested in your opinion is either fascinating or makes you laugh out loud!
As already stated, enhanced anonymity and privacy. With GPS on, a set of satellites have a reading and cipher where I am. Thing is, my phone already does that all the time. Even when GPS isn't being used on the phone, it is being used. WiFi? I, again, prefer to not emit a signal, ever. Not even accidentally. While those features are probably very useful to some, I find them intrusive on my peace. I most often leave the phone at home. So since we buy the camera with all the features, rather than paying for options, I'm happy to pay for removal of what I don't want. Not disabled, removed.

Upvote 0
Turning the options off accomplishes the same thing. [...]
I agree but some options cannot be turned off permanently and that may cause a problem in certain cases. The R5's built-in Bluetooth is always on and uses a low-energy protocol to links up to compatible devices automatically. The moment you turn the camera on it becomes potentially trackable. There are some places (e.g. military, government, hospitals, high-tech manufacturing, etc.) that you need to take a camera to document something but the host does not allow any tracking device in for security or other reasons. They may want a guarantee that the communication function on the camera will never turns on even by accident. This may be the only option to guarantee security or safety and still have a usable camera at hand for documentation. As it may be a niche use-case, those really who want/need it usually have enough money to pay for it.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I agree but some options cannot be turned off permanently and that may cause a problem in certain cases. The R5's built-in Bluetooth is always on and uses a low-energy protocol to links up to compatible devices automatically. The moment you turn the camera on it becomes potentially trackable. There are some places (e.g. military, government, hospitals, high-tech manufacturing, etc.) that you need to take a camera to document something but the host does not allow any tracking device in for security or other reasons. They may want a guarantee that the communication function on the camera will never turns on even by accident. This may be the only option to guarantee security or safety and still have a usable camera at hand for documentation. As it may be a niche use-case, those really who want/need it usually have enough money to pay for it.

The first part of what you stated is simply not true. When you turn off the WiFi & Bluetooth options in the camera, those devices are disabled. Same if you put it in airplane mode (which is the whole reason about unrestricted transmissions). They do not re-enable until you go back in and change the settings again. I can guarantee this 'service' is just a custom firmware that turns off the exact same settings, behind the scenes, ultimately doing the same exact thing, except it also removes/obscures the options so the user can not turn them back on again.

The rest of the things you mentioned, I also mentioned earlier in this post on why someone would buy this firmware to permanently disable those options (that part is just regurgitating what I already stated).

However, if you take my post in context to what I was quoting... if only doing it for privacy/anonymity. Turning the options off does accomplish the same thing.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0