R5 Firmware 1.5.2 is out

Status
Not open for further replies.
このファームウエアは、以下の変更を盛り込んでおります。

1. RF800mm F5.6 L IS USM、RF1200mm F8 L IS USMに、エクステンダー RF1.4x、またはエクステンダー RF2xを装着したときのAF精度を最適化しました。
    • Upgrade to the AF when the RF800 F5.6, RF1200 F8, RF1.4x extender or the RF2x extender are attached.
  2. 人物の瞳検出の安定性を向上しました。
    • Improvement to stability of human eye detection.
  3. 動体撮影時のAFの追従性を向上しました。
    • Improved AF tracking when shooting moving objects.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Shot about 20 shots of my cat walking across the living room and had about 2 out of 20 shots that were sharp on the eye. My daughter got home from school and had her walk and then run and jump, and all,but one, are severely OOF, all back focused.

I don’t know what Canon is doing to claim any improvement, but I’m about done with this BS.

I shoot much less nowadays as I’m more invested in another hobby, it just isn’t fun when I have to fight the gear to this extent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I took 42 shots of my son walking towards me, in a backlit environment, with eye detection set for People. Of those, 4 were grossly out of focus but I think that was my fault. The rest were all in focus.
The shooting distance varied from about 5m to 3m and I used the RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L IS USM lens.
P.S.
I added another 51 shots of Common Redpolls to my test and I have to confess that I'm impressed with my R5 now, being able to use Animal Eye Detection through bushes and branches.
I think my R5 is not pretty close in focus accuracy to my 1DX Mark III.
By the way, the firmware is posted here, I didn't have any problems downloading it:
usa.canon.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I took 42 shots of my son walking towards me, in a backlit environment, with eye detection set for People. Of those, 4 were grossly out of focus but I think that was my fault. The rest were all in focus.
The shooting distance varied from about 5m to 3m and I used the RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L IS USM lens.
P.S.
I added another 51 shots of Common Redpolls to my test and I have to confess that I'm impressed with my R5 now, being able to use Animal Eye Detection through bushes and branches.
I think my R5 is not pretty close in focus accuracy to my 1DX Mark III.
By the way, the firmware is posted here, I didn't have any problems downloading it:
usa.canon.com
This was my experience with 1.5 and 1.5.1. About 2 in 10 are keepers. I haven’t tried yesterday’s release, but now I’m not so hopeful. I think others have had luck with rolling back to 1.4.1 and then installing the upgrade; although, it may take multiple attempts to get it. I tried it a few times, no joy. The camera has been shelved in anticipation of this update.

Have to be honest myself, I’m in no mood to fight my camera either. I work in the art market and practice wildlife photography as a hobby. Having a reliable camera in our setup is a necessity for so many aspects of the job. I’ve lost confidence in the R5 and, by extension, canon.

Just mulling over whether or not the peace of mind I’d get from jumping ship to Sony is worth the hassle of selling all our canon bodies, accessories and lenses.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Still awaiting US release. I live in Japan, so I guess we get the upload a few hours earlier.

the above link in the original post is to the Japanese site.
Confusion has arisen because you have repeated another thread which started when the update was posted only on the Malaysian Canon site, before the Japanese one etc https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/canon-eos-r5-firmware-v1-5-2.41339/ and there are now two parallel threads With near identical titles.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Confusion has arisen because you have repeated another thread which started when the update was posted only on the Malaysian Canon site, before the Japanese one etc https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/canon-eos-r5-firmware-v1-5-2.41339/ and there are now two parallel threads With near identical titles.
By sheer minutes, so I imagine it was posted as I was writing mine and with Japan being an hour ahead of Malaysia the firmware was likely released here first. I don’t think there’s any confusion, though. At the time I made my post the firmware had not yet been released on the canon us site. It was still the 16th. Two threads? Oh my, the horror!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.